PDA

View Full Version : A Spell Check for Browsers

BlueEagle
19th Aug 2002, 23:11
I think you will need to be a bit careful but if you follow the instruction on this link below you should be able to get your Word spell checker to work for you here in PPRuNe as well!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,427991,00.asp

What_does_this_button_do?
20th Aug 2002, 07:10
for longer posts I use MS Word anyway - easier to edit and you can see your whole post on the screen, then CTRL-A, CTRL-C - pop into PPRuNe, click on reply, click on the Your Reply box and CTRL-V.

Easy!

Dagger Dirk
22nd Aug 2002, 14:29
Tried it - but it just opened up Dreamweaver.

BlueEagle
22nd Aug 2002, 23:54
Dick - The link still works for me.

Suggest you type it in to your browser and try again.

Have had problems myself with links that insist on opening up something else, had to ignore link and go manual!

Then again, I'll try a copy and paste job:

TechPC Magazine
Home > Solutions > User To User > User-to-User: Spell-Check Web Text
User-to-User: Spell-Check Web Text

By Neil J. Rubenking

Spell-checkers are built into most e-mail programs, but if you post messages in forums or using Web-based e-mail, spell-checking may not be available. I used to bring up Microsoft Word, paste the text into it, spell-check, and paste the corrected text back into the browser. Then I realized there was an easier way. Save the following as c:\temp\spellcheck.js:

oShell= new
ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
oShell.SendKeys( "^c" ); // copy
oWord= new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
oWord.Visible= true;
oWord.Documents.Add();
oWord.Selection.Paste();
oWord.ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling();
oWord.Selection.WholeStory();
oWord.Selection.Copy();
oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(0);
oWord.Quit();
var nRet= oShell.Popup(
"Apply changes?\nClick OK to replace all selected text.",
"Spell Check Complete",
33 );
if ( nRet == 1 ) {
oShell.SendKeys( "^v" ); // paste
}
Drag the file from Windows Explorer to the Links bar in IE to create a shortcut to the script. Right-click the shortcut, choose Rename, and name it Spell Check. Now when you're entering text in any Web page, you can highlight the text and click the Spell Check button. Word comes up and does a normal, interactive spell check, closing when finished.

Dan Rollins

I corrected one minor slip. The original script simply hid the Word window when done rather than calling Quit(). This resulted in an accumulation of invisible instances of Word. With that minor change, which is implemented in the code shown here, this script is quite useful!

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
Copyright © 2002 Ziff Davis Media Inc. All Rights Reserved.
PC Magazine is a registered trademark of Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc.

Ausatco
23rd Aug 2002, 02:53
Drag the file from Windows Explorer to the Links bar in IE to create a shortcut to the script.

That didn't work for me. Instead, I created a shortcut to the .js file in the same directory as the file and dragged the shortcut to the IE Links bar.

Works fine now - except that any text in the clipboard from other activities gets pasted onto the end of my replies after the spellcheck is complete. I can live with that, and if you empty the clipboard with the clipboard viewer that problem is fixed.

(Edited to tidy it up a little)

AA

Capt Snooze
23rd Aug 2002, 08:29
Interesting................

It opened up Dreamweaver for me too!

Ideas?

Snooze