PDA

View Full Version : Airfield In NSW

Flyer517
16th Mar 2021, 02:25
A question to the PPRuNe brains trust.

I seem to recall from my flight training years ago overflying an airfield in the eastern part of NSW, around where the horse studs near places like Murrurundi are. I remember my instructor at the time saying it was privately owned, was used to ferry horses in and out of the country, and had a sealed strip that could handle aircraft of at least B727 size. I can also picture a strip in my mind that was in a roughly 10/28 orientation.

I can't seem to find it on a map though. However both the location and orientation are only fuzzy memories after all these years.

Is anybody familiar with this place or is my memory playing tricks on me again?

Many thanks in advance.

KRviator
16th Mar 2021, 02:34
Best I can come up with that meets that criteria is the strip at Jerry's Plains (https://goo.gl/maps/ZZ9D3oSwjesp8igdA). Originally 1.4km / 4,500' long, PVT, sealed, lit and every time I've seen it, apparently quite well maintained. Pretty sure it's owned by Coolmore Stud.

Capt Fathom
16th Mar 2021, 05:45
had a sealed strip that could handle aircraft of at least B727 size

Would have to be a Colombian registered 727! :E

mcoates
16th Mar 2021, 07:25
there is a sealed airstrip on one of the studs, apparently it could handle jets and it ran parallel with the road on the southern side. I landed there a few times in trike when the weather was bad to wait it out for a couple of hours and go again

Ascend Charlie
16th Mar 2021, 08:01
There was another at Rosemount winery, Sandy Oatley had hangars with (I think) a Citation there. But I can't find it on the map.

edsbar
16th Mar 2021, 21:05
Arrowfield it used to be known as, between Jerrys Plains and Denman.

mcoates
16th Mar 2021, 21:22
Arrowfield it used to be known as, between Jerrys Plains and Denman.

Thats the location, just on the southern side of the road running parallel.

Flyer517
16th Mar 2021, 23:51
As soon as I saw the Arrowfield name I recognised it. Thanks folks. That's the one.

Most appreciated.

mcoates
17th Mar 2021, 01:18
From about 20-30 years ago there were all sorts of rumors' happening for people that used the strip... e.g. if you landed your aircraft had to be taken out on a trailer they would not allow you to fly out etc. etc. they would charge you a $5000 landing fee etc.

The few times I got caught there with weather and needed to use this strip because the lower Hunter was fogged in, one time nobody came in about six hours that I was there and in another time they came and took me up to one of the commercial buildings for tea coffee etc..

I heard about five years ago that the strip was used for Top Gear or something like that

Flyer517
17th Mar 2021, 02:31
I think I heard the same stories MCoates.

Always looked well maintained though. The gee gees must generate a lot of dollars!