PDA

View Full Version : Seems overkill.

NutLoose
10th Apr 2021, 15:26
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/private-firm-take-on-some-vip-transport-duties-from-raf/

Boris using the new Titan A321Neo between Stansted and Teeside for a visit.

Martin the Martian
10th Apr 2021, 16:08
Well, unless he uses a 146, as he did when he visited Cornwall this week, which he won't be able to do for much longer.

ex-fast-jets
10th Apr 2021, 18:49
He is our Prime Minister, for goodness sake....

You don't have to agree with his politics or persona..........

But what do you expect him to do? Use a bicycle to get there? Drive an electric car? Walk?

He is a busy man, no matter what your politics - give him some space.

What would you do/require/expect if you were doing his job?

ShyTorque
10th Apr 2021, 20:18
E-f-j,

Well said.

waterbottle
10th Apr 2021, 21:08
That would be around a 40 minute flight. Or a four hour drive. Or around 1:10 in a helicopter.

So if your argument is that there should be a large helicopter available, say an S92, to carry the PM, aides and security, then I would wholeheartedly agree.

I’m sure I’ve seen some rough time limits quoted for transporting the US President. Think it was no more than 30 minutes in a car then he goes via helicopter.

N707ZS
11th Apr 2021, 07:15
They could of at least got a decent photo of it landing at Teesside.
http://www.dtvmovements.co.uk/images/2021MME/GXATW_RB.jpg

Asturias56
11th Apr 2021, 07:23
and Teeside Airport really needs the landing fees!

Of course a train would have been faster door-to door

N707ZS
11th Apr 2021, 07:28
Train to Hartlepool no. Boris seems to like flying to Teesside he's been quite a few times recently.

NutLoose
11th Apr 2021, 11:03
That would be around a 40 minute flight. Or a four hour drive. Or around 1:10 in a helicopter.

So if your argument is that there should be a large helicopter available, say an S92, to carry the PM, aides and security, then I would wholeheartedly agree.

I’m sure I’ve seen some rough time limits quoted for transporting the US President. Think it was no more than 30 minutes in a car then he goes via helicopter.

That was the point I was trying to get over, a largish helicopter or something bizzjet size lost since they got shot of the BAe 125’s would be more useful on U.K. travel.

Maybe add a Phenom to the fleet as a VIP, it would make sense as already in use.

11th Apr 2021, 11:32
Train to Hartlepool no. Boris seems to like flying to Teesside he's been quite a few times recently. Has he got an 'auntie' there perhaps?:E

dctyke
11th Apr 2021, 11:58
Ah, Middleton St George. I was there last week collecting a ride on mower from the old mt servicing section. Still looks like an RAF base with none of the usual ex base abuse!

Doctor Cruces
11th Apr 2021, 12:14
Wonder how much per hour Titan are charging for the ACMI.

morton
12th Apr 2021, 08:17
A pity British Midland isn’t still around. We used to operate LHR-MME. The route might have been introduced because Tony Blair had his constituency at Sedgefield about 15 miles up the road but I stand to be corrected. Wonder if the ghost still causes guests discomfort in the old Officers Mess?

Fareastdriver
12th Apr 2021, 08:29
The George Hotel! In the late seventies I was operating from Teeside and one airline used to night stop there. We would explain to the hosties how this Meteor pilot had totalled himself against the officer's mess and show them the repaired brickwork.

For some reason they didn't like the idea of sleeping in that wing which was quite convenient because our rooms were in the other one.

Ken Scott
12th Apr 2021, 09:09
The story as I have always understood it was that the ghostly Meteor pilot was attempting an asymmetric roller but went spearing off the side of the runway, crashed through the OM car park (writing off his car) and hit the mess (his room). He survived the impact but when he opened the canopy was killed by falling debris.

Asturias56
12th Apr 2021, 09:47
A pity British Midland isn’t still around. We used to operate LHR-MME. The route might have been introduced because Tony Blair had his constituency at Sedgefield about 15 miles up the road but I stand to be corrected. Wonder if the ghost still causes guests discomfort in the old Officers Mess?

long predated Blair - I used it several times in the '70's to visit people in C Durham/N Yorks - the real benefit was you could get in and out of the airport far faster than using NCL

thunderbird7
12th Apr 2021, 10:09
How else does he get to see his mate discreetly at Barnard Castle?

N707ZS
12th Apr 2021, 10:28
Morton BMA ran Teesside Heathrow for many years before Tony Blair. He used to fly in, in his BA 777.