PDA

View Full Version : My Voice Procedure is RS.

dysslexicgod
28th Apr 2021, 06:53
Out of practice, but when I hear the snappy repartee on the Area frequency ("Romeo Victor Romeo, Romeo Victor Romeo? Wherefore art thou Romeo? Contact me on ****.4"), I get depressed and tongue tied.

If that isn't enough, I take up too much time. Topped it off today by making my CTAF ten mile call on Area:(

Cure?

Ascend Charlie
28th Apr 2021, 11:09
Even stutterers can get by with some practice and good humour - Chris Braund of Mustang fame was a prime example, but the best one I actually witnessed was in WA, talking to the Geraldton FS:
"Wwwwwwwwhiskey delta eeeeeeee....eeeecho, abeam Lllllllancelin at ttttttttwo fffffive, fffffour thhthththousand, Gggggggeraldton at fffffivvvve ffffivvve"
(With much laughter going on in the background, the cruel FS operator says, "Whiskey Delta Echo...say again?"

Lead Balloon
28th Apr 2021, 11:49
Don’t let it get you down, dg.

First, I hear plenty of pilots mistakenly making CTAF calls on the Area frequency. (I reckon there are plenty of Airservices folk who wish they had a dime for each time they’ve transmitted: “ABC, your call was on Area.”) That’s just a cockpit discipline thing, requiring the same routine ‘checklist’ before transmitting. Part of the ‘checklist’ is: “Am I going to transmit on the frequency I want to transmit on?” (I still disable the squelch, temporarily, each time I change frequencies, to confirm the cockpit setttings are such that I’m actually going to hear something transmitted by someone else on the new frequency. My instructor was good.)

Secondly, practise. Maybe write down what you want to transmit on the scratchpad of your EFB or paper pad, then read it out once before pressing transmit and read it out again when you transmit. (That’s how I taught someone close to me how to make CTAF calls.)

Thirdly, remember that nobody - at least nobody normal and professional - is ever going to criticise you, in the air, for stumbling over or jumbling your call. I’m a critic of calls that are too long, but those calls are almost invariably a matter of training and choice for those who make them and I wouldn’t be so hypocritical as to clog up the airwaves with my amateur opinion about what they should be saying instead.

roundsounds
28th Apr 2021, 12:07
There are a few things you can do;

- understand the basic structure of most calls. They usually consist of who, where and what.
who you want to talk to and who you are, where you are, what you are planning to do.

- consult the AIP or VFRG, locate the phraseology and write out the typical calls you might need to make based on your flying. eg CTAF, Class D etc. print the calls up on say A5 and laminate or keep in a plastic sleeve and take with you when flying. You can review the phraseology if needed.

- download an APP, like ATC live and listen to appropriate frequencies. See how many errors you can pick and avoid picking up bad habits. Stick to the standard phraseology.

You’ll be on top of the wireless before you know it!

jmmoric
28th Apr 2021, 13:11
Agree on all the advice above.

It's really easy to deviate from standard phraseology, even after many years on the job, but it's also easy to correct it again, and with a little work get back on track.

If in doubt, pull out the phraseology from ICAO, they have most situations covered.... but do keep in mind local regulations, like adding "altitude" everytime you're given a clearance in feet etc.

ExSp33db1rd
28th Apr 2021, 23:40
Even stutterers can get by with some practice and good humour

One stuttering Captain offered to make the VHF call to a USA manned Weather Ship, mid-Atlantic, and after slowly stuttering his way through the position report ended with " Di- di- di- did you co- co- copy ? A languid American voice replied J'eez, did we copy, ? we've carved it into the F' ing deck."

Slowwtation
29th Apr 2021, 04:11
One stuttering Captain offered to make the VHF call to a USA manned Weather Ship, mid-Atlantic, and after slowly stuttering his way through the position report ended with " Di- di- di- did you co- co- copy ? A languid American voice replied J'eez, did we copy, ? we've carved it into the F' ing deck."

Best one I've heard was a stuttering Kingair driver giving an area broadcast on centre going into Pannawonica.... P-P-P-PAN-PAN-PAN...................Pannawonica traffic.

Capn Bloggs
29th Apr 2021, 04:32
Make sure you hear the Beepback (if installed) when you transmit on a CTAF.

If in doubt, pull out the phraseology from ICAO, they have most situations covered....
No, (Australian) AIP!

but do keep in mind local regulations, like adding "altitude" everytime you're given a clearance in feet etc.
Please explain? Where are you, Jmmoric?

Dick Smith
29th Apr 2021, 06:50
Lead. That sounds like good advice even for airline pilots

I normally monitor 121.5 with my second or third radio and I often hear airline pilots answering ATC on this frequency.

Shows that we are all human!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Apr 2021, 08:17
Re #2,
We had a VERY nice fella in WA who did stutter rather badly at times....But not when his wife was with him, oddly enuf....
So the 'deal;' was,
'XXX IF you are at Ballidu at xx, Maint. 9,000, Est. Mount Singleton at xx, TWO CLICKS.'
Back came the asked for 'two clicks'.

Area QNH 1013....................

p.s. We didn't have any 'cruel' operators.....we WERE Flight Service, with the emphasis on the 'Service'.....ask Dick.
On this occasion you quoted, I'm tipping that the FS guy knew the pilot - well enuf to have a beer or two with - and was just ....well...just being ... insert word of choice....
Cheers

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Apr 2021, 08:20
G'Day Dick,
If U gotta 2nd or 3rd radio...U don't need no 'redundo'....??
Cheers & Nice to Hear from ya.
:-).

jmmoric
29th Apr 2021, 10:39
Make sure you hear the Beepback (if installed) when you transmit on a CTAF.
No, (Australian) AIP!
Please explain? Where are you, Jmmoric?

Scandinavia. Like I wrote, do keep in mind "local" regulations..... ie. the national regulations if any.

Differences from ICAO SARPS are contained in GEN 1.7, and communication is usually found in GEN 3.4.... and I see that you have included the entirety of chapter 12 from DOC4444 with national differences there, so yes, the AIP is where to look. (really easy to navigate AIP's once you figure out the setup is standard and used throughout the world)

Most other countries don't add everything in GEN 3.4 though.

Lead Balloon
29th Apr 2021, 11:14
Do a search for all the posts by “jmmoric”, Capn. An extraordinarily experienced individual.

Extraordinary, bordering on unbelievable....

jmmoric
29th Apr 2021, 11:41
Do a search for all the posts by “jmmoric”, Capn. An extraordinarily experienced individual.

Extraordinary, bordering on unbelievable....

Not really, just common knowledge from ATC and piloting.... training and paperwork.....

cattletruck
29th Apr 2021, 12:49
Not sure if this helps, but every time I push the PTT button I also think about performing for the little kid wannabe pilot tuning in on their handheld scanner trying to learn this mysterious aviation phraseology - i.e. the once upon a time me. I found this really takes away any performance anxiety and makes it much clearer and easier for ATC and other traffic to absorb, I have even received a few on-frequency complements - if only they knew what a verbal klutz I really am off air.