PDA

View Full Version : IMC Privileges embedded in a UK CPL Y/N?

Level Attitude
26th Mar 2021, 17:36
Assuming a Class One Medical is held:

1) For someone who held a UK issued EASA CPL, which is now, therefore, a UK CPL: Do they now have IMC privileges embedded in the Licence (which weren't previously), or do
they need to take an IMC Rating test/check every 25 months?

2) For someone who holds a UK issued national CPL, is this now valid for all UK registered aircraft with embedded IMC privileges? Or do they need to
take an IMC Rating test/check every 25 months?

Whopity
26th Mar 2021, 18:18
The UK National CPL always had embedded IMC privileges, they are listed in the ANO Schedule 8
The problem is that the validity of the UK CPL or ATPL is confined to Non Part 21 Aircraft (formerley Annex I) you cannot exercise the privileges on a Part 21 Aircraft formerly an EASA aircrafft

If you held a National licence issued in accordance with JAR-FCL (post 1999) then it did not include the embedded IMC priviledges and a seperate IMC rating was required together with the 25 month revalidation process.

A UK issued EASA CPL is now a UK Part FCL Licence and to use imc priviledges you need either a valid IR or a IR(Restricted)/IMC rating with the 25 month revalidation.
You can still exercise the privileges of both an IR and a IMC with a Class II medical; you only need a Class I to exercise commercial privileges.

This topic has occurred on a number of occasions recently and it raises the question, how does a pilot know with licence they actually hold. Apart from the first page there is no difference between remaining pages. If you held a National licence pre JAA you will probably remember, but that is now over 20 years ago. The differences between licences vanished when the CAA started to print them all from the same software.
If you hold an old UK National Licence with an IR it will say Instrument in Section XII but if you did not hold an IR it may not say anything though you have inbuilt IMC privileges. It should say Instrument with a Limitation stating privileges limited to those of an embedded IMC rating. (But does it?)
If you hold an old JAA licence it will say Instrument and have a limitation if you have IMC privileges, these are not built in and revalidation applied.
If you exchanged a JAA for an EASA licence the IMC rating will appear as an IR(R) and may be accompanied by an IR if held. Again the IR(R) will include the limitation relating to IMC privileges held and the 25 month revalidation applies.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Mar 2021, 12:39
You can actually tell from the licence number, at least for licences issued in the last decade or so.

A UK FCL licence valid for use on part 21 aeroplane has the licence number starting UK.FCL.PP, UK.FCL.CP or UK.FCL.AT

A UK national licence issued since the end of JAA at least, has the licence number starting GBR.PP, GBR.CP or GBR.AT.

There is presently in ORS4 1471 ( link (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1471.pdf) ) a temporary exemption allowing national licence holders to fly G-reg part 21 aeroplanes for a limited number of hours, and there's every hope that in some form that will be extended. However it prevents any instrument privileges on that licence being exercised on part 21 aeroplanes. Which has no logical basis whatsoever, but seems to keep the DfT happy on some procedural grounds or other.

G

Whopity
1st Apr 2021, 14:42
Which has no logical basis whatsoever, but seems to keep the DfT happy on some procedural grounds or other. The logic is that the fudge that allows this is based upon LAPL priviledges which do not include instrument flying.
I wouldn't put too much faith in the numbers, my pre JAA commercial licence with built in IMC priveledges has exactly the same number as my EASA licence without them