PDA

View Full Version : Revision of Theory post ATPL

Percy van Staden
23rd Apr 2021, 20:47
A question for airline pilots.

How often, if at all, do you comprehensively revise the theory body of knowledge post-ATPL?

Do you do so out of your own interest or simply to study for the next rating/endorsement/renewal/assessment?

B2N2
23rd Apr 2021, 22:21
Never as 80% of it is utterly useless.
You study the company provided manuals and materials.

rudestuff
24th Apr 2021, 00:03
Post ATPL? Well by that point you'll have an airline job and at least 500 hours multi-crew, and you'll have a good idea of what's relevant and what's not. You'll basically study what you need to know to pass your LPC/OPC every 6 months, most of which is type specific. The next time you'll see the ATPL books is after your first redundancy and you're looking for a job.

redsnail
24th Apr 2021, 08:31
I never look at my ATPL notes. I think I threw them away 10 years after I sat them as they were taking up space. I do occasionally refer to some of my ATPL textbooks, as I am doing a Masters in Aviation Human Factors.

Banana Joe
24th Apr 2021, 10:48
I do from time to time. European Professional Pilot Studies is perfect for it. All the relevant stuff needed to pass ATPL exams and review your general knowledge from time to time. It served me well to prepare for job interviews.

I do it because I find the content interesting an because in the near future I might become a TKI, but when I have my LPC/OPC I only study on my company manuals. ATPL general knowledge is not relevant for this scope.