PDA

View Full Version : Government's $1.2 billion 'ticket to recovery' offers 800,000 half-price airfares

SHVC
10th Mar 2021, 11:45
Qantas and Virgin will also be provided monthly retention payments that will be used as part subsidies for the wages of 8600 international aviation employees and ensure planes are flight-ready in anticipation of overseas travel resuming when the vaccination rollout concludes in late October

Seems Sharpie missed out here.

Transition Layer
10th Mar 2021, 11:49
Qantas and Virgin will also be provided monthly retention payments that will be used as part subsidies for the wages of 8600 international aviation employees and ensure planes are flight-ready in anticipation of overseas travel resuming when the vaccination rollout concludes in late October

Seems Sharpie missed out here.

EAD Sharpie you corrupt old fool!

Fonz121
10th Mar 2021, 13:35
So what exactly does this mean for us international crew?

“Airlines will receive federal payments to keep about 8600 workers in jobs until international travel resumes in November, with Qantas and Virgin asked to prove their readiness to restart long-haul flights.”

Doesn’t inspire confidence that we’ll actually receive any cash to get us by until then. Hope I’m wrong.

DirectAnywhere
10th Mar 2021, 17:44

“Airlines will receive federal payments to keep about 8600 workers in jobs until international travel resumes in November, with Qantas and Virgin asked to prove their readiness to restart long-haul flights.”

Doesn’t inspire confidence that we’ll actually receive any cash to get us by until then. Hope I’m wrong.

Nor does it deal with the fundamental problem domestically - leakage from hotel quarantine and arbitrary state border closures. Doesn’t matter how cheap the fares are if borders don’t stay open or people don’t have the confidence they’re not going to be slapped with 14 days quarantine or locked out of their home state again.

I’m also pretty confident Virgin won’t be able to ‘prove its readiness to restart long-haul flights’.

I’d like to know how the government and airlines would deal with crew all stood down again after being stood up and giving up their secondary employment? The response I’m sure would be something along the lines of, “That’s a hypothetical and we don’t deal in hypotheticals.”.

KRUSTY 34
10th Mar 2021, 17:44
Exactly how does the “Longhaul payments” benefit Virgin?

Ladloy
10th Mar 2021, 18:43
What a half arsed approach.

SHVC
10th Mar 2021, 19:08
What a half arsed approach.

Really?? why please explain.

The idea is not to give cash directly as in the form of a job keeper 2.0. I think its a far better idea this will make premiers think a little harder and have less knee jerk reactions to closing borders and entire states over 1 case as this method is providing a massive boost to tourism in the form of actual tourist. Only paying half price the punters will have confidence now and will soak this up like a sponge in water.

wheels_down
10th Mar 2021, 19:41
It won’t. They will get a proportionate amount compared to QF. They already made that call to axe the fleet QF has not. Those jobs are already gone. Virgin will need to wear those widebody costs in a number of years when they re launch.

Taxpayers cannot subsides wages forever and so they shouldn’t. Don’t tell me this is is breaking news to anyone, I mean it’s been coming for months.

hoss
10th Mar 2021, 19:52
I think the term used was International not ‘long haul’ travel!

Ladloy
10th Mar 2021, 20:09
Really?? why please explain.

The idea is not to give cash directly as in the form of a job keeper 2.0. I think its a far better idea this will make premiers think a little harder and have less knee jerk reactions to closing borders and entire states over 1 case as this method is providing a massive boost to tourism in the form of actual tourist. Only paying half price the punters will have confidence now and will soak this up like a sponge in water.
I honestly doubt they will soak it up. Its not an extensive list and what's stopping the airlines from just jacking up prices? It won't benefit the employees and there will still be many jobs lost.

I firmly believe that the border closures are pretty much a thing of the past because of the vaccine rollout. If only the federal government took responsibility at the start for hotel quarantine or had a national approach it could have been a different story. Not worth derailing this thread by arguing about borders like every other discussion on this forum.

This policy won't save jobs and it's just a policy to make it look like the government is doing something.

wheels_down
10th Mar 2021, 20:14
It’s not all about propping you Qantas and Virgin. The tickets are about boosting the local destinations at the other end. Qantas and Virgin are getting subsidies for Airport charges, training and maintenance.

If people are stood down because of certain states making certain decisions, well then those states can pay the wages of stood down staff.

Stood Down Long Haul staff sitting on the fence waiting for some form of wage subsidy, I mean are you living on mars?

Ladloy
10th Mar 2021, 20:16
It’s not all about propping you Qantas and Virgin. The tickets are about boosting the local destinations at the other end. Qantas and Virgin are getting subsidies for Airport charges, training and maintenance.

If people are stood down because of certain states making certain decisions, well then those states can pay the wages of stood down staff.

As I said, border closures will be a thing of the past. The government never shuts up about jobs, I can't see how this policy keeps them.

wheels_down
10th Mar 2021, 20:19
You local FNQ tourism operators won’t need to shut down now and keep the business going because an influx of tourists are about to arrive? Jobs saved?

ManillaChillaDilla
10th Mar 2021, 20:20
With many of us about to go to the wall. The onus is really on the employer to actually do the right thing with this international subsidy.

Unfortunately, the organisation I work for ( or worked for ) have not been transparent or abiding by the rule set when dishing out Jobkeeper. Personnaly I had 5 jobkeeper payments simply disappear never to be seen or heard of again.

I simply dont trust a managment structure that is completely out of touch whith the stark realities facing International pilots. Fuzzy rhetoric and glossy e magazines with domestic crew having a ball dont help or pay the bills.

If this rubbish drags on towards the end of the year it will simply be too little too late for many financially. Including me. And I am one of the more fortunate ones.

Sure they want the aircraft flight ready. How ready will Piots be after this event?

There is a VERY large elephant in the room here that is convienently being ignored by all in charge. Long Term Mental health.

Expect nothing from your employer or the government and you wont be dissapointed.

Look after your selves guys.

MCD.

Ladloy
10th Mar 2021, 20:36
You local FNQ tourism operators won’t need to shut down now and keep the business going because an influx of tourists are about to arrive? Jobs saved?
Ticket prices will double and the influx will be negligible.

wheels_down
10th Mar 2021, 20:43
Ticket prices will double and the influx will be negligible.
It will be interesting to see how this is managed, ie the Airlines website, or a tourism website. One will price gouge the other won’t.

Ladloy
10th Mar 2021, 20:54
It will be interesting to see how this is managed, ie the Airlines website, or a tourism website. One will price gouge the other won’t.
Rex and qantaslink have been gouging with RANS by increasing prices to ensure pax loads are low enough to be eligible, it's a win-win for them. I am certain something similar will happen with this.

Global Aviator
10th Mar 2021, 20:55
Government is screwed whatever approach they take, can’t please everyone.

If this is a real attempt at a domestic tourism stimulus then it has to be a good thing. It will be easy for us to see if the sales and seats are real by checking loads. There are plenty here driving all airlines.

It is a cold hard fact that there will be no international holidays so let’s hope that this encourages and converts into domestic bookings.

Now let’s hope the ground based tourism businesses don’t go crazy with prices and provide a great service. Yes I am kind of pointing the finger at hotels, prices can kind of remind me of when we had only two airlines to choose from.

Now keep borders open!

transition_alt
10th Mar 2021, 20:59
I fail to see how this will change anything...

People have been on JobKeeper for a year now (including people not in aviation / tourism). This support is about to end.

The government want people to start taking local holidays, which are already more expensive than international holidays most of the time.

So they give half price flights to 800,000 people. What were these fares originally? $100-150? So they’ve saved $50-75 each way.

People still need to pay thousands for the rest of their holiday that hasn’t been offered support. Albeit, a small ‘low interest’ loan.

What a joke.

LapSap
10th Mar 2021, 21:02
What the hell will be a “half-priced” fare anyway?
Half of the full Y Class fare???
yeh right.

Paragraph377
10th Mar 2021, 21:20
I fail to see how this will change anything...

People have been on JobKeeper for a year now (including people not in aviation / tourism). This support is about to end.

The government want people to start taking local holidays, which are already more expensive than international holidays most of the time.

So they give half price flights to 800,000 people. What were these fares originally? $100-150? So they’ve saved $50-75 each way.

People still need to pay thousands for the rest of their holiday that hasn’t been offered support. Albeit, a small ‘low interest’ loan.

What a joke.

Agreed. It’s a huge effing joke and shows how the Pollies in their Can’tberra bubble are totally disconnected from reality. Cheaper airfares? Yeah right, for who? For people who have lost their businesses, barely eeking out an existence on unemployment benefits, lost their homes? These jerks in Can’tberra are acting like COVID doesn’t exist and never did. Everything is normal. Then, as has been mentioned, why would you invest your precious few pennies in a planned holiday when morons like Politicians threaten to shut borders when a fragment of old COVID is found in a Pensioners turd in a sewerage treatment plant, or the local school headmaster sneezes or heaven forbid some pre-school kid catches knits!!!! Quick quick shut Australia down. Absolute jerkoffs who have no idea whatsoever.

Potsie Weber
10th Mar 2021, 21:30

I think payments will be direct to employees but will be conditional on maintaining a level of training, simulators, EPs etc. If you have a second job and can’t be flexible to attend training, you’ll probably not qualify. Just my thoughts.

Fonz121
10th Mar 2021, 21:57
Agreed. It’s a huge effing joke and shows how the Pollies in their Can’tberra bubble are totally disconnected from reality. Cheaper airfares? Yeah right, for who? For people who have lost their businesses, barely eeking out an existence on unemployment benefits, lost their homes? These jerks in Can’tberra are acting like COVID doesn’t exist and never did. Everything is normal. Then, as has been mentioned, why would you invest your precious few pennies in a planned holiday when morons like Politicians threaten to shut borders when a fragment of old COVID is found in a Pensioners turd in a sewerage treatment plant, or the local school headmaster sneezes or heaven forbid some pre-school kid catches knits!!!! Quick quick shut Australia down. Absolute jerkoffs who have no idea whatsoever.

As unfortunate as it is, I think we’re the ones in the bubble now. The vast majority of the population seem to be going great guns and us aviation and tourism folk are the only ones feeling like there’s an actual pandemic going on.

I initially thought this was a pretty poorly conceived idea, but naming actual tourist hotspots (sorry for the dirty word) in every state and territory that will directly benefit from this is probably a smart way to put pressure on state governments to think more carefully about flippantly closing borders. I guess we’ll soon see how popular it is with uptake.

Fonz121
10th Mar 2021, 21:59
I think payments will be direct to employees but will be conditional on maintaining a level of training, simulators, EPs etc. If you have a second job and can’t be flexible to attend training, you’ll probably not qualify. Just my thoughts.

Yeah it’s become clearer now with emails from the company and it looks like it might be similar to JK which will be a huge help.

Icarus2001
10th Mar 2021, 22:07
The vast majority of the population seem to be going great guns and us aviation and tourism folk are the only ones feeling like there’s an actual pandemic going on.My bolding.

Wow, open your eyes.
Do you remember the live entertainment industry? Concerts? Festivals? Tours? Theatre?
Bars and restaurants not allowed to operate at 100% capacity.

Kaboobla
10th Mar 2021, 22:26
I heard Tin Foil Hat 2 this morning on the Ben Fordham program saying that fat cat rich Qantas pilots should get no assistance because they have jobs and are all sitting on millions of dollars of assets. All assistance to pilots should be paid to semi-literate emotionally stunted members of his fan club only

Fonz121
10th Mar 2021, 22:37
My bolding.

Wow, open your eyes.
Do you remember the live entertainment industry? Concerts? Festivals? Tours? Theatre?

Yes, all getting back at it. My folks went to a theatre production at The Powerhouse the other day. But yeah I guess if domestic tourism is getting help then so should these guys.

Not comparable to the dire position of international employees however.

wheels_down
10th Mar 2021, 22:38
Rex should be eligible for these tickets as they are launching flights to the Gold Coast. They will probably start a Cairns service now. They are in the business of chasing incentives which is how they survive.

If they are not we all know they will blame their demise on unfair treatment.

Colonel_Klink
10th Mar 2021, 22:40
My bolding.

Wow, open your eyes.

I can only speak from my own personal experiences - plenty of my friends who are employed as lawyers, accounts, who manage construction companies and tradies are all saying that business is pretty good at the moment. Most of my tradie mates are saying the last 12 months has been very busy for them.

And my local cafe owner (and we are in Melbourne) who was doing it very tough in the middle of last year says now business is up 20% on this time last year (pre Covid).

So unfortunately I do agree - those in the aviation and tourism sectors are in a bubble where things are still very tough. I don’t doubt there are other industries in similar situations - however there are a lot of Australians out there who have plenty of cash because they haven’t been able to spend as much recently.

I do hope this new government package works out (and I have been pretty scathing of the governments handling of most things to date) - more people travelling is a great thing for the economy overall.

Fatguyinalittlecoat
10th Mar 2021, 23:07
Rex should be eligible for these tickets as they are launching flights to the Gold Coast. They will probably start a Cairns service now. They are in the business of chasing incentives which is how they survive.

If they are not we all know they will blame their demise on unfair treatment.

I believe that is incorrect. The airline has to have flown the particular route in the last 2 years. Rex will not qualify.

wheels_down
10th Mar 2021, 23:40
I believe that is incorrect. The airline has to have flown the particular route in the last 2 years. Rex will not qualify.
Great. Now we will have more tantrums to put up with.

ROH111
10th Mar 2021, 23:40
Windge windge windge.

all these complaints about something designed to help. REGARDLESS of how minor it is, it’s something but to everyone here it’s just not good enough.

typical pilots, god, you’d think this pandemic would have helped to change your perspective.... but I guess nothing will.

Agent_86
11th Mar 2021, 00:22
Jetstar should do very well when they retrieve their 787's from ASP and plonk them on Australian Domestic Ops...

Agent_86
11th Mar 2021, 00:25

Why should it? VAI are dead, buried, gawwwnnn...

1A_Please
11th Mar 2021, 00:35
I can only speak from my own personal experiences - plenty of my friends who are employed as lawyers, accounts, who manage construction companies and tradies are all saying that business is pretty good at the moment. Most of my tradie mates are saying the last 12 months has been very busy for them.

And my local cafe owner (and we are in Melbourne) who was doing it very tough in the middle of last year says now business is up 20% on this time last year (pre Covid).

So unfortunately I do agree - those in the aviation and tourism sectors are in a bubble where things are still very tough. I don’t doubt there are other industries in similar situations - however there are a lot of Australians out there who have plenty of cash because they haven’t been able to spend as much recently.

I do hope this new government package works out (and I have been pretty scathing of the governments handling of most things to date) - more people travelling is a great thing for the economy overall.
Nearly 90% of those who were on JobKeeper are now off it and the economy is generally doing well except for the obvious struggling sectors. This incentive is aimed at injecting life into both the aviation and tourism sector and, by definition, those regions that rely on them. Of course, you can argue about its breadth and which regions are targetted but generally the sentiment is good. The aviation sector gets a direct hit and hopefully it passes through. Even those in the international side of aviation may get a boost with airlines such as JQ looking at deploying its int'l 787 fleet onto domestic routes and you'd assume QF will do the same with its A330s.

It is clear the government is keen to move beyond the survival period of the pandemic ,which was what JobKeeper was all about, to a new phase where struggling sectors are assisted in standing back up. Sadly, not all businesses will make it but endless subsidies to zombie businesses is not the answer.

Agent_86
11th Mar 2021, 01:02
[QUOTE=1A_Please;11006233...with airlines such as JQ looking at deploying its int'l 787 fleet onto domestic routes and you'd assume QF will do the same with its A330s...[/QUOTE]

QF have already replaced a number of BNE/PER/BNE 737 services with A330's in order for the 737's to redeployed on the East Coast runs and potentially the Pacific Islands - routes vacated by VA...

wheels_down
11th Mar 2021, 01:03
He didn’t take long.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/qantas-virgin-say-12bn-aviation-relief-package-is-fantastic-news/news-story/d604104661b7399191d67555eda83713
Regional Express airline has branded the federal government’s aviation support package as a “Qantas bailout” that will advantage the country’s biggest carrier at the expense of others.

The criticism by Rex deputy chairman John Sharp comes as tourism industry leaders voice their disappointment in the package, which offers half-price airfares and cheap loans to operators but not an extension of JobKeeper.

Qantas and Virgin Australia have both welcomed the $1.2bn lifeline, designed to stimulate domestic travel between the states and territories and help the airlines retain skilled workers.

Around 800,000 half-price fares will be offered in the next four months, including 550,000 on Qantas and Jetstar flights – or 32,000 a week.

hoss58
11th Mar 2021, 01:07
Why should it? VAI are dead, buried, gawwwnnn...

In its previous guise then yes.

But anyone who thinks VA hasn't got any interest in operating internationally again, in whatever capacity that may be then they have rocks in their heads.

Cheers Hoss58

Icarus2001
11th Mar 2021, 01:13
But anyone who thinks VA hasn't got any interest in operating internationally again, in whatever capacity that may be then they have rocks in their heads.
No one has said anything like that.
Auckland counts as international. Winter flights to Christchurch for skiers...

1A_Please
11th Mar 2021, 01:15
Correct, VA has clearly stated they are interested in restarting int'l services to DPS, NAN and NZ when they can. They are probably a bit more equivocal on any int'l services that require them to operate their own widebody fleets so routes such as LAX and HND are probably off the agenda for the next few years at least.

hoss58
11th Mar 2021, 02:17
No one has said anything like that.
Auckland counts as international. Winter flights to Christchurch for skiers...

The comments of Agent 86 seem to suggest otherwise. The point i was making is that VAI are far from dead and buried.

However if you wanted to argue semantics technically VAI is deceased as they were merged back into VA.

As i said international ops are a given in time and make no mistake about it, long haul will be in their calculations.

And thank you for the geography lesson but I am familiar with the location of Auckland.

Cheers Hoss58

Lapon
11th Mar 2021, 03:39
Nearly 90% of those who were on JobKeeper are now off it and the economy is generally doing well except for the obvious struggling sectors. This incentive is aimed at injecting life into both the aviation and tourism sector and, by definition, those regions that rely on them. Of course, you can argue about its breadth and which regions are targetted but generally the sentiment is good. The aviation sector gets a direct hit and hopefully it passes through. Even those in the international side of aviation may get a boost with airlines such as JQ looking at deploying its int'l 787 fleet onto domestic routes and you'd assume QF will do the same with its A330s.

It is clear the government is keen to move beyond the survival period of the pandemic ,which was what JobKeeper was all about, to a new phase where struggling sectors are assisted in standing back up. Sadly, not all businesses will make it but endless subsidies to zombie businesses is not the answer.

Well said.

The only people I know who are still adversely affected are those in the airlines/tourism. Many outside of these areas are doing better than they were pre-covid, or at least no worse.
Sure, there is going to be some players left behind and some local business affected by capicity restrictions etc, but the latter category are state limitations for state goverments to address.
This stimulus at least goes some way to helping two large industries still affected by a federal decision to (for all intents and purposes) close the Australian border to international arrivals.

The discounted ticketing is designed to incentivise people to actually travel to a destination in the first place so they can spend thier hard earnt on arrival, rather than providing endless subidies to keep everyone afloat.

The devil will be in the detail of how the thing is actually administered of course, but at the end of the day the goverment were going to be dammed if they did, and dammed if they didn't.

mates rates
11th Mar 2021, 05:19
My understanding is that several VA B777’s currently sitting at Wellcamp are available if and when required.

SHVC
11th Mar 2021, 05:24
My understanding is that several VA B777’s currently sitting at Wellcamp are available if and when required.

Who would fly these 777s? Don’t think there would be to many ex777 skippers on the 737 would there?

Ladloy
11th Mar 2021, 06:24
And there it is. Marginal electorates targeted.

Icarus2001
11th Mar 2021, 06:28
My understanding is that several VA B777’s currently sitting at Wellcamp are available if and when required. VA won't be needing them for about three years. Hold that thought.

Don Diego
11th Mar 2021, 07:06
The palacechook can place her tourist destinations where the sun doesn’t shine!!! Beautiful one day, rip off central the next.

Tony the Tiler
11th Mar 2021, 07:32
Correct, VA has clearly stated they are interested in restarting int'l services to DPS, NAN and NZ when they can. They are probably a bit more equivocal on any int'l services that require them to operate their own widebody fleets so routes such as LAX and HND are probably off the agenda for the next few years at least.

Er, didn’t all the shareholders get wiped out in the collapse and subsequent sale of Virgin to Bain and Co? No more SIA, HNA, Nanshan, Etihad or Virgin Group shares? Are we to believe that through the carnage, that VAI, the plucky majority Australian owned entity within Virgin survived, even though all the 777’s and A330’s were repossessed?

If VAI rise like a phoenix from the ashes as a majority Australian owned company while all around it get wiped out it would be a curious turn of events indeed. Especially since it no longer has any aircraft, AOC, or pilots to speak of.

Maybe the emperor has clothes after all, and a company that went broke, went through a fire sale and was 100% purchased by Americans is Australian after all.

Foxxster
11th Mar 2021, 08:05

glad someone finally spotted it.

on a side but related note, they had a reporter in Sydney airport today talking to the head of retail there. Things are obviously dire now but they made the point that they don’t expect things to return to normal passenger levels for at least two to three years.

blubak
11th Mar 2021, 09:00
The palacechook can place her tourist destinations where the sun doesn’t shine!!! Beautiful one day, rip off central the next.
She certainly can,she & her moron health minister stood up & criticised the rest of the country for months on end without considering the consequences.
Now her words are coming back to bite her on her big fat ass as she realises(maybe) that the people she was constantly offending were the ones who supported the tourism industry in her state.

PoppaJo
11th Mar 2021, 09:48
She certainly can,she & her moron health minister stood up & criticised the rest of the country for months on end without considering the consequences.
Now her words are coming back to bite her on her big fat ass as she realises(maybe) that the people she was constantly offending were the ones who supported the tourism industry in her state.
Yet the public continues to vote her in. And these fools will do the same at the next election.

For a state that really told Labor to shove it at the last federal election, perhaps they might come to their senses at the next state election.

Paragraph377
11th Mar 2021, 11:07
Premier Young and Anna used COVID to play political games. Idiots sitting in their ivory towers not knowing the damage they were contributing too. Now they are panicking as they realise Queensland has been financially decimated.

DanV2
11th Mar 2021, 12:49

Ownership of the 77Ws have been transferred to the banks per the CASA registry as Bain are no longer paying the mortgage on the 777s and some of the redundant 737s. They were mortgaged (asset-stripped) long ago by SQ/EY/et al in exchange for capital from the banks, as the former owners were no longer willing to use their own funds into VA for numerous reasons discussed across the web over the years.

On a related note, the A330s and the sole leased 777 (rego: VH-VOZ) have been returned to the lessor(s) and/or in the process of returning to their lessor owners.

megle2
11th Mar 2021, 21:22
VOZ ferried to Singapore from Wellcamp last night

dr dre
11th Mar 2021, 23:35

Devonport and Burnie aren’t big tourist towns but were included on the list, they also sit in the seat of Braddon, one of the most marginal in Australia. The only place in NSW was Merimbula, inside the bellwether marginal seat of Eden-Monaro. Whilst places on the North Coast like Coffs Harbour and Byron Bay/Ballina in the safer electorates of Page and Cowper missed out. Kangaroo Island in Mayo which was Liberal until they lost it in 2016 to NXT/CA so they’d love to take that one back. The NT destinations are semi marginal to the ALP but Alice and Uluru would’ve been on any list. WA only got one destination in a safe Liberal seat, a lot of potential other destinations like Exmouth, Kununurra, Busselton also in safe seats missed out. Most of the expected Queensland destinations got subsidised however, regardless of seat status.

Whilst I can’t say all of decisions were based purely on politics, some of the decisions are questionable at the very least.....

LapSap
12th Mar 2021, 00:22
If the country is supposedly awash with 50billion tourist dollars that can’t be spent overseas, is saving a measly 100 or so bucks on the airfare component enough to swing somebody’s decision to suddenly take a domestic holiday that they wouldn’t have taken otherwise?? If that’s a game changer then they probably weren’t going to spend much at the other end!

1A_Please
12th Mar 2021, 01:19
If the country is supposedly awash with 50billion tourist dollars that can’t be spent overseas, is saving a measly 100 or so bucks on the airfare component enough to swing somebody’s decision to suddenly take a domestic holiday that they wouldn’t have taken otherwise?? If that’s a game changer then they probably weren’t going to spend much at the other end!
You are correct that the country's consumers haven't spent money on overseas tourists but savings ratios are way up as is expenditure on home improvements. Consumers aren't redirecting their spending into domestic tourism (border closures don't help here). The subsidy is a bit of a carrot to get people spending in this area. The alternative is direct pay supplements to affected workers but that is relatively inefficient as it doesn't stand businesses back up as well as not addressing the other impacts of people not working such as mental health, self-esteem and overall confidence in the future.

rattman
12th Mar 2021, 01:55
Dont know if its related to this scheme or not got a friend flying to cairns next week for 3 days of business. Went to hire 4wd, none available. Even standard cars there is very little choice.

1A_Please
12th Mar 2021, 02:05
There is a general shortage of rental cars. During the course of the lockdown rental car revenue obviously went through the floor and the rental car companies took advantage of a spike in used car values to shrink their fleets and get some cash. Now the market is recovering, they are caught with smaller fleets than ideal and prices have spiked accordingly.

PoppaJo
12th Mar 2021, 03:02
Rentals are scarce in Cairns from Feb to May, the car yards are emptied out and vehicles sent south. A trick during wet season is to pick the cheapest, more often than none end up with a model multiple upgrades up due to such small numbers available. I have had family select a Yaris and end up with a Merc.

Paragraph377
12th Mar 2021, 09:14
So people can purchase cheap airfares but sadly they don’t have the money to pay for the holiday component because they’ve either lost jobs, lost businesses, or they are trying to save a few sheckles for the next lockdown and mass job loss. As for destinations, we went for a leisurely week in a retreat in Stanthorpe last week - half the businesses were shut down permanently or only open for a day or two per week, even then they were only open for a few hours. So be prepared to go on that long awaited holiday only to find out at the other end that nothing is open or it is no longer operating. Fu#king Governments really have no idea of the colossal long term impact that this world is going to experience for years to come.

morno
12th Mar 2021, 10:37
So people can purchase cheap airfares but sadly they don’t have the money to pay for the holiday component because they’ve either lost jobs, lost businesses, or they are trying to save a few sheckles for the next lockdown and mass job loss. As for destinations, we went for a leisurely week in a retreat in Stanthorpe last week - half the businesses were shut down permanently or only open for a day or two per week, even then they were only open for a few hours. So be prepared to go on that long awaited holiday only to find out at the other end that nothing is open or it is no longer operating. Fu#king Governments really have no idea of the colossal long term impact that this world is going to experience for years to come.

Sorry buddy, apart from people in aviation, I don’t know anyone who’s jobless anymore.

People will travel. I took my kids to outback Queensland late last year, I couldn’t even get a table at several local pubs for dinner without a reservation the day before. Not to mention the numerous attractions which required me to book weeks in advance.

DanV2
12th Mar 2021, 11:32
VOZ ferried to Singapore from Wellcamp last night

VOZ (the sole lessed 77W) is returning to the lessor, Aviator Capital.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/boeing-777-300-vh-voz-virgin-australia/34j2q9

Potsie Weber
12th Mar 2021, 13:27
Sorry buddy, apart from people in aviation, I don’t know anyone who’s jobless anymore.

People will travel. I took my kids to outback Queensland late last year, I couldn’t even get a table at several local pubs for dinner without a reservation the day before. Not to mention the numerous attractions which required me to book weeks in advance.

A bit of a dilemma! Listening to the radio the other day was complaint after complaint about domestic tourism businesses being too expensive or not catering to domestic tourists, too busy etc. Sure as hell though, once international borders open, all those whining about these things will bugger off for overseas holidays leaving domestic tourist operators yet again trying to restructure to stay afloat.

blubak
12th Mar 2021, 19:40

Was down the mornington area last sunday & basically had to keep walking around until lucky enough to find an empty table at 1 of more than 30 restaurants we looked at.
There was definitely no shortage of money as eating out is not cheap.
Heard many comments too as to how hard it is to find staff.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
12th Mar 2021, 22:21
Don't restaurants etc still have to social distance as per their COVID-Safe plan? It seems most have a reduced capacity, which only goes to drive up demand, albeit artificially. When I was in Stanthorpe, there was a booking system for a counter-lunch at the pub because the place had to be kept half empty.

C441
13th Mar 2021, 03:13
Don't restaurants etc still have to social distance as per their COVID-Safe plan? It seems most have a reduced capacity, which only goes to drive up demand, albeit artificially. When I was in Stanthorpe, there was a booking system for a counter-lunch at the pub because the place had to be kept half empty.
Not sure about the other states, but it's still 2sqm per person in Qld. as it has been for a while. The most recent changes didn't alter that.

From 1:00am 13th March

Indoor premises: One person per 2m2 (e.g. restaurants,
cafés, pubs, clubs, museums, art galleries, places of worship, convention centres and Parliament House), including standing eating and drinking. Indoor play areas and unattended retail (such as children’s rides) within a premises can open with a COVID Safe Checklist.

blubak
13th Mar 2021, 19:56

Virgin wont be doing long haul flights & the other mob will prove their readiness by telling the govt & whoever else that wants to listen that it will happen on their terms.
You have to remember that the world revolves around them & their money sucking executives & nobody is ever right except them.
The cash will be used alright but not for the employees benefit,no wonder all the sarcastic smiles were on show at the photo shoot this week.

machtuk
13th Mar 2021, 20:38
The stupidity of our useless Govt knows no bounds! They give away money like its free that will do SFA for our economy! After a year + of decimating the nation these fools think a few dollars given to the big players is gunna fix the tourism industry? You couldn't dream this sh1t up if ya tried for a fiction novel!

airdualbleedfault
13th Mar 2021, 23:11
As mentioned above I don't see how halving fares is going to get a lot more people travelling.
Family of 4 MEL - OOL, airfares 400 ish
Accommodation for 5 nights 1500 to 2500
Hire car 6 days 4 to 700
Food and incidentals 1000
Alcohol (because your travelling with 2 kids) 1000
Airfares are, and have been for some time, the cheapest component of a holiday in Oz

Keg
13th Mar 2021, 23:23
Yeah but the headlines themselves about cheap airfares get people thinking about spending the money on the rest of it.

I’m not convinced it’s a wise spend of money either but the confidence it generates in the wider community could actually make it worth it.

ScepticalOptomist
13th Mar 2021, 23:40
As mentioned above I don't see how halving fares is going to get a lot more people travelling.
Family of 4 MEL - OOL, airfares 400 ish
Accommodation for 5 nights 1500 to 2500
Hire car 6 days 4 to 700
Food and incidentals 1000
Alcohol (because your travelling with 2 kids) 1000
Airfares are, and have been for some time, the cheapest component of a holiday in Oz

In marketing / retail it’s the “attention grabber” that brings you in to spend more. This is no different to the $1 coffee offered at the servo - brings you in to buy the $5 ice creams for all the kids...

wondrousbitofrough
14th Mar 2021, 06:03
The way I see it is the last 6 months or so, the airlines have been profiteering from peoples need to travel by air. If you use Per-Asp as an example, QF are currently charging $900+ return. Remember 18mths ago when you could do Lax return for just $200 more?

In my opinion the gov't is sending the money to the wrong place, they'd be better off keeping Jobkeeper going and the money going directly to the employers back pockets

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
14th Mar 2021, 10:56
Not sure about the other states, but it's still 2sqm per person in Qld. as it has been for a while. The most recent changes didn't alter that.

From 1:00am 13th March

Indoor premises: One person per 2m2 (e.g. restaurants,
cafés, pubs, clubs, museums, art galleries, places of worship, convention centres and Parliament House), including standing eating and drinking. Indoor play areas and unattended retail (such as children’s rides) within a premises can open with a COVID Safe Checklist.

Fair enough. My Stanthorpe trip was a while ago. There was no electronic registering then.

Pearly White
15th Mar 2021, 04:50
Just putting this here: Michael Pascoe on Morrison's half-arsed airfares (https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/03/12/michael-pascoe-half-arsed-airfares-stunt/) - Does anyone else get annoyed by these photo-ops?

He comes off looking like the commodore of the local yacht club with three sheets to the wind.

wheels_down
15th Mar 2021, 06:10
The way I see it is the last 6 months or so, the airlines have been profiteering from peoples need to travel by air.
Did you miss the part about them losing $40m a week or are you so far lost in armchair airline executive land?

ruprecht
15th Mar 2021, 09:39
Does anyone want to hazard a guess on how much cash eligible crew will receive once jobkeeper ends?

Pearly White
15th Mar 2021, 11:31
Does anyone want to hazard a guess on how much cash eligible crew will receive once jobkeeper ends?
it’s a guess, but I’m suspicious it will be close to naff-all

blubak
15th Mar 2021, 22:57
Just putting this here: Michael Pascoe on Morrison's half-arsed airfares (https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/03/12/michael-pascoe-half-arsed-airfares-stunt/) - Does anyone else get annoyed by these photo-ops?

He comes off looking like the commodore of the local yacht club with three sheets to the wind.
He is an absolute tosser,an embarrasment to the office of PM.
Like i said before,just another publicity stunt with all the hangers on getting paid for their fake smiles,disgusting.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
16th Mar 2021, 14:20
And your 'alternate' Mr 'B'... And 'Others'...??

The 'other' bloke has ABSOLUTELY NO credibiity....NOPE....NONE at ALL...IMHO......

Cheeerrrsss...

Fujiroll76
18th Mar 2021, 02:08

$500 / week for all stood down, SLWOP, LWOP crew involved in international operations, for the next 7 months

ruprecht
18th Mar 2021, 06:39
$500 / week for all stood down, SLWOP, LWOP crew involved in international operations, for the next 7 months
It’s not a guess if you know the answer... :p

nivsy
21st Mar 2021, 11:55
Certainly a lot of emotion in some of the posts in this forum. However, the crux as I see it is that the Govt is making some efforts to try and re-establish travel confidence and provide a means for people to travel out of state for selected routes that will embrace tourism for those states and tourist industries wishing to try and get themselves back on their feet. Being in WA at the moment I see they are ofcourse not really that I treated in such measures because ..well...it's WA and they offer discount to Broome that is it! However I have taken advantage of 198 dollars return for X3 flights ex PER to ADL, fun can be had, I can contribute toward the SA tourist goal and have as a consequence booked x9 nights hotels, will eat and be merry as bet I and my travel companions can. It's not perhaps going to save QF jobs but surely every little.bit does help and for me on a personal note it's gonna be good to be back in the air again. I miss being a pax even if I still have to pop on a mask and I need to get some One World Status points!

LapSap
21st Mar 2021, 22:55
Certainly a lot of emotion in some of the posts in this forum. However, the crux as I see it is that the Govt is making some efforts to try and re-establish travel confidence and provide a means for people to travel out of state for selected routes that will embrace tourism for those states and tourist industries wishing to try and get themselves back on their feet. Being in WA at the moment I see they are ofcourse not really that I treated in such measures because ..well...it's WA and they offer discount to Broome that is it! However I have taken advantage of 198 dollars return for X3 flights ex PER to ADL, fun can be had, I can contribute toward the SA tourist goal and have as a consequence booked x9 nights hotels, will eat and be merry as bet I and my travel companions can. It's not perhaps going to save QF jobs but surely every little.bit does help and for me on a personal note it's gonna be good to be back in the air again. I miss being a pax even if I still have to pop on a mask and I need to get some One World Status points!

You’re going to Adelaide for FUN???
Geez. I was born there but even I wouldn’t push that line too far.
Life must be boring in good old WA.