PDA

View Full Version : Career SIM instructor salaries UK.

MEG@DK
26th Mar 2021, 17:53
Good evening,

Every time I come to do an LPC or OPC, whether it’s with CAE or FSI, there’s always a piece of paper in my welcome pack advertising for SIM instructors. I appreciate it’s the type of job that is often aimed at retired pilots or pilots who for some reason no longer have a medical. I’m sure that’s not every SIM instructor though, I’m sure there are plenty of people who for some reason just can’t make flying work for their life setup.

Basically I am currently flying a Challenger 605 with decent T & C’s, but I’m sick to death of being away all the time. So I am having a look at all the alternatives and I’d love to hear from any current or previous Farnborough or Burgess Hill SIM instructors regarding salaries, T & C’s and general work patterns.

All the best

Mike

rudestuff
27th Mar 2021, 09:11
With all the out of work pilots at the moment I'd be amazed if there are any SIM instructor jobs going, the market just be flooded with SFI/TRI/SFE/TREs...

MEG@DK
29th Mar 2021, 07:51
Dear Forum,

To avoid any confusion, I wasn’t asking what the likelihood is of landing a SIM instructor job next week or opinions on the job market this year or next.

I’d love to hear from someone who is either currently in the job or has been in the past. Salaries, choice of work patterns, TnC’s and so on. PM’s are great if you’d rather not share on here.

All the best

Mike

111boy
13th Apr 2021, 10:51
Hi Mike

I worked at CAE as an SFI until I was made redundant last year, would be happy to tell you all about it.Starting salaries used to be £60 K, increasing to £66 K and the work was interesting, I really enjoyed myself. Work patterns depended on fleets and planners but a lot of early starts ( 0600 briefs, which needed preparation before ) or 2400 finishes with paperwork afterwards.
They used the furlough and downturn in the airline market to reduce terms and conditions and make people redundant and then hired a lot of people on lower salaries. The majority of the middle management aren't pilots or instructors and really can't ( and don't ) support.
The paperwork and lessons are buried on an antiquated system and it's not unusual not to have a clue what it is that you're supposed to teach/examine.
There used to be a bonus scheme, which they have scrapped, I think there is still a share scheme.
My colleagues and the students were the best bits, with some ad hoc flying ( which is really discouraged and made difficult for you to do )
The happiest people it seemed to me were those that didn't have to commute
PM if you need more, best of luck