PDA

View Full Version : When to start practical flying for ATPL?

tokyostich
5th Mar 2021, 17:34
Hello,

I'm a long time lurker at the forums here but don't like to post much, but on this occasion I'd love your advise. I have done my PPL and did my night VFR too in 2019 but then COVID-19 happened, pilots started to be made redundant left, right and centre, and I decided to slow it all down in terms of getting my ATPL. I am doing the modular course, I'm doing theory remotely in another EASA country and once travel restrictions are lifted I will be hopefully passing all the exams quickly over spring and summer. After this the idea was to do the MEP, IR and CPL all in 12 weeks in Poland or Hungary, quickly do an MCC course and get a job quickly to pay off those debts.

So my question to you is when do you think I should start doing the practical flying? I've been offered a 12 weeks training in November 2021 or February 2022 and onwards. Therefore if I start in November, I should have a frozen ATPL by February and be employable for summer 2022, assuming I am correct that recruitment is usually February to April for the upcoming summer. Do you think this is a good idea and do you think it will work out quickly? Any month that passes and I am not paying off that €25k loan is an advantage, but will a February start of training a frozen ATPL in May be too late?

I am not entirely sure I grasp the whole recruitment timing and not sure when to act, so any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

paco
5th Mar 2021, 17:53
You will find the exams much easier if you can practice what you re learning about.

Despite what most schools will tell you, you can train while you are studying - you just can't take the skill test until you've passed all the exams.

rudestuff
5th Mar 2021, 18:39
You'll understand laser ring gyros and polar stereographic charts a lot better if you practice them.

tokyostich
5th Mar 2021, 20:51
It's not so much avout the theory I am worried, I have an aircradt engineering degree from uni already and the theory has been going well to be fair.

Is it really true that unless I have a license by say March next year (the summer recruitment) it will be significantly harder to find a job? Would it have a huge impact if I get my license in May 2022 instead of February? Do you even think there will be jobs for non-type rated 200 hours pilots in 2022?

Capt Pit Bull
6th Mar 2021, 06:09
If I were in your shoes I would push on with the theory except not take one exam (whichever you think is easiest: maybe comms). Then sit on your hands until either a recovery is seen or for 16 months after your first exam. Then review the market and your situation.

paco
6th Mar 2021, 06:56
All that stuff about jobs is future pain - you won't get any job without a licence, so concentrate on that first. In this industry you have to think a year or so (maybe 2) ahead, and even then you can be taken by surprise. I have seen the job market turn around both ways inside a week. What Capt Pit Bull says is sound advice, although I wouldn't underestimate comms :). Just bear in mind that some authorities apply the recommended 18 months for studying as a criteria as well. The UK authorities never bothered with it but the Germans (and possibly Austro in my experience) do. So you can't wait too long to take the last exam.