PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for removal of frost

Greedy
15th Mar 2021, 07:43
This is a question for the more senior PPruners out there.
In the days of TAA and Ansett F27 country destination flying what equipment and or personnel was available at country ports for the removal of frost ?

White Knight
15th Mar 2021, 19:16
In the days of TAA and Ansett F27 country destination flying what equipment and or personnel was available at country ports for the removal of frost ?

Kick the tyres, piss on the wing and light the fires:ok:

Checkboard
15th Mar 2021, 20:21
Probably the same equipment that is available now.

aroa
15th Mar 2021, 22:15
Vodka makes a good anti icing fluid to swab the wings. Might be cheap in Russia but uneconomic here

Icy morning at sun up. Buy bottle of. Get some glasses and friends. Salute whatever and thrown down a few shots. Sleep it off. By afternoon the sun has cleared the wings. No probs... except for a bad headache.

Duck Pilot
16th Mar 2021, 08:57
When I few for Tasair we had a hot water tap with a hose at Devonport, got the ice off quick during the pre-flight although it would built up again quickly if you were delayed and the sun didn’t get on the aeroplane before departure.

Great fun flying an ice block around tassie in the middle of winter..... It’s amazing how much ice a Chieftain can carry, coupled without being able to see out the front windscreen due to the rim ice.

Mach E Avelli
16th Mar 2021, 10:12
To the best of my knowledge, back then the only places that had de ice rigs were Canberra and Launceston. There may have been something at Tamworth, as that was the main base for East West. Everywhere else you waited for the sun to rise.

Dora-9
16th Mar 2021, 18:38

Struggling to recall this, but I think that with Ansett there was some evil contraption (a drum incorporating a hand pump and a long "wand" thingie with two nozzles at the end). The theory was that it would reach the wings with the operator (read: First Officer) standing on the ground, but most of the fluid ended up drenching the hapless FO. Using it was to be avoided at all costs!