PDA

View Full Version : Genetic Haemochromatosis

BoogieBoy123
23rd Mar 2021, 13:41
Any commercial pilots here who have been diagnosed with genetic haemochromatosis?

Just wondering if it was possible to regain your medical certificate following treatment, and how long the whole process took?

(I'm an air traffic controller by the way, but imagine the process will probably be similar).

back to Boeing
24th Mar 2021, 07:46
I'm mainly typing to keep informed of any answers. I don't have any help to give per se. My father has the illness and thus i'm a carrier. We only found out after my grandfather died of it in 1989. It has zero implications for me in aviation medical world. But I do have my haemoglobin at the high end of normal. You probably know this anyway but it is the most common genetic disease in caucasian men. Personally I give blood every 3 months (in consultation with my AME) to keep it at bay (it's still uncertain what the implications are for carriers)

Mushroom_2
20th Apr 2021, 17:42
I have it but it was discovered after I retired, by accident through a blood test for something else. I had (and still have) no symptoms associated with it.

After a series of venesections to bring the ferritin levels down (took 3 months), I would immagine giving blood every 3 months should be fine. I think it's 24 hours after that you can fly and 12 hours for ATC.
I don't do that but have 3 monthly ferritin level blood tests and usually twice a year have a venesection which keeps the levels below 50.
No big deal really.

Ollie Onion
22nd Apr 2021, 12:04
My Father passed away from Heart Failure caused by un-diagnosed Haemochromotosis. You are lucky to have found it, I am a genetic carrier, no Aeromedical complications, I have a good friend who has the full blown condition and apart from yearly blood testing to ensure he is having enough blood taken there has been NO medical complications at all.