View Full Version : Sea Fury incident, Yeovilton, 28/4/21 - both crew ok

28th Apr 2021, 15:12
Apparently the Sea Fury T.20 has force landed after a problem...

Navy Wings’ Sea Fury T.20 made a precautionary forced landing in a field next to RNAS Yeovilton following a problem with the engine on a routine training flight this afternoon. Both pilots are safe and well and have been taken to Yeovil district Hospital for a precautionary check-up. The cause is under investigation and both the CAA and Air Accident Investigation Branch have been informed. No further information is available at this time.

Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/NavyWingsUK/?hc_ref=ARQ7UpnNCnQ79YiS655kRPEBvUWr6iG4Wu07bOfL2Q5ouPS-E9PdYbRrP29Ha_JQmtY&fref=nf&__tn__=kC-R)

28th Apr 2021, 16:34
Looks like a write off...scroll down to the pics.

Self loading bear
28th Apr 2021, 17:17
The arm chair experts will state the cause as
”They cut the engine too early”

Glad both pilots are safe

28th Apr 2021, 20:18
Navy Wings reports that one pilot is being detained in hospital overnight for observation.

I agree that the photos look like a write-off, I would guess that an engine failure in a Sea Fury isn't a bundle of fun.

29th Apr 2021, 05:07
I would guess that an engine failure in a Sea Fury isn't a bundle of fun.

...or unusual, sadly.

Liffy 1M
29th Apr 2021, 19:41
This aircraft only arrived back at Yeovilton on the 23rd after its last rebuild.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51133938568_2ee027bcc5_c.jpgSea Fury arriving at RNAS Yeovilton by Doug Robertson, on Flickr

29th Apr 2021, 19:59
Wasn't a rebuild, it was from over-winter maintenance I believe.

old,not bold
30th Apr 2021, 09:47
I was lucky enough to blag 30 minutes in the back seat of that aircraft (or another naval Sea Fury?) as "consideration" for free storage for a few months, back in the '80s. It was a memorable flight, but what has stuck in my memory was that the emergency exit procedure for the passenger, triggered by the words "OUT, OUT, OUT", began with 19 turns on a little handle to wind the canopy back, presumably because there was no quick release.