PDA

View Full Version : China Copying SpaceX Starship

ORAC
3rd May 2021, 17:40
https://www.universetoday.com/151039/chinese-company-claims-to-be-working-on-a-starship-like-rocket/

Chinese Company Claims to be Working on a Starship-Like Rocket

...The clear resemblance between CALT’s rocket concept and the Starship is also in keeping with the way China has monitored SpaceX’s progress practically from inception. As Eric Berger noted in his recently-published book Liftoff (https://www.harpercollins.com/products/liftoff-eric-berger?variant=32126620205090&utm_source=Eric+Berger&utm_medium=athrtwttr&utm_campaign=Liftoff+Announcement) – which recounts the early struggles of SpaceX – a Chinese spy boat was stationed off the coast of Omelek Island (part of the Marshall Islands, South Pacific) in 2006 to watch the inaugural flight of the Falcon 1.

More recent examples include the incorporation of “grid fins (https://spacenews.com/chinese-long-march-launch-tests-grid-fins-for-safely-future-reusability/)” to the Long March 2C rocket (similar to the Falcon 9) for the sake of future reusability, as well as developing the Long March 8 to land on sea platforms (https://spacenews.com/china-rolls-out-long-march-8-rocket-for-weekend-test-flight/). China’s long-term plan for the Long March 9 (https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202011/26/WS5fbee72fa31024ad0ba967a7.html) – which will be the country’s most powerful heavy-lift system once it is in service (slated for the 2030s) – includes making it partly reusable.

In the meantime, it is not clear if China plans to develop a Starship-like rocket would include equipping it for missions to the Moon and Mars (in addition to point-to-point suborbital flights). But since regular missions to the Moon and Mars were also part of the roadmap, it’s entirely possible China intends to adopt the Starship design and mission profile in its entirety.......

https://youtu.be/mzNhrUQ_Qls

TURIN
3rd May 2021, 22:25
Not surprising really.

FakePilot
4th May 2021, 19:04
Good. Maybe they'll show NAA how its done. The agency whose's motto is "Naa can't do it". Sorry, I grew up with lots of managers and engineers from our (US) aerospace industry. Did you know every Westinghouse employee "knew the frequency of the B52's radar?" BTW if you got them angry they'd form a circle around you and chant "We. Put. The. Man. On. The. Moon."

wiggy
5th May 2021, 06:03
More recent examples include the incorporation of “grid fins (https://spacenews.com/chinese-long-march-launch-tests-grid-fins-for-safely-future-reusability/)” to the Long March 2C rocket (similar to the Falcon 9) for the sake of future reusability

Of course grid fins were developed and were being used in at least one or two spaceflight related applications way before "SpaceX"..

TURIN
5th May 2021, 15:13
Good. Maybe they'll show NAA how its done. The agency whose's motto is "Naa can't do it". Sorry, I grew up with lots of managers and engineers from our (US) aerospace industry. Did you know every Westinghouse employee "knew the frequency of the B52's radar?" BTW if you got them angry they'd form a circle around you and chant "We. Put. The. Man. On. The. Moon."

Who or what is NAA?

Jacob87
5th May 2021, 15:42
Well, the list of copycats was replenished with another country. I thought Russia would be the one and only country that can embarrass itself and copy Starship, but I see I was wrong. China disappointed me, but I see people here aren't surprised. When do other countries stop doing this and accept the fact that SpaceX is more successful than they are?

treadigraph
5th May 2021, 18:28
Who or what is NAA?

Only one I know is North American Aviation... built quite a lot of (largely) successful kit for NASA didn't they?

FakePilot
5th May 2021, 19:14
Who or what is NAA?

Some people mistakenly call it NASA, without realizing the severe damage to the advancement of human space travel it's caused. It's a combination of the hubris of the moon landing and the promotional childhood dreams of Golly Gee (chemical) rockets. We need to be thinking about space travel in a whole new way. I used to shred books and papers extolling the Space Shuttle during its development. Even as a little child I realized that a LEO glider was useless. Then to compound with how fragile the thing was. The only reason I didn't kick the one at the Udvar-Hazy I because I felt sorry for the staff that would have a to clean up a pile of ceramic bricks -might be worse than legos.

TURIN
5th May 2021, 22:06
No other country or private space exploration company has done anywhere near as much as NASA/USA has. Soviet Union certainly put in a good shift but ran out of money.

The future is private enterprise. SpaceX, Blue Origin, RocketLab, Sierra Nevada Corp etc and a dozen others..

ORAC
26th Jun 2021, 11:03
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/06/rocket-report-china-to-copy-spacexs-super-heavy-vulcan-slips-to-2022/

Rocket Report: China to copy SpaceX’s Super Heavy?

About two months ago, we reported (https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/04/chinas-state-rocket-company-unveils-rendering-of-a-starship-look-alike/) on China's state rocket company releasing a rendering of a spacecraft that looked a lot like SpaceX's Starship vehicle. Now, a senior Chinese space official says the country is modifying its plans for a very large rocket, the Long March 9. This booster, it turns out, also looks similar to the design of SpaceX's Super Heavy booster, which will serve as the first stage of Starship.....

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1219x687/lm9_rocket_design_drawings_and_performance_parameters_1fc143 d4329152c75f4769e52ec7120d5ce1d867.jpg

pax britanica
26th Jun 2021, 11:42
While there is a long history of reverse engineering isnt it equally likely that if you give two teams of engineers the same brief and the same computer simulation models they will come up with virtually the same design because in our data defined world that's what we should expect to happen.

Take a look at car design , small com[acts (not the actual mini) mostly look the same small-mid SUVs look the same etc etc . A few examples from history , British Vc 10 , long haul good field performance need to operate from lower grade airfields than main hub .Russian ILK62 long haul 4 engines good field performance and operating from second-grade airports , the result they look largely the same.
Four engine pure jet transport capable of transcontinental transatlantic operation version 1 B707 version2 DC 8 , how many pax could tell them apart.

So don't be too sure about the Chinese copying things, based on their huge population and all they have learned in the last 40 odd years they are no longer second class scientist and engineers often ignorant of technological development due to Chinas place in the world (ie seperate from it) . We will/are underestimating them at our peril, they have huge resources, no greedy ignorant shareholders wanting unrealitic paybacks and can take a long term view. And vast number sof their besta nd brightest engineers went to all the same western univeristies as their peers in the west.

ORAC
26th Jun 2021, 12:36
While there is a long history of reverse engineering isnt it equally likely that if you give two teams of engineers the same brief and the same computer simulation models they will come up with virtually the same design because in our data defined world that's what we should expect to happen.
Expect nobody did till SpaceX came along. Then up pop China with a look-alike.

Just hope SpaceX have been as forward thinking in their IT security as their rocket designs and the similarity is just skin deep.

If China’s work straight out of the box without repeating SpaceX’s crashes as they refined their designs and software I’ll be highly suspicious….

wiggy
26th Jun 2021, 15:46
Not completely convinced that it is pure reverse engineering, for the reasons pax b states..and I see the “arstechnica” author is another one who gives the impression of being confused about the provenance of grid fins….

ORAC
23rd Jan 2024, 14:00
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202401/23/WS65aef6f7a3105f21a507dba8.html

Chinese reusable rocket one step closer

A recent test by LandSpace, a leading private space launch company in China, has moved the company closer to its goal of building the nation's first reusable carrier rocket, according to industry observers.

The Beijing-headquartered LandSpace, which shot the world's first methane-propelled rocket into orbit last year, carried out its first "hop test" — in which a rocket lifts off to a certain altitude and then makes a controlled vertical landing — at the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwestern China's Gobi Desert on Friday.

During the one-minute "vertical takeoff and vertical landing (VTVL)" test, the experimental rocket reached a height of approximately 350 meters and then descended to softly land on a designated point with a descent speed of 0.75 meters per second and an accuracy of about 2.4 meters, according to the company.

The rocket's liftoff weight for the test was 50.3 metric tons, and it can contain more propellants in subsequent tests to a maximum overall weight of 68 tons, designers said.