PDA

View Full Version : 787...New World Record!!???

JanetFlight
29th Mar 2021, 00:47
Please if Admin thinks that this thread doesn't belong here feel free to move to spotters balcony or something else, but i really got amazed...Its seems that VIP Comlux 787 P4-787 has just broken another record...it has flown today a direct flight btw Seoul and Buenos Aires and according FR24 data it was 20 Hours plus 19 minutes flt time...Wow!!!
Even broke the recent record of A350 Luftwaffe flts btw Germany to Camberra and from Tahiti to Koln (both direct too).

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/p4-787

SpringHeeledJack
29th Mar 2021, 09:22
That's pretty impressive and I'm sure with the VIP layout inside it wasn't a hardship for the passengers. No doubt a relief crew for that sector as well. I suppose that once the weight of passengers and first/business class seats and hold cargo are taken away from the equation, most new-generation aircraft's range would be vastly improved. Does this example have extra fuel tanks to cover the long sectors that it's been designed for ?

DaveReidUK
29th Mar 2021, 10:48
I'm not aware of an extra tankage mod or STC for the 787, particularly as the aircraft concerned was flying for Aeromexico until January of this year.

A light aircraft with full tanks can just about manage 10,000 nm (still air), according to Boeing figures, so a bit of wind assistance probably contributed.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Mar 2021, 18:43
There have been a handful of dedicated 787's built for private usage though haven't there ? Would these have had extra tankage, especially as they would be designed for ULH operations ? I seem to remember one was delivered to Deerjet in China (?)

DaveReidUK
29th Mar 2021, 21:10
I can't really add anything to my previous post.

There are 21 STCs for the 787, including two that relate to fitting a VIP interior. None of them feature increased tankage.

SpringHeeledJack
30th Mar 2021, 10:10
Fair enough! It just seems that they missed a trick by not having that extra capacity for range, or ability to operate into airfields that might not have the requisite fuelling facilities. Perhaps a VIP 787 was just like someone having a Chelsea Tractor to drive around a big city or a 200mph car with the speed limit of 70mph.

Interestingly there are only a few flying and they've changed hands a few times in the last handful of years, so perhaps the operating costs were too high even for very high net worth individuals, or attracted too much attention.

dixi188
30th Mar 2021, 12:57
What route would require greater range that Seoul to BA?
Creat Circle distance 10520NM.

DaveReidUK
30th Mar 2021, 13:52
What route would require greater range that Seoul to BA?
Great Circle distance 10520NM.

This one comes up regularly.

It's generally accepted that the farthest apart airport pair is Tangier, Morocco to Whangarei, New Zealand at approximately 10,790 nm.

dixi188
30th Mar 2021, 15:51
What I mean is, why would you want extra tanks in the 787 if it can do 10,000NM anyway?

tdracer
30th Mar 2021, 18:16
What I mean is, why would you want extra tanks in the 787 if it can do 10,000NM anyway?
Bingo!
Something like 99% of the worldwide city pairs require less than 10,000nm of range. Even for a billionaire, is it really worthwhile to spend a bunch of money to cover that last 1% - which you'll probably never fly anyway? And if you do, even a billionaire is limited in how much they'll pay just to avoid a 30 minute fuel stop somewhere.

The VIP 737BBJ came standard with extra range - but the basic 737 doesn't have particularly long legs, so the extra range was rather desirable. Not so much with the 10,000 mile capable 787.

I'm sure if someone like Elon Musk said he absolutely had to have another 1,000 miles range before he'd buy a 787 as his personal toy, someone would spend the millions to develop it. But I wouldn't hold my breath. People don't become that rich spending money foolishly.