PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Controller OASC Question

E3D-Wannabe
20th Aug 2002, 12:59
Do candidates for Fighter Controller have to complete the AirCrew Aptitude tests?

Thanks in Advance :)

Chris Kebab
20th Aug 2002, 13:51
Don't see why, they are not proper aircrew!

Ducks very low....................................

Douggy
20th Aug 2002, 14:34
Yes, but Fighter Controller aptitudes are higher than that for Nav, and Pilot.

ORAC
20th Aug 2002, 14:45
A few years ago the RAF had research done to build a "mathematical model of a fighter controller", in order to improve the aptitude tests.

The team worked away for a couple of years. Shone lasers and bright lights in people's eyes as they controlled. Tested apllicants on selection, through the course, on graduation and after. Did comprehensive interviews and tests. They also did comparative testing of aircrew and other branches such as ATC to establish a baseline.

Eventually, when they were complete, they were asked what they had discovered. Whilst they had many findings, they reported, there was one thing which was dramatically obvious.

Fighter Controllers were, they said, without doubt the most aggresive and pugnacious group in the RAF............... :D

FrostyBollocks
20th Aug 2002, 16:23
"Yes, but Fighter Controller aptitudes are higher than that for Nav, and Pilot" :rolleyes:

I can only assume that your fishing for a bite Doug? Nonsense. The tests are different not harder or easier - just different. By virtue, some peeps will find one test easier than another, that is after all the whole point of aptitude.

In response to the original question Wannabe, yes, expect to do all the tests not just those for your chosen branch. This is the policy as your scores may indicate a more competitive aptitude in another area which you hadnt considered so they can shoe-horn you in at a later date ;)

Good Luck

FB

difar69
20th Aug 2002, 16:24
Yeah great, still aren't proper aircrew are they? Is that why they're so aggressive? Grrrrrrrrrrr

Tbird
20th Aug 2002, 19:14
When i did my Aptitude Test it was structured into three parts..Pilot, Observer and ATC. This was the RN Aptitude Test, but i don't think it to be all that different from the tests that the peeps in light blue have to go through.

In answer, yes you do have to go through the Aptitude Tests to be a Fighter Controller. The tests aren't harder or easier than the ones for Pilot or Observer, but they are more closely related to the Observer tests. Hope that helps

Tbird

rivetjoint
20th Aug 2002, 20:26
I thought the OASC board was Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre where all officers, regardless of trade, and all airmen aircrew were interviewed? Therefore should I apply as an Engineering Officer I would still expect to go to the OASC board?

Mystic Greg
20th Aug 2002, 20:28
To the best of my knowledge, the answer to the original question is no - assuming you are only applying for FC. Candidates for FC will be assessed on the FC aptitude tests. To get selected for the E-3D you would first have to pass FC professional training (either as a Weapons Controller or Surveillance) and complete at least one ground tour. You could then get selected for flying duties (there is an element of luck here as there are always more candidates than places). At this stage you would need to pass an aircrew medical, an aircrew survival course and the Sentry Conversion Course.

If you apply for other branches as well as FC, expect to take their aptitude tests as well. (And it could be a good idea to demonstrate a broad interest to OASC by applying for more than one job).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you end up on the E-3D, I am sure you would not regret it. (And I say that having landed about 2 hours ago at a remote desert base after a 13-hour mission over hostile territory in the Middle East controlling Allied air operations).

alandhall
20th Aug 2002, 21:18
Having just been through the torture-mill that is officer selection, I can confirm that whatever branch your are heading for, you do the FULL set of tests.

I guess they do that so everyone is treated the same, and you may discover an aptitude for a trade you hadn't considered before. You could change your mind and embark on an exciting career that you thought out of reach. Or something like that ;)

Al

Douggy
22nd Aug 2002, 07:16
E3D, you will take aptitude tests for Fighter cont, Pilot, Nav etc etc, if you enter on the back of A -Level Mathematics & Physics you shouldn't have a problem passing any of the tests.

Fighter controller tests contain the little teasers that are more advanced than the tests for other branches. Having said that why not go for Pilot ? Its the best job in the airforce, you'll love it I promise.