PDA

View Full Version : Bypass ratio converted to areas?

tristan48
20th Apr 2021, 09:26
Hey all,

I am fairly new to aviation in that I am not an engineer with regard to maintaining the airplanes, but I am doing research to the impact of the airplanes to cloud formation. Quit interesting I have to say, because it requires me to get to know the basic principles behind the aircraft engines. In my case specifically the GEnx 2B67 (primarily used for the B747-8 if I understood everything correctly).

I found all the information available o a pdf which is included as a attachment.

This sheet provides me with the fan size (diameter =2.65 m or 104.7 in and area of 5.56 m2) for the inlet of the motor. However, I am interested into the outlet area of the engine. (I need it to determine the amount of aerosols within the exhaust air of the engine xD).

I was wondering (maybe you might be able to confirm my thoughts). Is it correct to say, okay the bypass ratio is around 8, so 1/8 of the inlet area, is also the effective outlet area that contains air that went through the combustion engine? In this case, my outlet area would be 0.7 m2, which seems small, but looking at pictures, it might actually be reasonable. However as said earlier, I am relatively new to aircrafts, and I have (except for museums) not really seen actual aircraft engines.

Hope to hear from one of you, great thanks in advance!

Tristan