PDA

View Full Version : Making of The Dam Busters

spitfirek5054
9th Mar 2021, 08:53
https://youtu.be/dqMwNMb-R9Q

NutLoose
9th Mar 2021, 11:29
Very good, the only fault I could put with the film was the poor effects of the damn blowing up, good for the day, but it looks totally wrong on screen today, but bar that the film was excellent.

paco
9th Mar 2021, 12:06
A lot of that would be down to the actors themselves being fresh out of the military and able to lend some credibility. It was so good they based Star Wars on a lot of it and used much of the script (check it out on Youtube)

Boeing Jet
9th Mar 2021, 15:14
Wonder when they will be getting around to make the remake, and will it be as good as the original?

paco
9th Mar 2021, 17:15
Wasn't the guy who did Lord Of The Rings going to do one?

FlapJackMuncher
9th Mar 2021, 17:58
'National Treasure' Stephen Fry was writing the screenplay apparently.
Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Baldeep Inminj
9th Mar 2021, 18:07
Wasn't the guy who did Lord Of The Rings going to do one?

This is rather controversial to say the least. Peter Jackson did indeed want to remake the movie, but was told that no Hollywood studio would allow him to produce it unless he changed the dog’s name. He said it was part of the story and refused, ergo no remake.

spitfirek5054
9th Mar 2021, 18:13
A lot of that would be down to the actors themselves being fresh out of the military and able to lend some credibility. It was so good they based Star Wars on a lot of it and used much of the script (check it out on Youtube)

https://youtu.be/lNdb03Hw18M

spitfirek5054
9th Mar 2021, 18:15
or this:

https://youtu.be/4OZq-tlJTrU

air pig
9th Mar 2021, 19:41
When they were makong the film the problem came up of actors on an RAF station wandering around in uniform and airmen not knowing of they were 'real officers' or not. I believe Richard Todd the actor playong Guy Gibson came up with the actors would wear brown shoes to identify them. Being a black and white film there was no obvious difference. Richard Todd had a distingushed war career in which he was part of the parachute drop to support the taking of Pegasus brodge.

just to add two pieces of organ music from Liverpool Cathedral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSO-0cU168U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vw9Te17Jm8

MPN11
10th Mar 2021, 09:46
An ATC colleague of mine at Eastern Radar was crew (Nav?) on one of the Lancasters used in the filming. I recall him mentioning low flying over Derwent Water.

Ken Scott
10th Mar 2021, 10:06
I believe they used 3 Lancasters for the filming, flown by crews from some of the RAF’s Lincoln sqns. Once filming was completed all the ac were flown to the scrapyard...

MPN11
10th Mar 2021, 10:22
I believe they used 3 Lancasters for the filming, flown by crews from some of the RAF’s Lincoln sqns. Once filming was completed all the ac were flown to the scrapyard...
Minute 19:45. Four airframes, pilots and their sqns named.

Null Orifice
10th Mar 2021, 10:26
Air pig:
Thanks for the organ music. I thought the 633 Squadron one was excellent but the Dambusters theme sounded a little bit 'fairground'.

Bazzo
10th Mar 2021, 10:32
According to AviationClassics dot Com, 4 were taken out of storage, NX673, NX679, NX782 and RT686 and modified.

meleagertoo
10th Mar 2021, 10:39
I think no remake is probably a good thing. No remake could add anything beyond clever special effects and that's just day-to-day normality these days.
Why try to improve or, Heaven forbid, change such a masterpiece, doubtless with wishy-washy modern self doubt, angst and politically (in)correct interjections that would be incongruously out of their time.
The inevitable infantile spats over the dog would mar the entire execise and introduce a nasty modern controversy that has no place in such a heroic tale.
Let sleeping dogs lie, I say.

Ken Scott
10th Mar 2021, 10:40
I stand corrected, 4 were flown to the scrapyard.

rolling20
10th Mar 2021, 15:15
Please, no remake.
In today's woke PC climate, I would be very concerned about casting.

GlobalNav
10th Mar 2021, 15:25
Please, no remake.
In today's woke PC climate, I would be very concerned about casting.

Right. There was no RAF study to establish minimal environmental impact (so to speak).

teeteringhead
10th Mar 2021, 15:49
I believe Richard Todd the actor playong Guy Gibson came up with the actors would wear brown shoes to identify them. Being a black and white film there was no obvious difference. Richard Todd had a distingushed war career in which he was part of the parachute drop to support the taking of Pegasus bridge. I've heard the same tale, with the addition that Todd - who still held a Reserve Commission - wore black shoes!

The problem was potentially greater with (actor) airmen - the SWO was in danger of a heart attack seeing all the hatless luvvies wandering around his Station, not knowing who was which.

NutLoose
10th Mar 2021, 16:17
I wonder how many actuals adopted brown shoes during the shooting ;)

Richard Todd had a distinguished war career in which he was part of the parachute drop to support the taking of Pegasus bridge.

Indeed, he played his Boss I believe.

NutLoose
10th Mar 2021, 16:25
'National Treasure' Stephen Fry was writing the screenplay apparently.
Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

I believe he owns or owned the rights to the story.

During the filming the Lancs actually are filmed flying at 30ft, because when they watched the first takes shot at 60ft it looked a lot higher, so they reshot some at 30ft that looked on film like 60ft

MATELO
10th Mar 2021, 16:58
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325708/Dambusters-models-Scale-models-built-Watford-used-test-air-raid.html

Herod
10th Mar 2021, 17:07
MPN 11. Minute 19:45. Four airframes, pilots and their sqns named. Thanks for that. I was lucky enough to meet Joe Kmiecik, when I was doing a refresher at Oakington in '73. "Just say "come here chick" quickly" Fascinating man to listen to, and I can well believe him flying at 30'. One of his party-pieces when he was flying Lancasters was a fast fly-by, pull to the vertical, cut two engines on one side, stall-turn into the dead engines and land off it.

Finningley Boy
11th Mar 2021, 11:09
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325708/Dambusters-models-Scale-models-built-Watford-used-test-air-raid.html

Looking at the Eder it looks like the crews assigned here had their work cut out with the bend in the river leaving little room for a safe run at the Dam.

FB

Downwind.Maddl-Land
11th Mar 2021, 14:02
Looking at the Eder it looks like the crews assigned here had their work cut out with the bend in the river leaving little room for a safe run at the Dam.

FB

When doing presentations on CHASTISE, I always sub-title the dams as: Moehne - the famous one, Sorpe - the pretty one and the Eder - the "how the hell did they do that?" one. :ooh:

Ken Scott
11th Mar 2021, 16:27
Having done a Staff Ride to the dams some years ago I too was very impressed with the run-in to the Eder. Looking down from the castle (the IP) to the headland which marked the turning point to aim at the dam it all seemed very tight.

Back home I decided to have a ‘go’ in the sim, flying a 4 engined ac (C130) but with the benefit of auto throttle (to simulate the ENG) & radalt (the Nav). Even doing it by day I wasn’t able to get lined up properly and stable at 50ft, everything happened just too quickly.