PDA

View Full Version : Proposed law that could ban anyone from leaving Hong Kong

jetjockey696
4th Mar 2021, 18:06
Here something to chew on...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/13/hong-kong-alarm-over-proposed-law-that-could-ban-anyone-from-leaving

Flying Clog
5th Mar 2021, 18:09
Just keep your trap shut. It's not that difficult.

anxiao
5th Mar 2021, 22:57
In other news, to leave the United Kingdom now you need to have a very good reason for your travel. Work, volunteering, education, medical or compassionate grounds or a wedding.The decision to be left to the individual immigration officer.

The fingers of restraint are reaching for ordinary citizens. The restrictions to the civil liberties expected by normal people in most societies is appalling. This will end in anarchy.

Oasis
5th Mar 2021, 23:06
you can always try and swim across the channel

parabellum
6th Mar 2021, 12:13
No need to swim Oasis, literally hundreds of abandoned rubber boats in the Dover area, take your pick! ;)

quadspeed
6th Mar 2021, 12:32
The fingers of restraint are reaching for ordinary citizens. The restrictions to the civil liberties expected by normal people in most societies is appalling. This will end in anarchy.

Yes, 'they' are coming to get you dear paranoid keyboard warrior. Most nations - through their elected leadership - have implemented restrictions to contain the spread of this disease. I don't agree that such restrictions are a threat to your civil liberties, as your civil liberties don't extend to harming, infecting and potentially killing your fellow citizens. And even so, whatever restrictions those fingers of restraint have imposed on you can be challenged through the courts and overturned through elections.

With the exception of the state being discussed in this thread. There is no legal recourse, there are no political elections, and justice is defined by the party alone. So in contrast to liberals denying your weekly gang bang at Costco without face masks, what's going on here is a real threat.

anxiao
6th Mar 2021, 12:57
quadspeed I think we are on the same page here. It was the changing state of the restrictions of Hong Kong I was trying to put into the world perspective.

I am deeply concerned about the state of the freedoms of Hong Kong, the 47 political activists who are imprisoned for an act done that was not illegal at that time, for the lack of legal recourse in Hong Kong and the control of the Hong Kong government not being in the hands of Hong Kong people.

I feel that Beijing in 1995 as an expatriate worker was much less repressive than Hong Kong is in 2021. Now it is not enough to "keep your trap shut" as our most eloquent contributor above has put it. Anyone in the population can be suspected of a form of disloyalty to the president, if they are reported as being so. The law is now only interpreted by Beijing, not by the courts of Hong Kong. To me that is the most serious concern.

quadspeed
6th Mar 2021, 12:59
We're definitely on the same page. Cheers.

mngmt mole
6th Mar 2021, 14:27
As most of you seem to have concluded, HK as we have always known it is dead. I fear that the changes will now come thick and fast and even our rather shallow expat lifestyles will become more and more untenable, as the locals begin to fear their every word and association. Taking as a whole the significant reduction in incomes and lifestyle (for most of us) and the new oppression that is becoming more evident every day, HK cannot really be considered a "home" or CX a "career" any longer. A sad end to what has been a golden period of living and working in one of the worlds great cities. Beijing will surely bury that as they have millions of their own citizens over the decades...

Flying Clog
6th Mar 2021, 15:02
Correct mngmt mole.

wiltshireman
6th Mar 2021, 17:04
This is all so sad. Glad I visited 18 months ago. Can't see my self ever, ever returning.

highflyer40
8th Mar 2021, 19:32
In other news, to leave the United Kingdom now you need to have a very good reason for your travel. Work, volunteering, education, medical or compassionate grounds or a wedding.The decision to be left to the individual immigration officer.

Oh give me a break! My sister in law just flew off to the canaries for 3 weeks and brought her laptop with her. She is going to work from home..err hotel so it is acceptable travel under the regulations. The regulations and enforcement aren’t fit for purpose.