PDA

View Full Version : 64 hours in 14 days - can it be done?

Tip tank
11th Mar 2001, 19:05
I am off to San Diego in a few weeks to do 64 hours of P1 time in a 152 (plus checkout) on my way to the CPL modules.
I have only left myself 2 weeks in which to do this though.

Am I mad? Is it safe? I remember a thread a while ago about instructional hours in the saddle, but would anybody else think about doing as much as this in a short space of time?

TT.

landedoutagain
11th Mar 2001, 19:15
it shouldnt be too much, i did PPL in 12 days, and a few years later did almost as much as you need - most is 30 hours in days. you will be fine
LOA

plus the instructional thing is different i suspect - you may have to be watching people who cant fly for example

[This message has been edited by landedoutagain (edited 11 March 2001).]

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Mar 2001, 21:01
Yes but be careful - future employers might not be very impressed to read a log book that show an irresponsible amount of hours during a small period.

Good luck,

helimutt
11th Mar 2001, 22:02
I was always advised that 5 actual flying hours a day were enough for anyone. That was flying helicopters but I guess it's still a valid point

Imhotep
11th Mar 2001, 23:55
Back in '95 I did 87 Tomahawk hours in 12 days, so 60 should be a doddle. My advice, don't waste them, make sure you get your cross country day and night requirements and practice what you're bad at. Take plenty of fluids and food and go for it. There's plenty of places to go so you shouldn't be short of interesting destinations. Good luck!

Sensible
12th Mar 2001, 01:17
It will be nice for you to come home for the rest and recovery! I prefer around 4/5 hrs a day and a couple of days off a week!! But then I'm old! :)

Oh and, I see you are flying a 152 - If it's one of the old worn out trainers which most of them are, you need to allow some time for when you want to fly but the a/c doesn't if you know what I mean!

Edited to add the "oh and"

[This message has been edited by Sensible (edited 11 March 2001).]

AMS
12th Mar 2001, 03:09
Hi there..It could be done..but the weather in San Diego is worse than in the UK!! Also check that school has sufficient planes. What school are you thinking of??

AMS

RVR800
12th Mar 2001, 13:25
I wouldn't advise you to attempt this

Two reasons

1. Wx problems could stop you anyway
2. The quality of what you do may be diminished in your haste to achieve a
number of hours in a book

This is from practical experience

4 weeks would be OK
3 weeks is really pushing it
2 weeks - A number in a book, maybe

Sensible
12th Mar 2001, 14:55
I did 27 hrs xcountry in 7days and thought that was a lot of flying, one day lost due to wx though (it does happen) and it's unlikely that you will feel much like flying if you came off a transatlantic flight the day before.

Tip tank
12th Mar 2001, 15:52
Thanks to everybody - all points noted.
I am going to AAA and will probably just do as many hours as I feel is safe each day. If I need more I can finish them back in blighty or next time I am in the US. Given my timescale, I am probably not going to start the CPL flying modules for a while, so I shouldn't rush it I guess.
I have just made the decision to go for my commercial, so I am just tooo keen!

Thanks again.

Stan Evil
12th Mar 2001, 23:02
RVR800's point 2 is the most important one. You want a CPL which requires 150 hours in your log book to start. This flight time is supposed to indicate that you've got some experience and so will be able to cope with the very short course leading up to the CPL Skill Test. If you just convert petrol to noise as fast as you can in the US you'll end up spending extra money back home trying to pass the Skill Test. Get some experience out there - fly a complex type for some of the time. Concentrate on nav technique (not track crawling) and do some GH and IF if possible. Find a CPL instructor/examiner before you go and ask about the exercises you'll need on the skill test.