PDA

View Full Version : OOA during last year of service

safetwin
13th Apr 2021, 11:25
Hi all,

Any admin gurus know the ins and outs of whether Manning (or whatever they're called this week) can send us OOA during the last year of service? I'm taking an option (20/40 point) and it was my understanding that we could not be sent OOA in the last 12 months but the career manager has other ideas....

Any advice gratefully received please!

ST

sharpend
13th Apr 2021, 11:51
After 39 years of service and about to retire (6 weeks), I was sent to the Falklands :)

Bob Viking
13th Apr 2021, 12:24
Is it possible that there is a difference between leaving at an option point and leaving via PVR?

Giving an OOA to someone when they PVR could be viewed as a punishment and would rightly risk sending someone into an operational theatre who wouldn’t be fully committed.

Getting an OOA during your last year of natural service could just be seen as the natural order of things.

I do not know this to be fact but I’m sure I recall hearing it somewhere.

BV

Foghorn Leghorn
13th Apr 2021, 13:25
Ask Manning for the JSP that states they’re able to do this; it’ll be fairly cut and dry. I expect they can.

OldnDaft
13th Apr 2021, 14:07
AP3392 Vol2 Lflt 1511 is the badger you need. In particular paragraph 7b which states:

"Have more than 12 months to serve at the start of the proposed detachment, or more than 15 months to serve if the detachment is expected to be for a 6-month roulement"

safetwin
13th Apr 2021, 17:23
AP3392 Vol2 Lflt 1511 is the badger you need. In particular paragraph 7b which states:

"Have more than 12 months to serve at the start of the proposed detachment, or more than 15 months to serve if the detachment is expected to be for a 6-month roulement"

Ninja, thanks so much indeed!

Just This Once...
13th Apr 2021, 18:53
Presuming you are a sqn ldr or below you need to make sure that you are engaging with Manning at the correct level.

For routine exits with no other factors your 'releasing authority' is delegated down to the relevant DACOS Manning. However, this downwards delegation is an exception and for a contested exit / OOA your case would have to be handled by ACOS Manning as it is they that formally hold your release authority.

In the highly unlikely event that this had both the blessing and the continued belligerence of ACOS Manning (rather than a mere DO being arrogant / ignorant / stupid) then your appeal would be handled at the first stage by COS Per. This would require a comprehensive casework pack-up and legal advice before moving forward. [AP3393 Vol 1 Ch 7]

alfred_the_great
13th Apr 2021, 19:54
Of course, the other option is to do it and negotiate with your career manager something mutually beneficial. For example you could extend so that all of your POTL, ALA, GRT etc happens whilst you are “effectively” a civilian...

Countdown begins
13th Apr 2021, 21:00
Of course, the other option is to do it and negotiate with your career manager something mutually beneficial. For example you could extend so that all of your POTL, ALA, GRT etc happens whilst you are “effectively” a civilian...
Alfy, the beautiful Utopia that you mindlessly believe in does not exist! The desks have been told to play hard rules now. Do you have any relevant experience with RAF CM?

Foghorn Leghorn
13th Apr 2021, 22:15
Presuming you are a sqn ldr or below you need to make sure that you are engaging with Manning at the correct level.

For routine exits with no other factors your 'releasing authority' is delegated down to the relevant DACOS Manning. However, this downwards delegation is an exception and for a contested exit / OOA your case would have to be handled by ACOS Manning as it is they that formally hold your release authority.

In the highly unlikely event that this had both the blessing and the continued belligerence of ACOS Manning (rather than a mere DO being arrogant / ignorant / stupid) then your appeal would be handled at the first stage by COS Per. This would require a comprehensive casework pack-up and legal advice before moving forward. [AP3393 Vol 1 Ch 7]

That shouldn’t really be the case that it has to be backed up with legal advice or a comprehensive casework pack-up. That would only be true if contesting the AP. If the AP is quite clear, which I suspect it will be if there’s no aggregating factors, then it’s an open and shut case which will require the simplest of paperwork to either prove or disprove the issue.

downsizer
14th Apr 2021, 06:34
Also a difference it seems if you part of an FU or IA. Though I suspect the OP is an IA if dealing w/manning.

14th Apr 2021, 06:59
I wouldn't rely too much on an AP being 'clear-cut' - several years ago I had to take an issue all the way to 1 star because different levels of management interpreted the paragraphs in the AP in different ways.

RAF manning still treating people like crap it seems - if you are leaving for any reason you now don't need to be managed and can be shafted to free up a better slot for someone they are still trying to retain - glad to be out of it

alfred_the_great
14th Apr 2021, 16:01
Alfy, the beautiful Utopia that you mindlessly believe in does not exist! The desks have been told to play hard rules now. Do you have any relevant experience with RAF CM?

It’s a fairly standard offer in my part of the RN: it’s an added bonus if you can get one with CCA. It typically means your first 4-5 months of being a “civvy” is being paid, plus all the optour savings you accrue.