PDA

View Full Version : If you’re going to be daft enough...

Bravo73
6th Mar 2021, 10:34
...to blatantly breach the Covid restrictions, it’s probably best not to be filmed doing it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-56278463

JTobias
6th Mar 2021, 11:18
Don’t believe everything that you read or see in the media........
It’s not always quite the way they portray it.............

206Fan
6th Mar 2021, 11:27
That must of been one hell of a beef sandwich.

JTobias
6th Mar 2021, 11:43
How about

Local businessman uses maintenance flight opportunity to help small local take away store promote their business during tough trading times.......

DOUBLE BOGEY
6th Mar 2021, 12:31
It looks Ok to me. They wore a mask and delivered the sarnie through the window I mean honestly. What is the point of being rich and owning a helicopter if the common people are just going to complain when you pop out for lunch!

Fortyodd2
6th Mar 2021, 14:03
.......just because you can, doesn't mean that you should...............

Bell_ringer
6th Mar 2021, 14:05
Blighty has been thoroughly useless at enforcing covid regulations, relying on the honour-system and failing to notice some people don't give a monkey's,
It is unsurprising that the elite have worked out it is far easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Brains seldom seems to come with cash and celebrity, so most don't bother with discretion and are then shocked when someone notices.
If Mr Ramsey can waft around ignoring rules, why not land your helicopter.
The fine is going to be less than the trip anyway.
Money well spent.

DC10RealMan
6th Mar 2021, 14:22
The problem with people who do this kind of thing is that to members of the general public it comes across that all members of the general aviation community are arrogant, wealthy, egocentric bellends. There are many within the GA world who fit this description perfectly some of whom I know however, the vast majority are normal people doing their thing while trying to adhere to the ANO, the Covid restrictions and rules in general. This kind of news story doesn't help when we are trying to restrict CAS or stop our airfields from becoming housing estates and trying to enlist the help of the public and local residents.

OvertHawk
6th Mar 2021, 15:45
This may well have been legitimate use of a necessary flight and perfectly legal

But we must always assume we are being filmed or photographed, because we so often are, and must be mindful of how our actions will be portrayed. (I appreciate that the pilot may not have been aware that the cafe were going to publicise his visit - I would guess that he was not)

If this was a deliberate effort to publicise the cafe then both the pilot and the cafe were naive to the point of stupidity.

The Great British Public are fed up to the back teeth of Covid restrictions and are ready to lash out spectacularly at any perceived injustice or violation (Especially on the part of "the privileged" or by noisy helicopters that they love to complain about at the best of times). To give them ammunition such as this is a spectacular own goal for the industry.

OH

JTobias
6th Mar 2021, 16:12
Unfortunately, in this country, our media tend to always find a negative spin on any story they find. Similarly the general public don’t applaud success they loathe and despise it.

This was a totally innocuous trip that usually wouldn’t merit any kind of media attention and not should it have done.

I know the circumstances here and the pilot wasn’t popping in for a butty by helicopter he was genuinely helping someone out . As a helicopter owner myself I do many trips a year helping people out as does the pilot/owner of this heli. Every now and then we pick up unwanted attention despite our intentions being totally innocent and usually very generous in nature .

I also don’t feel as if we have to go around worrying that someone may misconstrue our generally good intentions because they’re bitter enough to want to find fault in what we’re doing.

The amount of times someone says to me ‘don’t do that because of this, and don’t post that photograph here because of that’ infuriates me . No one should have to live their life worried that they’re a target for unjustified criticism.

The owner and pilot of this heli will be mortified at how his very generous and good intentions have been portrayed particularly as the reports are totally out of context - as usual .

206 jock
6th Mar 2021, 17:06
Joel stop trying to defense the indefensible. When I take my aircraft out for a maintenance flight I take it for a 10 minute flight every 10 days or so, then land and put it away. Not that I couldn't do more but the optics are what matters.

As others have said, the green eyed monster will always look out for rich guys doing what they want. The pilot concerned has put us all in a worse place with the general public who are all fed up.

DogTailRed2
6th Mar 2021, 17:18
My reaction was "publicity stunt".
As to this being illegal my missus hit ther nail on the head when she said "he's not doing anything wrong. Travelling for food which is an essential item is permitted.".
You know, she has a point.
I guess the pilot could always claim he was "testing his eyes".

Fitter2
6th Mar 2021, 17:22
How many hours do you have to do, in what time period, to remain legal on his license?

Bravo73
6th Mar 2021, 17:37
I know the circumstances here and the pilot wasn’t popping in for a butty by helicopter he was genuinely helping someone out .

But the current lockdown restrictions don’t apply to your mate?

JTobias
6th Mar 2021, 17:40
206 Jock - I don’t want an argument but I’ll defend what and who I like. It’s no more your business to criticise than it’s mine to defend - except perhaps I know the pilot and the circumstances where you probably no neither. Quite frankly I know what its like to have been vilified in the press when no one but me and a select few know the exact truth and then have no real opportunity to reply.

The fact that we are even locked down is a national disgrace. The rules are a joke, the response to the pandemic are nationally, and globally, a gross over reaction and the fact that anyone’s civil liberties have been restricted in this way is beyond scandalous. Nevertheless it’s everyone’s choice what they do and if the pilot here wants to fly their aircraft in any manner whatsoever its their business and their business alone.

We’ve become a politically correct, left wing, prissy, woke and snowflake society, so scared of it’s own shadow that the unfounded fear of death has made people frightened to live.................

JTobias
6th Mar 2021, 17:43
Bravo 73 - Whether they do, whether they don’t
Whether they were followed or whether they weren’t
its no one else’s business..........
and Don’t even get me started on wether or not we should even be in lockdown.......

Everyone is so quick to criticise these days
no one on this planet is a saint..................

Bell_ringer
6th Mar 2021, 17:46
The fact that we are even locked down is a national disgrace. The rules are a joke

That isn't up to you.
The world is in the same situation, as inconvenient as that may be for you.
That is the sort of selfish and entitled behaviour that deserves the sanction it gets.
No one with that attitude has any place in a cockpit.

silverelise
6th Mar 2021, 18:02
But the current lockdown restrictions don’t apply to your mate?
Out of interest, what lockdown legislation (not guideline - but actual legislation) do you believe has been broken here?

meleagertoo
6th Mar 2021, 18:12
Has anyone else noticed that bad behaviour in helicopters often seems to be type-specific?
I have two types in mind. (and Robinson isn't one of them)

PAXboy
6th Mar 2021, 18:18
ADS-B is not always your friend.

havick
6th Mar 2021, 18:50
.......just because you can, doesn't mean that you should...............

You always should.

aa777888
6th Mar 2021, 19:20
We’ve become a politically correct, left wing, prissy, woke and snowflake society, so scared of it’s own shadow that the unfounded fear of death has made people frightened to live.................
Bravo!

It boggles the mind that anyone with the zest for life it requires to fly helicopters, particularly those who fly some of the most demanding and dangerous missions, fall into that category. And yet, PPRuNe is completely dominated by such folk.

The situation is 100% opposite in the 'states. This guy would be hailed as a hero, and twice that on the US helicopter social media conclaves. But then we are all ignorant, selfish, unprofessional savages over here, right?

There you go, JT, I'm spreading the pain a little for you! Not so selfish, eh? :ok:

SWBKCB
6th Mar 2021, 19:40
Just so we know what we are talking about, this is the current state of play in England:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home#when-you-can-leave-homeWhen you can leave homeYou must not leave or be outside of your home except where you have a ‘reasonable excuse’. This is the law. The police can take action against you if you leave home without a ‘reasonable excuse’, and issue you with a fine (Fixed Penalty Notice).

You can be given a Fixed Penalty Notice of £200 for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400.

A ‘reasonable excuse’ includes:WorkYou can only leave home for work purposes where it is unreasonable for you to do your job from home. This includes, but is not limited to, people who work within critical national infrastructure, construction or manufacturing that require in-person attendanceVolunteeringYou can also leave home to provide voluntary or charitable services (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-how-to-help-safely--2/coronavirus-how-to-help-safely). You must volunteer from home unless it is not reasonably possible for you to do so.Essential activitiesYou can leave home to buy things at shops or obtain services where necessary. You may also leave your home to do these things on behalf of a disabled or vulnerable person or someone self-isolating.Education and childcareYou can only leave home for education, registered childcare, and supervised activities for children where the child is eligible to attend. Access to education and children’s activities for school-aged pupils is restricted. See further information on education and childcare (https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus/education-and-childcare). You can continue existing arrangements for contact between parents and children where they live apart. If you live in a household with anyone aged under 14, you can also form a childcare bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-childcare-bubble-with-another-household).Meeting others and careYou can leave home:

to visit people in your support bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-support-bubble-with-another-household) ( if you are legally permitted to form one)
to provide informal childcare for children under 14 as part of a childcare bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-childcare-bubble-with-another-household) (for example, to enable parents to work, not to enable social contact between adults)
to provide care for disabled or vulnerable people
to provide emergency assistance
to attend a support group (of up to 15 people)
for respite care where that care is being provided to a vulnerable person or a person with a disability, or is a short break in respect of a looked-after child.

ExerciseYou can continue to exercise alone, with one other person or with your household or support bubble. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.You should maintain social distancing (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing). See the exercising section of this guidance (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home#exercising).Medical reasonsYou can leave home for a medical reason, including to get a COVID-19 test, for medical appointments and for emergencies.MaternityYou can leave home to be with someone who is giving birth or, accessing other maternity services, or to be with a baby receiving neonatal critical care. There is NHS guidance on pregnancy and coronavirus (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/people-at-higher-risk/pregnancy-and-coronavirus/).HarmYou may leave home, to avoid injury or illness or to escape risk of harm (such as domestic abuse).Compassionate visitsYou may also leave home to visit someone who is dying or someone in a care home (if permitted under care home guidance (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/visiting-care-homes-during-coronavirus/update-on-policies-for-visiting-arrangements-in-care-homes)), hospice, or hospital, or to accompany them to a medical appointment.Animal welfare reasonsYou can leave home for animal welfare reasons, such as to attend veterinary services for advice or treatment.Communal worship and life eventsYou can leave home to attend or visit a place of worship for communal worship, to attend a funeral or event related to a death, to visit a burial ground or a remembrance garden, or to attend a wedding ceremony. You should follow the guidance on the safe use of places of worship (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-the-safe-use-of-places-of-worship-during-the-pandemic-from-4-july) and must not mingle with anyone outside of your household or support bubble. Weddings, funerals and religious, belief-based or commemorative events linked to someone’s death are all subject to limits on the numbers that can attend.Further reasonable excusesThere are further reasonable excuses. For example, you may leave home to fulfil legal obligations, or to carry out activities related to buying, selling, letting or renting a residential property, for the purpose of picketing, or where it is reasonably necessary for voting in an election or referendum. See guidance on campaigning during the national lockdown (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/letter-to-parliamentary-parties-panel-on-lockdown-campaigning). This applies to anyone campaigning for electoral events.

This is the position for General Aviation (this is guidance rather than law, but all general aviation is subjec to the national law above)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviationPermitted GA activitiesGA flying is permitted for the purposes of work, where it is not reasonably possible to work or provide those services at home. Social distancing measures (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation#social-distancing) must be in place and observed at all times.

Flying training organisations providing training for professional pilots, for the purposes of work, may continue to do so. Individuals undertaking such activity may continue to attend for these purposes. Social distancing measures must be in place and observed at all times.

Engine health and maintenance check flights can only take place where there is a critical safety requirement to do so, and alternative options are not available. Such flights, where conducted, must be kept to the minimum duration possible and should land at the same airfield from which they departed, except where this is outside the reasonable control of the pilot.

silverelise
7th Mar 2021, 05:25
Just so we know what we are talking about, this is the current state of play in England:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home#when-you-can-leave-home

Just a word of caution to be careful when quoting gov.uk as the source of law - it isn't. The actual legislation for England is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1374/contents
One of the major sources of angst and confusion in this period has been the government issuing legislation - which is legally binding - and then guidelines - which aren't. The guidelines are no more than "ministerial wishes" - they are not statutory and have zero legal status. Nor are they intended (or allowed in law) to be a guide to interpreting the law. This has caused much confusion and gnashing of teeth unnecessarily. For example in that gov.uk page, regarding exercise, many people read " This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area" as law, when in fact the statute contains no limit to how many times a day you can leave your house for exercise, or how far you can travel. This confusion is further compounded by media coverage of Police issuing (incorrectly) FPNs for people travelling some distance for exercise. FPNs which are later rescinded and apologies issued. We are in a dangerous place as a society when the Police are punishing citizens for complying with the law.

It could well be the case that the chap in the helicopter here was complying with the law. It would be good if those claiming to be in the know could share the facts.

DOUBLE BOGEY
7th Mar 2021, 09:19
I am more interested the sandwich. What’s in that makes It so good and will they deliver......to Malta!

7th Mar 2021, 09:46
JTobias The fact that we are even locked down is a national disgrace. No, the fact that people can't see that controlling the spread of the virus is the only way forward is the National disgrace - no snowflakery here just gobsmacked that people can be so selfish so much of the time.

If you know the full story then why not detail it?

Fortyodd2
7th Mar 2021, 10:50
You always should.

....then you should always accept the responsibility and the consequences.

Hot and Hi
7th Mar 2021, 11:08
JTobias No, the fact that people can't see that controlling the spread of the virus is the only way forward is the National disgrace - no snowflakery here just gobsmacked that people can be so selfish so much of the time.

If you know the full story then why not detail it?
And you control the spread of the virus by not flying your aircraft?
Are people - during the current state of lockdown - not allowed to buy a sandwich (on foot, or by car)?

No, this is just plain envy (which however is a force to reckon with).

Bell_ringer
7th Mar 2021, 12:35
And you control the spread of the virus by not flying your aircraft?
Are people - during the current state of lockdown - not allowed to buy a sandwich (on foot, or by car)?

No, this is just plain envy (which however is a force to reckon with).

You control the virus by not mixing or travelling great distances, it is why the UK, and others, have movement restrictions.
One set of rules for everyone, they don't vary based on the thickness of your wallet or your mode of transport.
Buying a sandwich, if it is local, isn't an issue.
It's travelling a distance to get one where the problems start.

Unfortunately some members of the public think they know better, or are smarter, by trying to find loopholes to justify why rules don't apply to them.
Heaven forbid anyone be inconvenienced or have to make sacrifices so we can all emerge from this crisis.
If the same attitudes and weakness of character existed in the 40's, they would all have German accents now. :ugh:

7th Mar 2021, 12:41
BellRinger - :ok: I live in the SW of UK which has the lowest rate of infections and deaths in the country but the majority of us still abide by the restrictions and guidance, despite the City-dwellers who think they have a God-given right to come down here just because of the sea and beaches.

cyclic
7th Mar 2021, 12:48
Outrage is a default setting in the UK. The government and large corporations have set people against each other to have you all just where they want you. Divide and conquer is the new maxim whichever way you look. About time we all just started being responsible for our own actions and not monitoring everyone else's.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x912/3809d7cc_a3fd_4c21_9052_e91e88fa18bd_1_201_a_0083ba4b99b717f 5b7a297d9c6695c62023effc8.jpeg

7th Mar 2021, 12:52
About time we all just started being responsible for our own actions that would be a welcome change

helicrazi
7th Mar 2021, 13:09
If only he was testing his eyes... :}

alfaman
7th Mar 2021, 13:50
Just a word of caution to be careful when quoting gov.uk as the source of law - it isn't. The actual legislation for England is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1374/contents
One of the major sources of angst and confusion in this period has been the government issuing legislation - which is legally binding - and then guidelines - which aren't. The guidelines are no more than "ministerial wishes" - they are not statutory and have zero legal status. Nor are they intended (or allowed in law) to be a guide to interpreting the law. This has caused much confusion and gnashing of teeth unnecessarily. For example in that gov.uk page, regarding exercise, many people read " This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area" as law, when in fact the statute contains no limit to how many times a day you can leave your house for exercise, or how far you can travel. This confusion is further compounded by media coverage of Police issuing (incorrectly) FPNs for people travelling some distance for exercise. FPNs which are later rescinded and apologies issued. We are in a dangerous place as a society when the Police are punishing citizens for complying with the law.

It could well be the case that the chap in the helicopter here was complying with the law. It would be good if those claiming to be in the know could share the facts.
That's exactly the point: unless we know the reason for the flight, we have no way of understanding the legality or otherwise of it, & neither do the press or anyone else. I've been involved in other heated debates where the guidelines & legislation have been markedly different, to the detriment of those complying with the law. The law seems to be written by the legislators & cross checked appropriately - the guidelines often appear to be written by an intern during a coffee break...

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2021, 14:00
As a keen motorcyclist, what I’ve found quite pathetic is “clever” people boasting on social media about the 50 mile scenic ride out they’ve just done on their motorbike to get some “essential” groceries. I’ve recently seen photos some genius has posted with a pack of toilet rolls strapped to his pillion seat, as his excuse.

My own bikes have been locked away since last autumn and they can stay that way until the government guidelines change.

Having said that, I have flown for work purposes (these days I don’t fly for leisure).

Bell_ringer
7th Mar 2021, 14:12
We've all been going at this long enough by now that the stark realities and necessities should have taken hold, even in the most stubborn or challenged of minds.
It really does not matter what is enshrined in law, or written in a guideline.
Our responsibility as a member of society, who hopefully also considers other people, not just themselves, are quite clear.
Some common sense and common courtesy and respect should apply.

It is easy to say general aviation is not a major factor so why should it be subject to regulation.
It is all lowest common denominator thinking.
Parts of the public always take advantage and that ruins it for everyone else.
Complex regulations that treat people differently are impossible to enforce and just create the perception of a lack of fairness.
So we all suffer together, equally.

It would have been easy to get all the misbehaving and flouting under control, all they needed to do was hold a few public floggings of instagram-influencers and B-grade pop goddesses. :E

alfaman
7th Mar 2021, 15:43
We've all been going at this long enough by now that the stark realities and necessities should have taken hold, even in the most stubborn or challenged of minds.
It really does not matter what is enshrined in law, or written in a guideline.
Our responsibility as a member of society, who hopefully also considers other people, not just themselves, are quite clear.
Some common sense and common courtesy and respect should apply.

It is easy to say general aviation is not a major factor so why should it be subject to regulation.
It is all lowest common denominator thinking.
Parts of the public always take advantage and that ruins it for everyone else.
Complex regulations that treat people differently are impossible to enforce and just create the perception of a lack of fairness.
So we all suffer together, equally.

It would have been easy to get all the misbehaving and flouting under control, all they needed to do was hold a few public floggings of instagram-influencers and B-grade pop goddesses. :E
It absolutely does matter - how else would society continue to function?

Bell_ringer
7th Mar 2021, 16:43
It absolutely does matter - how else would society continue to function?

Societies don’t function because of what is written into law, they work because it is understood what is socially acceptable and what part an individual plays.
If we only behave in a way that’s defined by lawmakers, humanity would have long-since ceased to be.

Its the difference between regulations and good airmanship.

This really shouldn’t be difficult to comprehend.

Momoe
7th Mar 2021, 16:48
JTobias,

your stance is quite clear about Covid19 and the national lockdown; however, this is a global pandemic and it's quite obvious now that maintaining pre-existing levels of social interaction would have caused more suffering.

I do understand the levels of risk involved, it's no worse than picking up a burger at a drive through, as a publicity stunt however, it's not so much a shot in the foot but a howitzer.

You've been called out on the reason which you've alluded to as being altruistic but have remained silent; You are indeed at liberty to defend who you like, but you've not provided any mitigating circumstances to make anyone reconsider.

alfaman
7th Mar 2021, 16:58
Societies don’t function because of what is written into law, they work because it is understood what is socially acceptable and what part an individual plays.
If we only behave in a way that’s defined by lawmakers, humanity would have long-since ceased to be.

Its the difference between regulations and good airmanship.

This really shouldn’t be difficult to comprehend.
In normal times, perhaps, but we aren't living in normal times. The current situation has placed controls on normal acceptable behaviours, so understanding precisely what those controls are is important, otherwise chaos & anarchy reign - in other words, people make sh!t up to suit themselves, on both sides of the legislative equation. The evidence of that is plain to see, so it is not about the difference between legislation & airmanship, it's about understanding what breaks the law & what doesn't: is that too much for you to comprehend..?

alicopter
7th Mar 2021, 17:04
That's the French version in the same circumstances... I might have asked the farm shop delivery to be handed the sarny at the end of a broom handle myself but in any case you cannot leave your machine without regular flying, same with your muscle memory sake...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_PfRu6NBlY

Bell_ringer
7th Mar 2021, 17:05
When we’re young we are endowed with the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. What we can or can’t do.
That is instilled by the social structures we find ourselves in, not by a profound understanding of whatever legal system we have been born into.

When people need to justify their behaviour purely by what has been written into law, it’s only because they are trying to justify their behaviour, and usually not because it benefits anyone other than themselves.

The world has been through more challenging times and emerged. There was just a common goal to work together and succeed and less whining.
Then again they didn’t have Facebook then.

alfaman
7th Mar 2021, 17:17
When we’re young we are endowed with the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong. What we can or can’t do.
That is instilled by the social structures we find ourselves in, not by a profound understanding of whatever legal system we have been born into.

When people need to justify their behaviour purely by what has been written into law, it’s only because they are trying to justify their behaviour, and usually not because it benefits anyone other than themselves.

The world has been through more challenging times and emerged. There was just a common goal to work together and succeed and less whining.
Then again they didn’t have Facebook then.
Pompous crap: since when has it been against the law to visit friends & family? Yet currently it is, except under certain circumstances. Understanding what those circumstances are mean not getting a fine for breaking the law.

krypton_john
7th Mar 2021, 18:38
206 Jock - I don’t want an argument but I’ll defend what and who I like. It’s no more your business to criticise than it’s mine to defend - except perhaps I know the pilot and the circumstances where you probably no neither. Quite frankly I know what its like to have been vilified in the press when no one but me and a select few know the exact truth and then have no real opportunity to reply.

The fact that we are even locked down is a national disgrace. The rules are a joke, the response to the pandemic are nationally, and globally, a gross over reaction and the fact that anyone’s civil liberties have been restricted in this way is beyond scandalous. Nevertheless it’s everyone’s choice what they do and if the pilot here wants to fly their aircraft in any manner whatsoever its their business and their business alone.

All of this is of course debatable. However I really believe that this is not debatable: making a newsworthy spectacle of oneself breaking rules is dumb. Even more so when the general population has no alternative but to suffer under those rules. I reckon your mate's judgement was poor. Just IMHO of course.

pax britanica
7th Mar 2021, 18:54
It is sad to see so much selfishness in the Uk nowadays and thereferences to WW2 always somewhat amuse me because our current lockdown isnt dissimilar to restrictions on personal freedoms back then. Just because the enemy isnt visible doesn't mean it isnt at least as dangerous, flouting blackout rules just wasn't done that much law or no law. Views like how can be visiting your family be against the law well it can be quite easily , Berlin in the 60s-80s , WW 2 Vichy France vs occupied France, eastern Europe. Every so often these nasty situations occur and we have to deal with them as a society.

This is a grave and dangerous situation globally and people who think it is all overblown and unnecessary are either willfully ignorant or terminally stupid or voted for Donald Trump. Many Ppruners are of an older age demographic and we should thank our stars that this si the worst our generation has had to deal with -for our parents /grandparents and same age citizens of countries not far away they have had to deal with far worse. We should be sensible and accept that at times the public good is worth more than individual rights. and this helicopter guy is just a bloody idiot who as has been said brought the rotary and GA communities into disrepute.

silverelise
7th Mar 2021, 19:13
making a newsworthy spectacle of oneself breaking rules is dumb.
What rules have been broken here?

krypton_john
7th Mar 2021, 19:55

From: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae

"Leaving homeYou must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person (in which case you should stay 2m apart (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing)). Exercise should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
meet your support bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-support-bubble-with-another-household) or childcare bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-childcare-bubble-with-another-household) where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
attend education or childcare - for those eligible

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay in your local area - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work.

Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."

I would not think collecting a beef sandwich would meet the "necessary" threshold with regards to leaving the local area.

helicrazi
7th Mar 2021, 20:04
From: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae

"Leaving homeYou must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person
go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home
exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person (in which case you should stay 2m apart (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing)). Exercise should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
meet your support bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-support-bubble-with-another-household) or childcare bubble (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-childcare-bubble-with-another-household) where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one
seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
attend education or childcare - for those eligible

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay in your local area - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work.

Staying in your local area means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."

I would not think collecting a beef sandwich would meet the "necessary" threshold with regards to leaving the local area.

And we come back to difference between guidance and law... you posted the guidance....

dickmct
7th Mar 2021, 20:56
Just because "guidance" is not law does that mean that you are not stupid to ignore it?

krypton_john
7th Mar 2021, 21:07
And we come back to difference between guidance and law... you posted the guidance....

I'm not a lawyer so I think a reasonable starting position is to assume that the official government guidance on the law is indeed accurate and in accordance with the law. If you think it is not then I will be interested in seeing your explanation for how this is so. Otherwise I believe you are diverting and obfuscating as the guidance is there to make things clear for non lawyers.

alfaman
7th Mar 2021, 21:07
Just because "guidance" is not law does that mean that you are not stupid to ignore it?
In theory there should not be any significant difference between the two, anyway: unfortunately, that has not always been the case. Add in a dose of media misunderstanding, over simplification & shorthand, mixed with over zealous policing, you get people legitimately going about their business, yet made pariahs - whilst pseudo politicians flout their own rules & get away with it...

helicrazi
7th Mar 2021, 21:21
I'm not a lawyer so I think a reasonable starting position is to assume that the official government guidance on the law is indeed accurate and in accordance with the law. If you think it is not then I will be interested in seeing your explanation for how this is so. Otherwise I believe you are diverting and obfuscating as the guidance is there to make things clear for non lawyers.

You cant be prosecuted on guidance

Morally and sensible is a different arguement

7th Mar 2021, 21:22
It is constantly amazing how people from ordinary joes to the highest office in the land will happily distort the obvious truth to suit their own agendas and justify the actions they know deep down are wrong but were what they felt they should be allowed to do because they are somehow special and above the rules and guidance that the rest of us live by.

When you have consummate liars in public office and those who think that money in the bank gives them extra rights, we will struggle to get things like health and poverty under control.

Blesshuey
7th Mar 2021, 21:52
Wow, there are some really strong, socialistic, ethical opinions being thrown about here. Very emotional.

keep it real boys and girls.....matey in the Hughes shouldn’t have flown to the local farm shop to pick up a sandwich. It’s called “taking the piss”......and one day it can back fire and it usually does. Especially for someone bossing it up in a helichopter like this.

If you want to so called “support” your local business, write a cheque for them to cover their business rates for the last year....Or something along those lines. Not William-wave by flying your flash chopper into their back garden to buy a spam sandwich. Nice Hughes though, can I have a go please mate?

Momoe
8th Mar 2021, 06:58
Helicrazi,

Silverelise asked a question about what rules had been broken, Krypton_john answered it, where did anyone specify law?

Some of the 'rules' are enforceable by law, but it's just semantics, commonsense should have prevailed in this case.

helicrazi
8th Mar 2021, 07:05
Helicrazi,

Silverelise asked a question about what rules had been broken, Krypton_john answered it, where did anyone specify law?

Some of the 'rules' are enforceable by law, but it's just semantics, commonsense should have prevailed in this case.

I think I was trying to distinguish IF a rule had been broken? Guidance isnt a rule, its guidance, law is a rule. If he hasnt broken the law then he hasnt broken a rule. In my view.

For instance, guidance is shop alone in supermarkets, if 2 people go together then they arent breaking the law, they are going against guidance.

What law did this guy break? Can anyone point it out?

I'm not saying this guy is right or wrong, I'm not getting into that. What I'm saying is, the whole thing is a mess.

Parson
8th Mar 2021, 13:31
That must of been one hell of a beef sandwich.

Fixed wing pilots are used to the '100 quid bacon sandwich'. Is the rotary equivalent the '200 quid beef sandwich'?

homonculus
8th Mar 2021, 14:33
Post Brexit, indeed since that annoying Joan of Arc, English law has not applied to people in France. I am very sad about this but not sure why we are discussing the Cabri video...

The UK law is clear: You must have a reasonable excuse for leaving home. The guidance gives examples but is not exhaustive. It is not up to the police to decide, although they seem far too willing to do so, it is up to the Courts. The Courts would consider the defense as well as the guidance. They would clearly consider CAA guidance as the CAA would be considered an expert witness and read that you are indeed allowed short flights for the purpose of maintenance but unless you are a commercial pilot undertaking training or on a commercial flight you cant land away, travel 100s of miles, pick up a beef sandwich etc etc.

Personally, although I think the initial rules were too lax I think we are now far too concerned about mutations. Outdoor activities (and most helicopters count as outside :rolleyes: ) are safe especially if you are on your own. The risk was negligible but sadly the restaurant filmed it and the police are investigating what appears to be an illegal act. Far worse, he has perpetuated the image of the rich businessman who doesnt care about anyone else and flies around in a dangerous noisy machine. Lets close another airfield, lets introduce some more restrictions....

jimf671
8th Mar 2021, 16:00

In Brexit Britain, surely one is only allowed to pick up a takeaway in a British helicopter? :E

uffington sb
9th Mar 2021, 03:48
If this was a publicity stunt, then someone should tell them how to take a video with a smart phone.
Hold the phone horizontally you muppet!!!