PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines Memo

bafanguy
9th Apr 2021, 21:57
Found this on an av forum dealing with AA. It really strikes me as odd. What are they trying to head off with this "course" ? It has an ominous undertone and I don't know what to make of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilot Culture Advantage course; creating new levels of respect and appreciation

A message from Captain Chip Long [not sure who he is but I guess he's important ?]

When we meet someone for the first time, without knowing it we immediately decide whether they’re trustworthy, or, if this person must instead earn our trust. It’s an unconscious decision, a bias, that we call “first impressions,” and I imagine that in almost every case, we fail to consider that this person we’re meeting for the first time – is making the same call about us.

The bestseller “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman highlights cognitive biases like the above that cripple our decision-making, damper our thinking and limit our effectiveness in how we connect, relate and work with each other. We drew from his work and others in our initial Disrupting Everyday Bias sessions. Beginning April 1, we’ll build on that learning in CQT as we introduce subtle acts of exclusion/inclusion and upstander training, providing further tools in our commitment to a safe and respectful flight deck.

Just as the Human Factors sessions have become integral to our training and how we conduct business, our focus on respect and appreciation for each other is an essential piece of Flight culture. Crew members who seek to understand and work with each other clear the air of distractions and contribute to keeping us in the green.

We paused our hiring efforts this past year, [b]but soon we’ll again be welcoming a new generation of pilots. In contrast to the days when many of us were hired, most of us with extremely similar history, these new pilots will come from a broad spectrum of backgrounds, bringing with them new perspectives and ideas while looking to us for our experience and guidance.

I think you’ll enjoy this next class. Your facilitators are excited, debriefs are appreciated and thanks for being open to learning.

V/R
Chip

Things to know about the class

Pilot Culture Advantage follows our Disrupting Everyday Bias course, and was prepared by American pilots for their fellow pilots using authentic scenarios based on actual events
The class will appear as DEB on the Training Management System (TMS)
Scheduling window for class is 90 minutes; actual sessions last about 60 minutes
The class is required for pilots attending CQT or RQES (requal short),
as well as Check Airmen and instructors

zondaracer
21st Apr 2021, 01:30
American Airlines just announced that they will have 300 new hires in the fall of 2021 and 600 new hires in 2022.