PDA

View Full Version : Vale Captain Peter Berbakov

blueys
4th May 2021, 23:18
Extremely sad to advise that Peter passed away at his home yesterday 04/05/2021 after a short illness
Our love and support to his beautiful wife Yai, son Peter Junior, daughter Mel and his extended family
Forever Young

triadic
5th May 2021, 01:09
Thanks Blueys, shocking news. Only had a coffee with him a few weeks ago. Peter & I learnt to fly about the same time at Royal Vic in the mid 60's and got back together in retirement in the past few years. He was a great mate and a good bloke. My condolences to Yai and family.
RIP mate.

tipsy2
5th May 2021, 04:10
I too had coffee with Peter a couple of weeks ago and due to have another next week. Peter and I stood together in July 1970 as the then PM Sir John Gorton officially opened Tullamarine Airport. My sincerest condolences to Yai and Peters family.
Tailwinds and blue skies Pete.

Lukim yu bihain

A sad Tipsy.:sad:

B747_4ever
5th May 2021, 11:54
It is hard to believe that we all have lost such a wonderful and loyal long time friend and Aviator . And so suddenly to make this tragedy all the more unbelievable.

I was in contact with Peter only in the past few days when he sent a text that he was forced to make an immediate diversion from his tennis match by Ambulance to Sunshine Coast University Hospital via direct tracking !

Peter advised that he was being admitted for observation, but typical of the man, he did admit that he was carrying out his own observation of the pretty young Nurses and Doctors.

Peter was one of our pioneer pilots in the initial days of Air Niugini when it was formed all those years ago. He went on to a most successful career and was highly respected by everyone. A pilot of rare talent and a true professional. I enjoyed many flights on the B707 with him and they were all very special indeed.

He later continued his sterling career flying for Air Maldives and later Thai International where he met a delightful Flight Attendant Yai, who captivated him instantly.

Next destination was Oman where he called Muscat home for many years, and soon became a Check and Training Captain for Oman Air Services, later becoming Oman Air. Peter was their top boy on the B737 fleet and he took pride in developing the Omani pilots to be among the highest standards in the Middle East.

Coolum on the Sunshine Coast became his retirement destination with Yai giving full support where he lead an active life just like he had done for his entire existence. I referred to him as the 'Mayor of Coolum' where he carried out regular 'unofficial' beach patrols plus regular social Tennis events and outings.
All of his many colleagues and friends will sorely miss his jovial nature who faced life head on with barely a care in the world, and conquered it well.

To Yai, Peter Junior and Melanie, we are all thinking of you at such a sad sad occasion and our thoughts and prayers go out to you.
RIP Balus Kepten tru. Bihain yumi olgeta lukim yupela long antap hap !

TWOTBAGS
6th May 2021, 21:42
In simple terms Swivel was a great mate.
I have many fond memories of us luxuriating around various poolside locations. Usually in the company of Shaggs and Snooky, the Swivel was in his element. I wanted to put a photo here of him but I he was never looking at the camera with his gaze diverted or I had one of the back of his head when I ended up jump seating with him in an A310 on the way back to BKK.
Lunch with Pete & Yai was always an event especially at the Coolum surf club after accosting him in the tourist info booth.
RIP i'll miss you old mate.

triadic
11th May 2021, 12:07
Memorial Service for Peter will be held Tues 18 May 11am (0100Z)
Gregson& Weight Funeral Directors, 139-159 Wises Rd Buderim
Dress comfortably

Live stream of the service at: https://www.gregsonweight.com.au/funeral-streaming:centre/
(recording of the service on the same link at any time)

After at the Buderim Tavern, 81 Burnett St Buderim

pocker pipty
11th May 2021, 22:09
Worked with Peter in Air Nuigini and Air Maldives. Through and through gentleman. RIP