PDA

View Full Version : Best flying rig

matelot
11th Mar 2001, 10:56
Birthday coming up, so I do I go for a good leather flying-type jacket (more versatile out of the cockpit), or pilots' overalls (functionality in the cockpit)?

Why/how did you make your choice?

Cheers. :)

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

DB6
11th Mar 2001, 15:58
What are you flying? Jacket keeps top half warm while flying but is very bulky, bugger all use for bottom half or for wearing outside aircraft in summer. Overalls keep both halves warm if thick enough, bugger all use outside aircraft all year round. I've got both but rarely use jacket, even in winter.
Pip-pip tally ho!

matelot
11th Mar 2001, 18:47
It'll only be a 2-seater for pleasure when I get my PPL. Granted there'll have to be some compromise: flying suit too warm in summer, jacket a bit cool outside in winter.

Probably end up with jeans and a warm jumper! But where do I stick my pencils? :)

------------------
Me, sweat? I'm that cool, it's condensation.

DB6
11th Mar 2001, 23:45
If it's got a heater and/or you're not doing aerobatics don't bother with overalls. The RAF blue/grey leather jackets are very good - velcro/zip-up pockets and a pen pocket on the arm (which I've never used), high quality leather but about £320 I think. Mind you that ensures there aren't too many about. Warm enough for a walkround on a chilly day but to be honest I just use a fleece and chuck it in the back when I get in. Jeans and a jumper sounds about right.