PDA

View Full Version : JAR-ATPL in the States - only three schools?

Sentenza
11th Mar 2001, 05:23
Hi All,

For various reasons I've decided to go for a JAA ATPL in the States. FWIW, I currently hold a PPL ASEL. After reading through the posts here on the forum, I saw in one message about Orlando Flight Training that apparently there were only three flight schools in the States were this was possible, namely Naples Air Center, Pan Am International Flight Academy, and International Flight Training.

Now, my question or request is two-fold:

Firstly, can someone please confirm whether the above is true, or whether there are in fact other JAR-FCL-compliant flight schools in the States and post their web-adresses? E. g. I've heard of one school in Michigan.

Secondly, I would appreciate it if someone could post his or her opinions about some of those schools. For instance, is one school especially poor, or is another one especially good, and why.

I would appreciate any and all responses, either here in the forum or by e-mail: [email protected]

Always three greens

Mike

TooHotToFly
11th Mar 2001, 14:54
List of schools currently approved can be found at http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_approvedftos.pdf - I can't tell you if they're any good though.

rolling circle
11th Mar 2001, 15:42
There is only one school in the US approved to conduct training for the JAR ATPL(A) - Western Michigan University.

IFTA and PanAm are approved to conduct only flight training for the CPL(A) and the Instrument Rating and flight and ground training for the MEP Class Rating.

Naples Air Center and Ormond Beach Aviation are approved to conduct flight and ground training only for the MEP Class Rating.

Mr Magoo
11th Mar 2001, 15:53
I was at Orlando Flight Training a couple of months ago and they were talking about getting approval for CPL training thenso it might be worth giving them a call to see if they've got the approval sorted yet. - as a tip aviod the 152's and Katanas (the Warriors and 172's are super though)

Cheers

Magoo

[This message has been edited by Mr Magoo (edited 11 March 2001).]

gazelle507
11th Mar 2001, 20:05
PAN AM are in fact approved to conduct all flight phases of the JAA ATPL. They are also approved to conduct the JAA CPL and ME skill tests and are currently looking at approval to conduct the I/R skill test.
I have visited the campus at FT Pierce and will recommend PAN AM as a professional and well established school.
West Michigan University is I believe the only other school able to offer JAA ATPL, and only offers residential intergrated courses. All other schools are only approved to conduct prep courses

EggBeta
11th Mar 2001, 20:33
hERE'S THE INFO ON BAE, LOOKS REAL GOOD, PLUS SOME DEALS FOR MAR & APRIL STARTERS, I WISH THERE JUST OFFERED THE JAA GRN PLUS ME & COM IR MODULES, AT THE MOMENT YOU HAVE TO DO THE FULL AB INITIO.

The Marketing Department

BAE SYSTEMS Flight Training (EUROPE)

Aeropuerto de Jerez

Antigua Base Militar La Parra

11401 Jerez de La Frontera

Cadiz

Spain

Tel: + 34 956 317806

Fax: + 34 956 182433

Email: [email protected]

WWW.BAE.COM (http://WWW.BAE.COM)

rolling circle
11th Mar 2001, 20:57
gazelle507 - You are either astonishingly ill-informed or are being deliberately economical with the truth. To analyse each part of your post in turn.

"PAN AM are in fact approved to conduct all flight phases of the JAA ATPL" A deliberately disingenuous statement - the "flight phases" of the JAA ATPL are no more than the modular CPL and the modular Instrument Rating, for both of which IFTA also holds approval.

"They are also approved to conduct the JAA CPL and ME skill tests and are currently looking at approval to conduct the I/R skill test" Incorrect on three counts

1. CPL Skill Tests at organisations conducting modular courses of training must be carried out by Flight Examiners who are completely independent of that organisation. There is no such thing as 'Approval to conduct the CPL Skill Test'

2. Licensing Skill Tests for the MEP Class Rating can be carried out by any Class Rating Examiner. There is no such thing as 'Approval to conduct the LST(SPA)'

3. The initial Instrument Rating Skill Test may be conducted only by a CAA staff Flight Examiner and must be conducted in the state of licence issue. There is no such thing as 'Approval to conduct the IR Skill Test'

"I have visited the campus at FT Pierce and will recommend PAN AM as a professional and well established school." Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. However, given the accuracy of your other comments on the subject..........

"West Michigan University is I believe the only other school able to offer JAA ATPL, and only offers residential intergrated courses" Not quite correct, Western Michigan is the only school able to offer JAA ATPL - PanAm is not so approved!

"All other schools are only approved to conduct prep courses" Incorrect - As previously stated, IFTA holds approvals identical in every respect to those held by PanAm. Furthermore, a number of other identical approvals for schools in the US and elsewhere are in the pipeline.

This is post is not intended to make any statement on the merits, relative or absolute, of any training organisation - merely to counter the almost totally incorrect impression of the relative merits of one school over all others created by gazelle507 for reasons which we may only surmise.

Any rumours to the effect that gazelle507 is in the paid employ of PanAm and that his remarks are no more than a scurrilous marketing ploy are, of course, totally without foundation.

EggBeta
11th Mar 2001, 21:01
Sorry guys posted answer on the wrong thread!
Please ignore the above, unless you are interetsed in the BAe ab initio in Spain.

'I' in the sky
12th Mar 2001, 16:36
Rolling Circle.

If a US bank placed a lien against the 'entire assets' of a school holding approvals to conduct training for JAA CPL and IR modules, would this affect the status of their approvals ?

Noggin
13th Mar 2001, 03:12
In order to obtain a JAA approval a FTO must provide evidence of sufficient funding for the course(s) for which approval is sought. This is normally a simple statement endorsed by an auditor. A financial statement is required on each annual renewal of the approval. If this was not forthcoming, the approval would not be granted.
However, I am sure you could produce such a document whatever your real financial status, banks can be fooled and aviation authorities are not accountants.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 12 March 2001).]

Sentenza
13th Mar 2001, 04:27
Hi All,

thanks everyone for their replies, and especially TooHotToFly and rolling circle. You have already helped me quite a bit. Thanks again.

Mike