PDA

View Full Version : Belgian F-16 Fleet Grounded - Engine Problems

RAFEngO74to09
10th Mar 2021, 17:56
Netherlands covering QRA for them.

Belgium’s Hard-Worked F-16 Fighter Jet Fleet Has Just Been Grounded (thedrive.com) (https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/39691/belgiums-hard-worked-f-16-fighter-jet-fleet-has-just-been-grounded?xid=twittershare)

BAF F16 FA-118 #STING21 technical failure during take-off, parts of the engine exhausts broke off. - YouTube

Finningley Boy
11th Mar 2021, 10:37
I was just about to post another link, as far as I'm aware, the KLU hasn't got a lot of F-16 operational, about three squadrons covering every considered form of tactical role. I don't want to sound like a typical jingo type, but doesn't this expose the fair-weather attitude of western democracies (US excepted) to any serious defence considerations? There'll be those who'll say thank god for the EU and others who'll, more rightly say in my opinion, thank god for NATO. But which ever way you slice the cake, this should not happen, Belgium, albeit a small country with allies surrounding it, has been left without a single air defence, ground attack, strike or reconnaissance fighter!

FB

air pig
11th Mar 2021, 11:09
I was just about to post another link, as far as I'm aware, the KLU hasn't got a lot of F-16 operational, about three squadrons covering every considered form of tactical role. I don't want to sound like a typical jingo type, but doesn't this expose the fair-weather attitude of western democracies (US excepted) to any serious defence considerations? There'll be those who'll say thank god for the EU and others who'll, more rightly say in my opinion, thank god for NATO. But which ever way you slice the cake, this should not happen, Belgium, albeit a small country with allies surrounding it, has been left without a single air defence, ground attack, strike or reconnaissance fighter!

FB
Weew the Belgian's and Dutch not doing turn and turn about for their air defence, covering each otyher?

M609
11th Mar 2021, 11:59
Apparently the failure was in a part that the Norwegian F-16 fleet did a fleet wide modification on in 2008, according to www.tu.no (https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.tu.no/artikler/motorfeil-pa-flere-f-16-gjor-at-belgia-setter-hele-flaten-pa-bakken-norge-er-ogsa-varslet/507770)

Finningley Boy
11th Mar 2021, 12:26
Weew the Belgian's and Dutch not doing turn and turn about for their air defence, covering each otyher?
It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to make a play for the EU, supposedly denied, agenda for an integrated single command structure Euro Armed Forces, often referred to in lay terms as the Euro Army.

FB

Arclite01
11th Mar 2021, 12:45
For me it highlights the issue of reliance on a single type for the role. Lose 1 due to a fleet wide tech issue - lose them all...................

Arc

Finningley Boy
11th Mar 2021, 18:01
For me it highlights the issue of reliance on a single type for the role. Lose 1 due to a fleet wide tech issue - lose them all...................

Arc
Precisely Arclite01, precisely!

FB

gums
11th Mar 2021, 23:53
Salute!

It may not be reliance on the plane but the engine. Even then, some batches do not have defective blades or control units, but maybe wear and tear on the nozzles and other components.

No matter how many tests and simulations and models, once a plane or engine gets to the field we always find some glitches. Most are minor, very, very few are major.

The first F-35 loss here at Eglin was the engine blades not correctly seated in the surrounding shroud of the new motor, and that sucker is a beast. So the concept was for the rotating blades to make their own grooves. Well, no problems with a few dozen engines during test, but then we have a few hundred! Guess what? So improved engine inspections and such have resulted in no more engine failures of that type.

.. Gums sends...

megan
12th Mar 2021, 01:32
For me it highlights the issue of reliance on a single type for the role. Lose 1 due to a fleet wide tech issue - lose them allThere was a practice in some commercial operations to have dual types in the fleet for that precise reason. Seemed to work OK in WWII though, common engine in Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster, Mustang, Mosquito, Halifax, albeit different marks.

Finningley Boy
12th Mar 2021, 05:13
Salute!

It may not be reliance on the plane but the engine. Even then, some batches do not have defective blades or control units, but maybe wear and tear on the nozzles and other components.

No matter how many tests and simulations and models, once a plane or engine gets to the field we always find some glitches. Most are minor, very, very few are major.

The first F-35 loss here at Eglin was the engine blades not correctly seated in the surrounding shroud of the new motor, and that sucker is a beast. So the concept was for the rotating blades to make their own grooves. Well, no problems with a few dozen engines during test, but then we have a few hundred! Guess what? So improved engine inspections and such have resulted in no more engine failures of that type.

.. Gums sends...
Gums,

The RAF had this very problem with the Armstrong Siddley Sapphire engines in the Gloster Javelin back in the 1960s. A sudden drop in temperature when flying through heavy cumulus, the cold caused the engine casing to shrink with the sharp drop in degrees to the extent that it came into contact with the compressor blades with inevitable results. They called it centre-line closure. The remedy, a typical British economic approach, and it worked! They coated the blade tips with an abrasive, this naturally sanded down a groove into the casing when a sudden drop in pressure/temperature was encountered.

FB:cool:

Martin the Martian
12th Mar 2021, 12:16
The problem is, what can you do if you can only afford to operate one type of aircraft?

sycamore
12th Mar 2021, 13:51
So ,i guess the BBMF are ready in case of `Typhoon problems...!

DIBO
19th Mar 2021, 20:58
Problem fixed https://www.aviation24.be/military-aircraft/belgian-air-component/the-belgian-air-force-f-16-fleet-is-operational-again/

Mil-26Man
19th Mar 2021, 21:27
So ,i guess the BBMF are ready in case of `Typhoon problems...!

Them, or the F-35s.