PDA

View Full Version : IMC/IRR(A) Proficiency check.

VB
18th Mar 2021, 06:56
Is the candidate permitted to use the autopilot during the above skill test or proficiency check ? If so what publication states this ? Thanks

Whopity
18th Mar 2021, 12:53
The requirements and procedures for the Skill Test and Proficiency Check are contained in CAA Standards Doc 25. There is no provision in that document that includes the use of an autopilot. The Flight Examiners Handbook does not cover the IMC/IRR tests.

VB
18th Mar 2021, 14:15
Thanks Whopity, that is what I found too, but thought it worth a check in case I was missing something !

Whopity
18th Mar 2021, 14:23
Nothing has been updated since 2008.

rudestuff
18th Mar 2021, 22:46
You'll probably find that there is a requirement to demonstrate a manually flown approach and go around. That's how it works on an airline LPC for a type/IR, the automatics can go back in once you're clean. Ask an examiner. You might find that if you've got it you can use it, apart from the times when they need to see manual flying.

excrab
19th Mar 2021, 06:07
As Whopity said, nothing has been updated and there is no reference to use of autopilot in standards doc 25. Conversely standards doc 1 specifies that for an initial IRT the autopilot can only be used in the cruise section, and not coupled for any form of tracking. Whilst “logic” and “CAA” may not go well together in the same sentence it does seem logical to assume that the fact that it isn’t mentioned suggests that it isn’t intended to be available. That makes sense as the majority of candidates for the IRR still tend to be PPL holders who are liable to fly aircraft with could have limited equipment, I originally did my IMC rating test forty years ago in an aircraft that just had a fixed card RBI for the ADF and a CDI for the VOR, and the approaches trained for were SRA and timed NDB approach. There is no reason that an aircraft so equipped couldn’t still be used today, and whilst nowadays most clubs have access to ILS/ DME/ GPS very few club or privately owned aircraft have an auto-pilot, so it makes sense to expect the candidate to be able to fly the test without one.

The airline LPC mentioned by Rudestuff is different, as unless it’s for an MPL the candidate is required to have passed a ME IR and demonstrated their basic IF skills prior to the first type rating course.