PDA

View Full Version : Hiatus Hernia surgery

Greenfinch
20th Aug 2002, 15:51
I have been given the option by a consultant of undergoing surgical treatment of a hiatus hernia (a procedure known as fundoplication).

Does anyone know how long I could expect to be grounded for after such treatment (I fly A320's in the UK).

Any advice gratefully received.

Greenfinch

Captain Stable
20th Aug 2002, 23:31
Did you try asking Medical Branch at the Belgrano?

Circuit Basher
21st Aug 2002, 06:41
I had a repair to an epi-gastric hernia around 2 years ago and phoned my AME for advice (I'm Class 2, by the way). He was pretty relaxed about it and just said 'Whenever you feel ready'.

A friend who instructs on Air Cadet gliders (and is thus subject to RAF medical regime, which is tougher than Class 1) recently had an inguinal (sp??) hernia repair and was advised by phone to stay on the ground for 3 weeks and review the situation after that; if he was happy, then no further checks were required.

HTH.

[Edited to add footnote] Just did some Web-based research on your procedure and tried to email a page of what I found, but you've elected not to receive emails through PPRuNe. Essentially if it's done as an open surgery procedure, then you're likely to probably need longer convalescence, as it's about a 170mm incision from below the ribs to the umbilicus. If it's done laparoscopically, then recovery time should be much improved.
PS I'm not a doctor!

Peregrine
21st Aug 2002, 11:46
Thanks for the replies guys (yes it's me Greenfinch, but I've had to change name because for some obscure reason the system won't allow me to post using my old profile - don't think I've upset anybody !)

Capt. Stable - Knowing how our 'friends' at the Belgrano overreact to everything (speaking from prior experience) I avoid telling them anything until it's absolutely imperative.

Circuit Basher - many thanks for looking into it for me. Also heard yesterday that 3 weeks is a realistic figure if op. is done laparoscopically and apparently open surgery should only be a last resort if there's uncontrolled bleeding during laparoscopic surgery.

Thanks again,

Peregrine (formerly known as Greenfinch)

QDMQDMQDM
4th Sep 2002, 19:12
Operations for hiatus hernia and ulcer are incredibly rare these days, so good are the available drugs. Presumably, you have failed a trial of proton pump inhibitors, drugs with names such as omeprazole, lansoprazole etc.? If not, you should try a course.

QDM