PDA

View Full Version : SAAF Course 1/73

NoelEvans
10th Mar 2021, 09:09
Where are they now? (https://www.pprune.org/where-they-now/639158-saaf-course-1-73-a.html)

Aegis8
15th Mar 2021, 16:03
Perhaps if you list the names of the course members, people might be able to help. A course number means basically nothing, but names will ring bells, even if it is only a last seen at... answer.

NoelEvans
22nd Jul 2023, 15:11
I heard that Pupes Course 1/73 had a reunion earlier this year and have seen a photo with Martin Louw and Gavin Marsh in it. How many attended? We had our first flights in a Harvard on 14th May 1973. My first solo was (at 1000Z) on 6th July 1973.

Is anyone still flying?

I was "age banned" from airline flying at the end of 2020 (after a vary busy year!) and have been instructing since.

On 14th May 2023 I took a kid up for his first flight! After I helped him fill in his first entry in his new logbook, i gave him a photocopy of the first page in my first logbook with a "thanks for flying with me on my special day" note on it.

At 1000Z on 6th July 2023 I taxied out and did one solo circuit (only in a Cessna 152 though!).

Two weeks after that, on 19th and 20th July 2023, I flew in a Harvard again. It rolled and looped as beautifully as ever and I was very, very pleased to have managed one accurate circuit to a good three-pointer. (A couple of the other landings weren't quite as good though... doing what I was saying to two students the very next day: not holding back enough at the end!!)

It's had ups and downs (excuse the pun!!) but a very, very memorable past half century!! And still flying!

Aegis8
19th Aug 2023, 19:58
@NoelEvans

You will probably have good results from here: SAAF Alumni (http://www.saairforce.co.za/alumni/) Hopefully, I have not looked at it myself yet. Course 1/95 myself and I have not flown for so long now, that I would probably hand over a nut, to get into a cockpit again. ;)

NoelEvans
19th Aug 2023, 22:25
Thanks.

@NoelEvans

... and I have not flown for so long now, that I would probably hand over a nut, to get into a cockpit again. ;)

Just do it!!

Crosswinds were too high to fly today, but looking forward to Monday. Just fly!!