PDA

View Full Version : EASA-to-UK pilot licence conversion

ingridiines
10th May 2021, 08:34
Hi all,

Had a look around around Pprune but I couldn't find any info regarding waiting times for those of us who have EASA licences and have applied for a UK National ATPL. I applied around a month ago and wanted to know if anyone has received or heard anything further after applying?

Sick
10th May 2021, 09:27
In February, you posted you had converted from UKCAA to IAA, and now you are (permanently) going back to CAA? Surely just downloading the UK validation of the EASA IAA licence would be preferable? Are any UK employers insisting on conversion to a UK licence? I think I would decline the job offer if they did, at least until there is some clarity on mutual recognition. I was offered a job before Brexit with a UK operator and asked them if I would need to convert to CAA, and they said "God, no - hold fire on that"!

ingridiines
10th May 2021, 09:30
No, The CAA stated that its possible to hold both licences simultaneously. I intend to keep an EASA and have applied for a UK ATPL. My company is covering all costs…

Sick
10th May 2021, 09:43
Nice. I'd be interested to hear how you get on. When I did the conversion to UKCAA, start to finish was less than a month, so it looks like you have a hold up on one side or the other (I aborted the process just before completion as I decided not to join the UK airline, and stay where I was). I do wonder though that if as you say, the UK are ok with it, the IAA aren't, and they're waiting for you to SOLI out?

deltahotel
10th May 2021, 10:54
Just about to start this process. It’s not an issue with NAA as you’re not looking to SOLI out, but gain a UK licence alongside an EASA one. This from the CAA:Processing time Once the CAA is in receipt of your application, this will be added to the workflow and processed in strict date order. Due to the nature of this application process, in conjunction with the two-year recognition period, it will not be bound by our standard SLA.

Following the initial assessment, a request will be sent to your EU NAA for verification of the EASA Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence, and for confirmation of any current enforcement or revocation action.

Only once we are in receipt of the verification, and your UK medical has been issued, a UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL will be issued.

As this application requires that your EASA licence details are verified by the EU NAA that issued your non-UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence, we are reliant on the cooperation and turnaround of the other authority.

And I’m not expecting it to be quick!

back to Boeing
10th May 2021, 12:01
So they’re asking for the EASA authority to verify the licence that the U.K. CAA initially issued? Seems odd and an increase of their workload for no reason. But their train set I guess.

Sick
10th May 2021, 13:13
They don't do it for free!

8che
10th May 2021, 15:00
Applied in April. Not a word.. My experience of the SOLI was that the IAA were pretty good and the UK CAA dreadful. Having also got an FAA license the IAA did that verification within 24 hours of FAA request. I am confident the delay is down to the UK CAA not asking yet. The UK CAA now take the money with no information on times scales while stating it gets complicated if the original UK issued certificates they want to still be within date come up for a EASA revalidation. Fearing the worst for this "streamlined process". Meanwhile I continue to conduct LPC's on UK license holders as an EASA TRE while waiting for the UK CAA to reissue the licenses they issued and still have on their records.

Aviator64
10th May 2021, 16:38
I have converted my EASA ATPL to UK CAA on last year end. It tooks me more than 2 months to get everything done including postage. I applied on October 2020 and I received my UK licence on Dec. It was a fair process apart from getting verification of initial licence from issue state as it tooks almost one month.

justasmallfire
10th May 2021, 19:54
I've had my application in for a month so far (online portal) The UKCAA have always been a nightmare ,I have gone to Luxembourg for my EASA a breath of fresh air cheaper licence and fees and a human response to emails and calls with a usual 24 hour response time.
The UK have to ask for verification in case you have added or renewed anything ,why they just cant issue our licence as it was when SOLI'd out and then deal with renewals and the like I don't know it would be much simpler, the UK admin fees are disgusting aswell the same price as a new licence application. I would not bother applying but my present company requested to make it easier for LPC's ect . If I get a Licence issued by the end of the summer I would class that as expediated by UK CAA standards.
I'm still waiting for a refund after another licence issue let down from 12 months ago.

Information X.Ray
14th May 2021, 15:40
Hello all. So I am currently working towards my EASA fATPL and I am hoping to finish this in August. The license I will obtain will be a Spanish license and it will be under EASA. As a UK citizen I also want to obtain a UK CAA license. I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on this process? I would only be looking to obtain and hold both simultaneously, rather than giving one up and holding the other. I have heard information which is contradictory on the matter. I have heard that BGS is a good place to do the theory (In my case I would have to do three exams). I was wondering if anyone knows about the practical side of the matter? The skill tests and added hours if any? If anyone has gone through this process and knows a good school to do this/work with please post here.

Alex Whittingham
14th May 2021, 17:57
The UK CAA will accept your EASA ATO signing you off for the extra 3 exams. They will also recognise your flight training at the EASA ATO, you may need to be careful about the skills tests. If you can get them done with an examiner approved by both your EASA State and the UK CAA you should get away with one test, two bits of paper.

Moonwalker
18th May 2021, 11:28
Can you apply so you hold both a UK ATPL and an EASA ATPL? When I worked in the UK in the past I did it on my EASA licence without any problems. Now with Brexit, is it possible to hold both even if I never had a UK CAA ATPL before? From what I understand on the CAA webpage, the validation will only be valid up to Dec 2022 and if you try to convert to hold licences from both authorities. It will only be accepted if you held a UK licence in the past? Am I wrong on this bit?

deltahotel
18th May 2021, 13:39
Yes. Copy and paste from CAA for form SRG2158. Second para applies. What is this form for?
This form is used by flight crew to apply for a UK Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL Licence and/or examiner/instructor licensing certificate, when either:

•The applicant previously held a UK issued EASA Part-FCL Licence and/or examiner/instructor licensing certificate which was transferred to another EASA member state which issued their current Part-FCL Licence and/or examiner/instructor licensing certificate prior to the end of the EU-UK transition period on 31 December 2020, or

•The applicant has not previously held a UK issued Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL Licence and/or examiner/instructor licensing certificate which was transferred to another EASA member state prior to the end of the EU-UK transition period on 31 December 2020, but they do hold a Part-FCL/BFCL/SFCL licence and/or examiner/instructor licensing certificate whose date of initial issue by an EU state is prior to 1st January 2021.

CAA webpage:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Non-UK-licences/Conversion-of-an-EASA-flight-crew-licence-to-a-UK-part-equivalent-licence/

Also

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Medical/UK%20medical%20certificate%20for%20transferred%20out%20EU%20 Licence%20Holders.pdf

I’ve just started down this road as a previous UK licence holder. Amazingly I found the form quite simple, the equivalent medical form less so. Let’s see how long it takes for the licence issue!

Good luck!

Moonwalker
18th May 2021, 19:19
Good to hear all this! Thanks.

BTAP
20th May 2021, 15:17
Think I'm going to apply for the UK ATPL while the window is open to have both. My EASA AME is also UK registered - so hopefully one medical check every few years will cover both sign offs...

BTAP
20th May 2021, 16:07
If anyone receives any news then please can you give us a heads up. Cheers!

justasmallfire
21st May 2021, 10:45
Had email from UK CAA saying they were now processing mine and awaiting verification from my new EASA state ,Still some grey area on whether they require another medical, my old UK medical before SOLI last year is still valid I transferred records to new authority but kept my old certificate, My new authority was happy for me to use this until it expires. I checked online portal and now all ID documents and licence certified copy have been checked, Also my old medical so fingers crossed.

chief
24th May 2021, 10:08
Just a heads up...

So I applied on the 1st April for the UK CAA ATPL licence. I was previously a UK licence holder but like with the many, transferred over to the IAA. The process is currently very slow. As mentioned above by "deltahotel", the application is fairly pain free, however the medical form states that you need to provide all your medical history since I SOLI'd to the IAA. I questioned this with the CAA as I personally had no medical records other than an ECG. The CAA Medical Dept. said to me "just send in what you have"....so I did!? A few weeks later, I then got an e-mail stating that I needed to send them everything otherwise they'll cancel my application!! So thankfully my AME sent me through everything (Class one medicals, audiograms and ECG) which thankfully the CAA subsequently approved.. (So word of advice, grab all your medical history post leaving the UK CAA before sending the form - even though we are paying the CAA £105 for what, I am not sure...!?) The medical department then transfer approval of your medical to the FCL department who in turn verify the documents and then write to the appropriate authority. As mentioned, mine is the IAA - who in turn charge 75 Euros to provide verification to the CAA. The IAA request you fill out their document to say you are happy for the IAA to provide your details to the CAA. <Maybe I should set up my own licencing authority as this is where the money is>. Once the CAA have heard back, then I believe this is the last stage!! (I hope).

Still yet to receive the blue shiny licence with no valid ratings in it as I have no job :ugh: but fingers crossed I get it soon.:rolleyes:

Good luck to you all....

deltahotel
24th May 2021, 10:19
Well, you’re ahead of me - beyond an acknowledgement of my application nothing yet. Fortunately not crucial to employment at the moment so relatively unstressful. Didn’t realise the IAA would get involved especially as I’m still working on the original CAA AoCs!

Again - good luck all

ingridiines
24th May 2021, 16:27
Well I'm still waiting for mine, anyone got theirs yet?

Fat Dog
25th May 2021, 09:32
chief

Thanks for the info. I'm getting a joint EASA/UK medical renewal shortly (current IAA licence, previously held UK). I believe that having a current valid UK medical satisfies the medical criteria you have mentioned might be an issue. Can someone confirm this is indeed the case? Thanks.

deltahotel
25th May 2021, 10:41
The link below is (should be) the CAA flow chart for medical certificates.

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Medical/UK%20medical%20certificate%20for%20transferred%20out%20EU%20 Licence%20Holders.pdf

Good luck

ps. If you’ve had any tests eg ecg or audio gram since starting with EASA medicals you’ll probably need those.

Information X.Ray
22nd Jul 2021, 06:20
Hello all

Wondering if anyone on here has had any new information in regards to these conversions? I am currently looking at getting my EASA license next month or the month after and I am planning on obtaining a CAA license in conjunction with this. As I have obtained this license after the start of 2021 I know I may need to resit some exams and skill tests. I was wondering if there was anyone on here who has obtained a license this year who has managed to jump through the hoops?

annakm
25th Jul 2021, 09:01
EASA Licence/medical renewed beginning of May at Gatwick. Told I would received paperwork in 10 days - still waiting, despite numerous emails chasing…

Mike_Harrison
31st Jul 2021, 00:27
Hi Chief!

I also have a IAA licence.
I am interested also in having both licences.

The question I have is: how to I provide copies of my medical records to the UK CAA?
All the documents and papers are with the IAA, and they have to keep them.
So, my only option is to contact all the AMEs I used over the years, request copies and send them to the UK CAA?
Is that it?

deltahotel
31st Jul 2021, 07:07
Do a U.K. initial medical. This is what my EASA colleagues are doing.

rgds

Banana Joe
31st Jul 2021, 07:11
What's the average price of an initial medical in the UK? Does it have to be done at an AeMC or will a private AME do the job?

deltahotel
31st Jul 2021, 07:24
Centreline at their London office is 216+ ecg + CAA ++++

My previous AME couldn’t do initials so I guess only some can.

deltahotel
31st Jul 2021, 07:32
Have a look at the flow chart I posted a few posts back. If you’ve never held a U.K. licence you have to do an initial. I think.

Contact Approach
31st Jul 2021, 12:50
What a con.

Mike_Harrison
31st Jul 2021, 13:09
I believe the initial Class 1 medical has to be done at an AeMC.

According to the UK CAA website you have 3 options:

1. www.aeromedicalconsulting.co.uk (http://www.aeromedicalconsulting.co.uk/)
2. www.centrelineaviationmedicalservices.co.uk (http://www.centrelineaviationmedicalservices.co.uk/)
3. www.heathrowmedical.com

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Medical/Apply-for-a-Class-1-medical-certificate/ (http://www.heathrowmedical.com/)

Mike_Harrison
31st Jul 2021, 13:34
Banana Joe

https://www.heathrowmedical.com/services/initial-eu-easa-class-1-medicals/
"The charge for an Initial Class 1 medical is £570 inc. VAT (excluding referrals, casework etc if required.) Fees are payable at the time of booking via credit/debit card. Initial candidates will be also required to see our optometrist, undergo an ECG examination, have a finger prick blood test (comprising haemoglobin and cholesterol testing), salvia drug and breath alcohol testing, an audiogram, spirometry, urinalysis and a full comprehensive clinical examination."

chiplight2005
24th Dec 2021, 17:00
Yes unfortunately I thought the CAA had full access of medical records, and my application got denied.

737 CL
24th Dec 2021, 20:46
Hi. I have started the process of returning to the Uk ATPL at July. At the end of October the IAA send the final documents for the Issue and I am still waiting. Is it normal ?

deltahotel
24th Dec 2021, 21:28
Yes, I’m afraid it is!

TTOTT
24th Dec 2021, 22:28
Is it possible to hold an EASA ATPL and a UK CAA one at the same time? I thought it was not possible to hold 2 licences....

deltahotel
24th Dec 2021, 22:34
You can’t hold two EASA licences. Apart from that you can hold as many as you like.

ps. I currently hold IAA EASA and UK national licences

chiplight2005
27th Dec 2021, 20:19
When you do the e-licensing form on the portal what do you need to fill out? And do you attach your EASA licence to it? And does that have to be certified before you can attach it?