PDA

View Full Version : bad day

cjam
20th Aug 2002, 06:30
I have about 300hrs and am working at my first job flying a C206,
I have never had any incidents and have been told I fly quite well but last Sunday I flew five flights and had five absolutely cr@p landings, (not dangerous....just cr@p). Granted there was a bit of wind shear and a crosswind etc but that has never bothered me before. I've chalked it up to my first "bad flying day". I just want to know if this has happened to any others out there, maybe it happens to everyone now and again?
What are your thoughts?

Oleo
20th Aug 2002, 07:11
It happens!

And if you stress and obsess about it, it is more likely to happen again!!

I did three crap landings in a day a couple of months ago, and previous to that had been trying to incorporate every little tip and finesse as advised by various captains. After that day I decided I would just land the thing in the simple manner told to me by a captain before I ever flew the type for the first time and I basically switch off at 10' and just eyeball it like I used to do in a Piper Tomahawk etc. Landing consistency has improved (it's just all the rest I am still working on!).

The only harm is pride. Tomorrow is another day.

(The 206 is tricky to land, quite floaty and sensitive in the flare)

Smokie
20th Aug 2002, 09:04
Yep I'll go along with the above post , just put it down to a bad day , we all have them every now and then, even when you finally get to fly jets, It'll still happen occasionally. :cool:

redsnail
20th Aug 2002, 09:06
Yeah, I found approx every 10 days would be a "dodgy" landing day. Not unsafe just not elegant. I just relaxed about it and concentrated more on the basics and then a dodgy landing would be a rarity.
Weather/wind etc will always conspire to shatter your ego. It happens and so long as you are on speed and in control then it is ok.
You can exploit this in 2 crew ops by having landing competitions. Person who does the worse one buys in the bar (overnight). It's quite fun.
The C206 can be fun, try the C207 for a real ego shatterer. Worse yet is the Dash 8!!

cjam
21st Aug 2002, 06:30
Thanks for the info,
I've been out again since and no dramas so I guess you're right, just one of those days.
Thanks again and I might just stay clear of the dash 8 until I've got at least 350hrs!