PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Recalling Pilots?

Shaman
7th Mar 2021, 21:26
Is it true that Virgin is recalling some laid off pilots?

Paddingtonbear
8th Mar 2021, 08:35
I don't know. Great news if it's true. Seems illogical though, given that UK passenger aviation is grounded indefinitely and other UK carrier(s) are supposedly considering further man-power reductions. Unless VA bosses know something we all don't...

Landflap
8th Mar 2021, 08:57
Of course they know something we all don't. Just like governments throughout the past year.

MCDU2
9th Mar 2021, 14:22
Its not really indefinite if Boris has tentatively said no travel before 17/5. Its now March and if airlines were looking to get staff back into training and current then that will be starting in the not to distant future.

Flying Clog
9th Mar 2021, 15:55
I have it on good authority VS is calling back 787 pilots on gardening leave.

srjumbo747
10th Mar 2021, 16:58
Airbus not 787. Got that from a better authority!

Landflap
11th Mar 2021, 08:12
Friend of a mate's cousin's uncle, yeah yeah , very high authority, says he went from 340 to 350 during the furlough (Trainer) and is now busy as hell. Good news for a change eh ?

Les wait and see
14th Mar 2021, 17:42
Yes, some of the Pilots made redundant in 2020 are being recalled for temporary summer 2021 contracts. Positions available are for A330 only and P2/ right seat only, although they will be employed in previous rank with associated pay. If not previously 330 rated you will be bonded for 12 months. These contracts may be made permanent for 2022 should the business require it (with original seniority, minus time spent out of the business).

Dingleberry Handpump
15th Mar 2021, 05:35
I haven’t heard anything, though I’ve a couple of VS friends (A330) who were let go, so I do hope it’s true.

Bring on the rebound..

Barcli
16th Mar 2021, 14:11
Are we talking about furloughed pilots being asked back or redundant pilots ?

Les wait and see
16th Mar 2021, 19:27
I believe all furloughed pilots have already returned to work. We are talking about pilots who were made redundant and left the business in Oct 20, now being re-employed on new temporary contracts. As Virgin are now ramping up their operation there is a need for a number of right hand seat positions to be filled. If demand for travel continues to increase into the winter season these contracts will be made permanent and these pilots, who are mainly Captains will possibly return to the right seat.

Landflap
18th Mar 2021, 09:24
Les : Captains return to the "right" seat ? Or "left" seat ? Or any appropriate seat on offer ? Bit confused now.

AFA
18th Mar 2021, 10:11
They are returning as captains in terms of pay & benefits but will operate in the RHS for the duration of this contract as that’s where the requirement is.

As & when their contracts are made permanent, whether it’s after summer or some point further along any recovery then they’ll slot back in the seniority list with their original date of joining (minus time in the hold pool).
If they’re senior enough they’ll return as captains, displacing more junior captains if necessary who will then be possibly demoted.

That’s the current plan, we’ll see if they try to move the goal posts in six months.

CABUS
18th Mar 2021, 10:21
Sadly all returning pilots, regardless of rank into the RHS on a fixed term contract. The ‘150’ should be bought back at the latest of next year when triggers in the return to service agreement are met. All returning pilots will slot into their old seniority position and retain their original date of joining, as if they hadn’t left.

’We’😂

booze
18th Mar 2021, 12:18
It's pretty standard Stateside when furloughing: ppl are trickled down in fleet and seat according to seniority then moved back again when things get better. At least things got going. Many of my furloughed VS friends were waiting for this moment. Only if other european operators would've done things according to a similar matrix...

Lordflasheart
27th Apr 2021, 15:18
.Nice article here - https://simpleflying.com/retraining-virgins-747-pilots/

Sounds like Captains are coming back as Captains. Not what previous recent posts suggest. The laid-off VS pilot in my pub's garden this lunchtime mumbled something about it being a bit short on the actualitay.

Gordomac
29th Apr 2021, 09:39
Maybe someone from Virgin can clear it up ? Or are they gagged like so many ?

Lordflasheart
29th Apr 2021, 11:44
Gordo - I'll ask him next pub visit. May be a day or so.

captain g l walker
29th Apr 2021, 13:30
I think you'll find the phrase is Most Gagged

Lordflasheart
29th Apr 2021, 18:44
Gordo .......... Well he seemed quite cheerful and willing to talk, probably because the sun was out and it was my round.

VS 747 pilots (Capt and F/O) were offered back on the A330 RHS only, on 65% pay for tempo summer contracts. A £30k bond for the airbus type rating creeped in somewhere, on an unspecified time basis.

We couldn't work out how you could do an airbus type-rating and become cost-effective during a tempo summer contract unless they then required you to commit to further unspecified (bonded) call-back 'when we need you.'

And the word is that a few 'chosen' applicants 'failed' their re-hire interviews.

A big unanswered question apparently (because they won't say) is whether BIG BALPA or little balpa actually agreed formally, in writing, to these re-arrangements

Gordomac
30th Apr 2021, 08:13
Thanks milud. Sounds like a right old mess but pretty typical of what is going on elsewhere. Mid East in particular.

FredFlintstone
8th May 2021, 03:28
Seasonal temporary contracts, really? BALPA is asleep at the wheel.

FredFlintstone
13th May 2021, 07:29
The more I hear about this “success” the more it is clear that some very dodgy dealing has been done with management by BALPA.

Several guys are being bypassed completely for reasons that have nothing to do with the agreement and BALPA is doing nothing. Trying to find anyone in that place to take responsibility is damn near impossible.

Count von Altibar
13th May 2021, 11:44
When that kind of thing starts it becomes a free for all like happens in the ME, agreements need to be followed to ensure favouritism doesn't start ruling the day. It's hard to keep up with reality during this pandemic, pilots hardly see face to face many of their colleagues with so few flights there's a real disconnect amongst the community.

Paddingtonbear
14th May 2021, 11:16
Unfortunately, another example of Balpa seemingly failing to represent EVERY pilots interest equally.

captain g l walker
14th May 2021, 20:25
Careful Paddington. That sort of language sounds very intimidating. Those capital letters might even be verging on bullying behaviour or of course harassment.

Look, if anyone has a problem with the VACC, whatever it is has been taken out of context. Just keep paying your subs please. And keep it zippy - at least until you realise you're not going to get your job back. Sure, by then you'll be in a nursing home and it will be even easier to dismiss your protests but rest assured the CC and their mates ensure a bright future for er.. themselves as they march on defending the rights of all carefully selected VA pilots who exhibit the special Virgin Sauce™ [isn't that managements job to say all that? --Ed.]

FredFlintstone
16th May 2021, 09:45
I’m not saying the CC guys have looked after themselves, but the NEC does not seem to have had any oversight and is doing nothing to stop agreements being bent. But the NEC seems hell bent on self destruction these days. Seems that is why Rome continues to burn.

FredFlintstone
18th May 2021, 06:51
Having said the above, it really does appear the CC are not motivated to get involved where individuals eligible for recall on accordance with the agreements are being bypassed or failing “the process”.

These are the members that vote to put them in their positions, meanwhile though, they are playing a merry dance with bigger issues that they really have little understanding of, not really what the members want them to be doing, maybe focus on the day job?

Seems they want to install protectionism for their actions, this self serving interest is either ignored or matched at NEC level, all whilst seasonal contracts are offered to those whose face fits. If I were still at Virgin I think I know where I would rather my CC were focussing their efforts.

TheAirMission
21st Nov 2021, 17:34
So, around 230 called back. 2.5% pay rise in Jan, Pension returning to 15% and a bonus for pilots

NAT Zulu
14th Jan 2022, 23:50
Yeah, but better not mention the folks with decades of unblemished service getting "failed" at a return interview for their old jobs back. It ain't all what it seems. BALPA chooses not to help - sloping shoulders as "can't represent redundant pilots" concerning their own wonderful agreement that only affects redundant pilots. Go figure!