PDA

View Full Version : DJI FPV Drone

Duck Pilot
9th Mar 2021, 11:21
Check DJI’s latest drone out, great machine and reasonably priced and available from the usual retailers in Australia.

However for anyone to legally fly the machine outdoors, they must be operating it under a ReOC that has a EVLOS or BVLOS approval and the pilot requires an IREX. Furthermore, it can accelerate from 0 - 100 in 2 seconds, based on the specs.

Great drone under the command of an experienced and professional drone operator, however it will be potentially hazardous under the control of an amateur! I just hope we don’t have idiots flying these machines through highly populated environments at high speeds and doing collateral damage if they loose control.

Clearly articulates how disconnected our regulators are with regards to the fast paced evolving UAV technologies, and I’m not only referring to our beloved Australian aviation regulator.

Squawk7700
9th Mar 2021, 19:55
Do those acronyms cover the requirement for an observer given that line of sight is not maintained?

compressor stall
9th Mar 2021, 20:50
Clearly articulates how disconnected our regulators are with regards to the fast paced evolving UAV technologies, and I’m not only referring to our beloved Australian aviation regulator.

Interesting comment. Linked off the jb website for that drone is the CASA know your drone page. It has a section on FPV and the fact that you need approval to use it, and outlines quite easily how to apply. and JB has "Please note: Current CASA regulations restrict the operation of drones with FPV headsets in Australia. Full details here (https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/rules/first-person-view)" in big red font linking to the CASA page.

What else do you expect CASA to do?

9th Mar 2021, 21:44
Shades of ugber. "This is what we have and you change the Law to suit our business".

Squawk7700
9th Mar 2021, 22:48
High speed FPV drones / UAV’s have been around for a long time (and a lot cheaper than this one), so this new product doesn’t change anything in reality. The only potential issue is that being “DJI” brand, more people are likely to purchase one and we’ll see a lot more rule breaking going on.

Duck Pilot
10th Mar 2021, 02:18
That’s why I put the post up Squawk.

To get CASA approval to legally use one of these machines isn’t simple nor is it cheap.

I also forgot to mention that I think it can legally be flown outdoors without CASA approval if it’s done through a model aircraft organisation/club.

With regards to what CASA can do? I don’t expect them to be able to do anything considering the rate that the technologies are evolving.

Kagamuga
10th Mar 2021, 07:17
I was informed by a 'drone' salesman at Hardly Normal that DJI drones; upmarket versions; are fitted with an embedded GPS engine and ADSB chip.

Sector3
11th Mar 2021, 07:19
I was informed by a 'drone' salesman at Hardly Normal that DJI drones; upmarket versions; are fitted with an embedded GPS engine and ADSB chip.

https://www.dji.com/au/flysafe/airsense

Squawk7700
11th Mar 2021, 07:27
https://www.dji.com/au/flysafe/airsense

The website says that they are planning to install AirSense in all DJI drones above 250 grams, so not including the popular Mini and Mini II. It will take a few years to filter through the fleet of drones as they are replaced.