PDA

View Full Version : 2-4-2 seating

Helena Handbasket
17th Mar 2021, 18:26
I should know the answer to this, but I don't:
Pretty soon we'll be able to fly to Europe again. If I want to fly from YVR to any european destination, what is the best way to find a carrier that flies aircraft with a 2-4-2 configuration economy.? I refuse to fly the 777.

Hartington
17th Mar 2021, 18:50
I've seen 2-4-2 on a 767 and, believe me, you don't want to fly from Vancouver to Europe in those seats! It's not the number of seats across that's critical but the width and pitch.

There are a number of sites that show you the way airlines cram in the seats. I tend to use Seat Guru but there are others.

If you can afford it consider stepping up a class. Most transatlantic carriers now offer a premium economy with wider seats and more legroom.

DaveReidUK
17th Mar 2021, 19:29
I should know the answer to this, but I don't:
Pretty soon we'll be able to fly to Europe again. If I want to fly from YVR to any european destination, what is the best way to find a carrier that flies aircraft with a 2-4-2 configuration economy.? I refuse to fly the 777.

8-abreast economy is typically only found on the A330/A340. You could check if Air Canada use their A330s on European routes from YVR, but I suspect you may end up having to go via Montreal.

knackered IV
17th Mar 2021, 19:31
The A330 operated by non-LCC carriers such as Qantas or Cathay Pacific are all 2-4-2. You want to steer clear of the LCC versions though which are 3-3-3 and pretty tight.

canuck slf
17th Mar 2021, 19:45
Right now direct YVR to Europe the choice is only Luthansa and KLM, both of whom are running A330 with 2-4-2 in Y.
I am with you in declining 777 and also dislike the 787 seating.

Una Due Tfc
17th Mar 2021, 20:51
Prior to COVID, Air Canada were running the A330 on YVR-DUB in 2-4-2 or you could get the same on SEA-DUB with Aer Lingus A330s when things open up again.

tdracer
17th Mar 2021, 21:23
I've seen 2-4-2 on a 767 and, believe me, you don't want to fly from Vancouver to Europe in those seats! It's not the number of seats across that's critical but the width and pitch.

There are a number of sites that show you the way airlines cram in the seats. I tend to use Seat Guru but there are others.

I'm biased, but I think the 767 at seven across has one of the best coach experiences (2-4-2 on the 767 is rare).
Ditto on Seat Guru - I always check it when booking a flight. Even if you don't have a choice of aircraft, it tells you what seats to avoid.

Helena Handbasket
17th Mar 2021, 21:42

If you can afford it consider stepping up a class. Most transatlantic carriers now offer a premium economy with wider seats and more legroom.

Thanks but AC want $850 for an economy seat and $2600 for premium. I'm sure that makes sense to AC, but it is too rich for me.

Una Due Tfc
17th Mar 2021, 22:09
I'm biased, but I think the 767 at seven across has one of the best coach experiences (2-4-2 on the 767 is rare).
Ditto on Seat Guru - I always check it when booking a flight. Even if you don't have a choice of aircraft, it tells you what seats to avoid.

Its been about 10 years since I was last on a 767, they've been disappearing for quite some time in Europe. The US 3 mostly fly 330s and 787s to my neck of the woods the last number of years. Last time I was one it had no PTVs etc, back when the US3 were known for poor on board product before getting it together in recent years.

Tarq57
17th Mar 2021, 22:25
Is it the common seat configuration on the 777 you don't like, or something else?
Some of my more pleasant flights have been on these.

Helena Handbasket
18th Mar 2021, 00:06
The thought of 10 hours in a middle seat leaves me cold.
I have flown in a 767 to europe, but it was AC Rouge, which is the equivalent of traveling by rail in a coal wagon.
My ideal would be A330 or even better A220 but they are scarcer than hen's teeth.
I did a connecting leg from Toronto to YVR on an AC 777. It was continuing on to OZ. I felt sorry for the poor souls jammed in there for another 12 hours.

Asturias56
18th Mar 2021, 08:20
A 777 is a lot better than a 747......... I find them a bit noisy cp an Airbus or a 787 but otherwise they're fine - even in slave

ZFT
18th Mar 2021, 08:30
Everyone has different preferences and opinions. I dislike B777s as I have far too many scars from those appalling overhead bins!!!
Unlike you, the B747 is still my Queen.

nuisance79
18th Mar 2021, 10:04
Personally I just focus on reserving an isle seat if possible and don't worry too much about the overall cabin configuration. Its nice to be able to move about the cabin freely without disturbing the passengers either side of you and being 6.3, I like to stick a leg out in the isle when possible. Also, there is always the possibility of equipment change here and there anyway.

I recall a flight in the early 00's (DXB-BHX) and for the entire flight the gentleman next to me refused to move and let me out.

Hartington
18th Mar 2021, 10:58
I've been mulling this overnight and something else came to me. The airlines don't really guarantee anything about their flights. Not timing, where you'll sit (even if you preselect a seat) and, in this context, what aircraft you'll fly on.

In the current circumstances the little viewing I've done of airline websites to make bookings suggests to me they are still publishing schedules for anything from about 3 months from whatever day you are looking on based on their historical data. What they then do is take a more realistic view of what they think might happen and they then change the assigned aircraft to meet the actual booking levels. What that means is that, if things continue as they are you could book a 777 (despite your misgivings) and end up on something completely different. If things get better you might have booked a 787 and end up on a 777.

Even back when things were stable I've had it happen to me. I booked a 747, checked in online the night before and saw a 747 seat plan, got to the airport and I was given a new boarding pass for what turned out to be a 777.

Cymmon
23rd Mar 2021, 08:04
I really regret the 777 when fitted with 3-4-3 seating, so cramped!
They've started 3-3-3 on 787 too. They seem to put too many into business do need to recoup the list revenue by cramming economy.

rog747
23rd Mar 2021, 12:29
Air Transat operate the A330-200 and -300 to Europe and some of their fleet have 2-4-2 Y seating (others have a 3-3-3 config but have plenty of pairs of 2 seats as well down the back)
Thy do have a Club Class with 2-2-2

Westjet flies the new 787 and its very nice - they have 2-3-2 in Premium Y.

you may find aer lingus has a 2-4-2 config