PDA

View Full Version : Birdsville races. No Underwing Camping

runway16
3rd Mar 2021, 09:23
The North West Star newspaper has reported that the Diamantina Council is to ban underwing camping at the 2021 Birdsville Races. This decision is apparently based on safety and security.

I have been to more than one or two race meets and have never had any issue with safety or security camping under my aircraft at the airport.

The fact that there is a wire fence and one has to have both an ASIC card and a local airport race card to get to or off the airport and ones aircraft prevents just anyone getting to enter the airport and steal from my tent, beside any valuables I lock in my aircraft.

The council has not said what they propose that visiting aviators should do. Are they to be transported to the riverside where the prospect of safety and gear security will be open to anyone?

Who and how are aviators to be transported to and from town during the event? Any hour of the day or night? How many trips will it take to get all your gear from the airport to the river camping? There has been no hard top accomm in town. That was booked out 2-3 years ago.

Any toilets or showers down there?

I think that this idea of no underwing camping is poorly thought out. If it is to be brought in it will discourage a lot of flyers from going to the event.

For anyone planning to go to the 2021 Birdsville races email the Diamantina Council and express your views.

I think that if this rule goes ahead there will be a lot less flyers at the 2021 Birdsville races.

gassed budgie
3rd Mar 2021, 13:57
I don’t need or require some fool local councillor or bureaucrat to keep me safe, look after my aircraft or guard my valuables. That’s my job, not theirs. Security? It’s Birdsville FFS!

descol
3rd Mar 2021, 14:02
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1800x1166/wdl_7302ceffbaebbc93681c7d22c07f130db35008ba.jpg
under wing sleeping - WDL Ian Hodgson at Birdsville 1977

Uplinker
3rd Mar 2021, 16:30
Strewth. Presumably the local health and safety folk have just discovered that some aircraft have fuel vents on or under the wings.

Two campers are talking at night. One says to the other, "As you look up and see all the billions of stars, do you ever wonder about the enormity of the universe; the unimaginable size and distances; the massive thermonuclear stars burning for millions of years; and the true majesty of it all?"

The other says "No, I wonder who stole our bloody tent while we were asleep"!

aroa
3rd Mar 2021, 21:20
Does the Council smell money here? The cost of everyone off the airfield camping elsewhere won’t be free or even cheap.
Sounds like a brain fart to me. How to bugger up an iconic outback event , disorganised by people who think they’re business managers or something special.
All councils these days seem to be forgetting their reason for their existence, which was to look after citizens in a democratic manner...instead of the dictatorial crap we get now.

what other venues worth a visit. Mt Isa rodeo. Races other than BDV?

Like to gassed budgie. You got it.

LeadSled
4th Mar 2021, 06:29
Pilots angry over Birsdville ban on sleeping under the winghttps://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/eac180e4d76ec078e619503a173d39e9?width=650 (https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/eac180e4d76ec078e619503a173d39e9)Birdsville Airport has previously become a camping ground for pilots during the town’s annual race week, but not in 2021. Picture: Bruce Long

ROBYN IRONSIDE (https://www.theaustralian.com.au/author/Robyn+Ironside)
AVIATION WRITER
@ironsider (https://twitter.com/ironsider)
https://i1.wp.com/pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/v3/authors/?byline=Robyn%2520Ironside&esi=true&t_product=the-australian&t_template=s3/austemp-article_common/broadsheet/components/article-author/widget-v3&td_bio=false&td_byline=Robyn%2520Ironside&td_bylinetitle=Aviation%2520Writer&td_location=none
10:36AM MARCH 2, 2021

The decades-long tradition of *pilots camping under the wing of their aircraft at the Birdsville Races has been banned by the council in a move declared “un-Australian” by veteran aviator Dick Smith.

The entrepreneur is leading calls to have the Diamantina Shire Council’s ban overturned, before the race meeting in September. Council imposed the ban because of the cost involved in operating a “special events zone” at the Birdsville airstrip.
https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d33b78bf249932c1fd450e3443154cfe?width=650 (https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d33b78bf249932c1fd450e3443154cfe)Owen Ruschen and Ian Dewick, camping next to their plane, flew in from Wagga.Diamantina chief executive Leon Love said under the airstrip’s tier-three security status, council would have to provide 24-7 *security and install fenced *walkways. “Those type of requirements have always been there but council is more risk averse and its insurers have become more risk averse,” he said. “Higher standards equals higher cost, and council also provides amenities, collects rubbish, empties portaloos, and all of those things combined cost us more than the landing fees we collect during that week.”

He said the council took the view the operation of the airstrip should be cost neutral in race week, and eliminating the special events zone achieved that.

“Maintaining a multimillion-dollar airport on a shoestring budget, something’s got to give,” he said.

Mr Smith said the ban *appeared to be an “over-reaction” and he was hopeful it could be reversed.

He said there was nothing more Australian than flying to the outback town and sleeping under the wing.

“First climbing Ayers Rock (Uluru) was banned and now this. You wonder what’s next?” he said.

“Now pilots going to Birdsville will have to carry all their stuff to another camping area where it’s completely packed with people who know nothing about aviation.”

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association executive director Ben Morgan said they were hopeful of finding a solution to the problem facing council and would work together if possible.

A petition launched by AOPA opposing the ban had attracted more than 2000 signatures in 48-hours, and Mr Morgan said the issue highlighted a bigger problem for general aviation.

“It needs to be stressed, this is a critical moment in time. We need to implement a solution that will enable events at remote airstrips,” Mr Morgan said.

Already a “boycott Birdsville” hashtag was circulating pilot groups on social media, to the concern of local business operators.

Birdsville Hotel owner and pilot Talia Ellis, said the races were critically important to the whole region this year after being cancelled in 2020 due to COVID.

“When people fly out to Birdsville, most do so because they can camp out under their wing,” Ms Ellis said.

“There’s lots of little towns that benefit with them stopping and refuelling, staying over night. It won’t only be Birdsville and the races that are impacted if this ban goes ahead.”

She said there had been no safety breaches in the past to warrant such action and she was hopeful they could find a way to make it happen.

“There is another way to skin a cat so to speak, so we think they can resolve the issues in a financially viable way,” said Ms Ellis.

“There’s a lot of passionate people in the aviation industry who would be keen to help in any way they can.”

lucille
4th Mar 2021, 06:36
Not so sure it’s the council per se.
I suspect the master puppeteer is an RPT airline that’s banging on about security to the hapless Diamantina Council in order to tick some boxes in yet another of their tin pot audits devised by their Safety&Security department.

Those dodgy Aviation degrees and their proud holders have spelled the death of common sense and fun in aviation.

mikemmb
4th Mar 2021, 08:26
Not so sure it’s the council per se.
I suspect the master puppeteer is an RPT airline that’s banging on about security to the hapless Diamantina Council in order to tick some boxes in yet another of their tin pot audits devised by their Safety&Security department.

Those dodgy Aviation degrees and their proud holders have spelled the death of common sense and fun in aviation.

.....well they have taken the common sense and fun out of everything else!

Capt Fathom
4th Mar 2021, 09:04
Just cancel the whole thing!

I remember the Archerfield Airshow got cancelled some years back because the authorities deemed everyone needed an ASIC to be on the field!

We really do have some dimwits trying to run these things!

machtuk
4th Mar 2021, 09:45
Doesn't surprise me, it is Australia after all, a nation full of corruption, a third world nation with a first world facade!

Roy Nolland
4th Mar 2021, 11:59
Lucille has hit the nail fair and square on the head.
A certain RPT operator has an out of control security puke who went around threatening airports that they would discontinue RPT services if the airport operator went ahead with security de-regulation under the Department of Home Affairs advice. For those that fought back, that airline was soon put in its place.
And coincidentally, that same airline has Birdsville on its route network.

4th Mar 2021, 12:17
Archerfield Airshow
I was on the AF Chamber of Commerce and I could not get on the airfield to go to my office.

gerry111
4th Mar 2021, 12:33
Welcome back, LeadSled. You've been missed!

Roy Nolland
4th Mar 2021, 13:10
I have just been able to check and Birdsville was earmarked to be removed from the list of security controlled airports this would have happened in the final months of last year. So if they are still enforcing ASIC display requirements I'd suggest my hypothesis above is correct.

On Track
5th Mar 2021, 00:53
What a load of nanny state bull****, regardless of who thought up the idea.

Yes there are alternative outback events to Birdsville. Some years ago we went to the Bedourie camel races and were very well looked after by the pilot-friendly publican who even took us on a local sightseeing trip.

Icarus2001
5th Mar 2021, 04:59
Their heart is truly in the country.

descol
5th Mar 2021, 08:29
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/768x1168/bv1_b8d4ccfc3257752842dd0c8a0cc408c48625d747.jpg
As we are talking about Birdsville - here's an image from the 70s

lucille
5th Mar 2021, 19:25
descol. Thanks for posting the photo. Brings back many memories of the good old years when flying was simpler and the biggest worry was getting through on HF to cancel SAR.

ps.. you don’t happen to have any other aerial shots going in any northwards direction from BDV up to the gulf and westwards to the WA border do you? In a pre smart phone era, no one had cameras and in any case we couldn’t afford the film and processing. Maybe, not so halcyon days after all. 😜

Piston_Broke
5th Mar 2021, 22:42
Perhaps my memory is failing and I haven't been to the event for many years, but I seem to recall this issue arose back then and a ban of some sort put on re camping at aircraft due to some idiots starting camp fires near their aircraft and sparks flying around and making others nervous.

havick
5th Mar 2021, 22:49
Perhaps my memory is failing and I haven't been to the event for many years, but I seem to recall this issue arose back then and a ban of some sort put on re camping at aircraft due to some idiots starting camp fires near their aircraft and sparks flying around and making others nervous.

Wasn’t there a fireworks incident at one point?

Hew Jampton
5th Mar 2021, 23:02
"the biggest worry was getting through on HF to cancel SAR." In 1984 I couldn't get through on HF after landing, so ATC (can't remember where they were) guessed where we had gone and phoned the pub to check we had landed OK and wanted to cancel SAR. I've never been able to taxy up to the front of a pub anywhere else!

Goat Whisperer
5th Mar 2021, 23:13
I've never been able to taxy up to the front of a pub anywhere else!

Ever heard of Milparinka?

buckshot1777
6th Mar 2021, 00:33
I remember the day after the races usually some very tired and sick looking individuals calling into Mildura for fuel before proceeding places west and south.

The term "eyes like p1ss holes in snow" comes to mind.

megan
6th Mar 2021, 03:32
Ever heard of MilparinkaAnd also the Creek in days past.

descol
6th Mar 2021, 08:31
Lucille - I have sent you an email
rgds
descol

DHC4
6th Mar 2021, 09:57
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x1280/33aa8128_7c23_4c3a_a270_fa6c64be81e2_92ea8acace2edf4854d627c 73ef512b3bc7c859e.jpeg
What a great weekend that was, never seen so many 4WD’s in my life. We slept out the back of the police station, they even let us use the showers, fecking freezing in the morning.

SOPS
6th Mar 2021, 10:21
descol. Thanks for posting the photo. Brings back many memories of the good old years when flying was simpler and the biggest worry was getting through on HF to cancel SAR.

ps.. you don’t happen to have any other aerial shots going in any northwards direction from BDV up to the gulf and westwards to the WA border do you? In a pre smart phone era, no one had cameras and in any case we couldn’t afford the film and processing. Maybe, not so halcyon days after all. 😜

My big memory .. from about a 100 years ago was trying to cancel SAR on HF somewhere in the NT. ( so long ago,I can’t remember where I was.) However I do remember I cancelled SAR through a station in Alaska on ( I think) 6655, and he assured me he would contact Sydney to let them know I was on the ground!!!

machtuk
6th Mar 2021, 11:32
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x1280/33aa8128_7c23_4c3a_a270_fa6c64be81e2_92ea8acace2edf4854d627c 73ef512b3bc7c859e.jpeg
What a great weekend that was, never seen so many 4WD’s in my life. We slept out the back of the police station, they even let us use the showers, fecking freezing in the morning.

now that brings back memories -) anyone recall a guy baring his ass on the roof of the pub? Around '84 must drag out some old pix, buried somewhere -)

lucille
6th Mar 2021, 11:34
Caribou,

Judging by
a) the long shadows
b) the lack of empty cans

I’d say that photo was taken shortly after dawn on Day One.

I have recollections of the street outside the pub being ankle to knee deep in empty cans.

Checkboard
6th Mar 2021, 11:37
I've never been able to taxy up to the front of a pub anywhere else!

https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/393848-aussie-pubs-airstrips.html

Car RAMROD
6th Mar 2021, 11:43
I must ask, without admittedly doing any research..

is the ban cited purely on “underwing camping”?

may I be so bold as to suggest don’t camp under the wing, solved problem?

morno
6th Mar 2021, 12:48
Caribou,

Judging by
a) the long shadows
b) the lack of empty cans

I’d say that photo was taken shortly after dawn on Day One.

I have recollections of the street outside the pub being ankle to knee deep in empty cans.

Wrong side, that looks like late afternoon.

While the Birdsville Races are still a huge attraction, they’re a very different event to even 15 years ago. Fun runs, cocktail parties, fashions of the field (which I can lay claim to winning in a category one year), are just some of the happenings during the race weekend. It’s modernising while still keeping some of the old Birdsville Races there.

A top weekend though, and the numbers of people driving in far far outweighs the number flying in. Heck they’re just about to finish sealing the road from Boulia, and I reckon the road from Windorah won’t be too far behind.

First_Principal
6th Mar 2021, 19:47
... a guy baring his ass on the roof of the pub? Around '84 must drag out some old pix, buried somewhere -)

Uh-oh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxUfg3uCBbg

McLimit
6th Mar 2021, 20:50
The year I was there a dude did a 'Todd Carney' on the main drag :confused:

I even camped under the wing, jesus, I dunno how I survived my youth, thank god almighty for state premiers keeping us safe.

runway16
7th Mar 2021, 23:13
The council talks of the cost of looking after the airport and the cost of providing potties, showers security etc.

No where have I seen any mention from Council of the fee that each airborne aircrew and pax pays on arrival to cover those items

Was it Platinium from Victoria the firm that looked after those items with the fee paid by pilots and passengers on arrival in 2019?

Maybe the council needs to be a bit more honest with its figures.

Costs? Sure there may be costs associated with cleaning up the empty cans outside the pub and the security fences put up in 2019 next to the pub but those costs should not be dumped on the airborne arrivals people.

If there is a figure to be paid by the arriving aircrew and passengers then there should be a figure paid out by each and every road traveller that goes to Birdsville for the races.

In regard to safety and security I would feel a lot safer and have better security tenting next to my aircraft than I would feel in a tent city or down by the river. In 2019 we had to got through a security gate next to the terminal and that would prevent tramps beggars and thieves over tent city in town.

Roy Nolland
9th Mar 2021, 11:02
I don't know for sure what happened, although I have my suspicions, but the list of airports that will be regulated under the new regime jumped from 28 to 57 late last year. Birdsville originally off now included. A lot of other airports also served by the same operator were also off the list and now are back on.

What point am I trying to make? Well you could have all been airside and not had a single ASIC amongst you. Someone, not the department, didn't like that idea.

Uplinker
9th Mar 2021, 12:41
Never been to the event, but looking at that picture showing loads of discarded beer cans just chucked on the ground when there is a bin a few feet away.........Maybe the organisers are trying to improve the standards of behaviour? :)

kookaburra
28th Mar 2021, 23:40
Never been to the event, but looking at that picture showing loads of discarded beer cans just chucked on the ground when there is a bin a few feet away.........Maybe the organisers are trying to improve the standards of behaviour? :)

Feel free to correct me...

My understanding is that the cans in the gutter outside the pub has always been part of the race weekend with the aluminium collected for funds to go to the local school or RFDS?

Always amazing how clean it was the next morning.

Whispering T-Jet
29th Mar 2021, 08:18
As usual the Yanks do GA without dramas. Camping at $27 for a night fee under your wing at Oshkosh, literally thousands of under wing campers along with active duty nuclear bombers and airliners - all with just common sense security. Free shuttle to the local shops etc etc.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/650x431/image_axd_picture_2017_2f8_2fmooney_camping1_b5d425b52587ef3 1e5b0fb381ca9e4643888b1a2.jpg

Checklist Charlie
29th Mar 2021, 22:51
Rumour has it that any CASA personnel that visit Oshkosh require treatment for PTSD for many years after such a learning shock to their system.
I heard an FOI never recovered from the experience of seeing so much safe flying in one place at one time.

CC

Newforest2
30th Mar 2021, 06:58
And don't forget OSH is trash and litter free!

Capt Fathom
30th Mar 2021, 09:34
And don't forget OSH is trash and litter free!

I’m sure there is trash!

machtuk
30th Mar 2021, 10:42
The way a certain corrupt premier is going QLD will be closed, any activities such as BDV will be moot!

Checkboard
30th Mar 2021, 15:15
How much beer drinking happens at Oshkosh, compared to Bridsville?

vee1-rotate
30th Mar 2021, 18:19
How much beer drinking happens at Oshkosh, compared to Bridsville?

A lot. You'd be surprised.

Ixixly
31st Mar 2021, 07:54
A lot. You'd be surprised.

Yeah, but it's that piss-weak yank stuff so it barely counts :}

Squawk7700
31st Mar 2021, 08:49
Yeah, but it's that piss-weak yank stuff so it barely counts :}

A lot of Aussies have been caught out by thinking that Budd LIGHT is a light beer, when it’s actually light on calories.

Lead Balloon
31st Mar 2021, 09:17
It's still sex in a canoe.

runway16
27th Apr 2021, 11:18
Anyone heard any update of the council not allowing under wing camping at BDV this year ?

outnabout
7th May 2021, 00:31
The April minuteds (unconfirmed) of the Diamantina Council show that Birdsville Hotel manager attended the meeting (by phone) and raised the matter.

Attendance: 11:20am Ben Fullagar, Birdsville Hotel Manager, entered the meeting (via telephone) to address Council on the following issues: 
Hotel licenced area extension into Burt street during Big Red Bash to assist us with our Covid Capacity restrictions and ensuring we can legally have a capacity that provides a service to the patrons visiting town. 
Hotel Licenced area extension into Burt street during Birdsville Races to assist us with our Covid Capacity restrictions and ensuring we can legally have a capacity that provides a service to the patrons visiting town. 
Birdsville races airside underwing camping. Solution based discussion to work out a way forward with this collectively as a group.

12:22pm Ben Fullagar, Birdsville Hotel Manager, left the meeting.

I can't see where the ban on underwing camping has been revoked.

runway16
7th May 2021, 06:27
It strikes me as discrimination that even if there is no underwing camping allowed there will still be a fee levied on aircraft and the people on board visiting the races by air.

I have to ask the question is the council going to set up road blocks and charge all motoring visitors a fee to enter Birdsville for the race weekend?

If there is concern by the council about security and rubbish on the airport as the reason for no underwing camping but still a fee for airborne visitors, then there should be a fee charged and paid for by all the motoring visitors descending on Birdsville for that weekend.

History would record from past Birdsville race gatherings that the influx of motoring visitors would leave more rubbish and be a greater security concern than any airborne visitors. .

There is no valid reason to have one rule for one and a different rule for others.

Desert Flower
7th May 2021, 14:16
My big memory .. from about a 100 years ago was trying to cancel SAR on HF somewhere in the NT. ( so long ago,I can’t remember where I was.) However I do remember I cancelled SAR through a station in Alaska on ( I think) 6655, and he assured me he would contact Sydney to let them know I was on the ground!!!

6565 actually.

DF.

Flying Ted
24th Jul 2021, 05:26
Given no posts here since 8 May I assume there is no more news and the ban stays. I'm curious who many people here have cancelled their plans to go because of the ban? (Assuming that it goes ahead and the borders are open.)

runway16
24th Jul 2021, 10:35
There are two issues here.

One is that there has been no change of mind re underwing camping. I am sure that at least one aircraft will fly in and the crew start to set up camp under the wing only to find a van with a flashing light telling them to move on.

The second is that the Birdsville Races have gone from a friendly hail-fellow-well-met event to a slick commercialised event driven by one word, MONEY. .
There was a sale of some 4,000 tickets on May 26 at 9 am. Apparently the first 1,000 were sold in 15 minutes. The rest soon after.

There was a wait list to get onto but here we are at 24 July and no word or advice that extra tickets are to be sold. If they are it may well be too late to buy some and make arrangements to get to the event. There is a Rent-a-Tent city but again at extra cost and that is if any tents are still available.

Queensland and NSW and Vic and SA all have restrictions in place and sure they may be lifted but when? Given that lockdowns happen overnight it could well be that between now and the races there will be lockdowns lifted and even applied again. I would not want to risk going to the races only to find that while I was enroute a lockdown had been brought in that said I could not get back home short of an expensive quarantine stay at my expense.

Given that Australians at large could not go overseas in 2020 and again in 2021 travel companies hooked on to the Birdsville Races as an event to take tourists to, of course at a fee. I for one was not aware of the ticket sales coming up and missed out.

Having a pre-bought ticket is the only way to get into the races this year. There will be a few punters who will roll up in ignorance of this and front up at the gate waving folding money only to be told 'Sorry, Pre-paid tickets only'. When I last looked there were some eight travel companies involved saying travel with us to get to and into the event. Needless to say those travel companies have bulk tickets bought for their 'customers'. Disappointing for the station people from 1000 km around who do not sit on a PC all day to buy tickets but would look at the race being the one event of the year that they enjoyed going to.
There are other nearby race events before and after the Birdsville event. Those that missed out on Birdsville race tickets should save their money and go to those other nearby races. Accommodation will be the big issue with those other places.

I have been to the races before and looked at it as being a fun event to go to and enjoy the companionship of fellow Australians visiting the races and to have a good time. It was not just the races but being in the atmosphere of attending the event. It would appear that has gone from this year and probably forever as the travel companies now have their hooks into it.

Commercialisation and Money. Two things that have destroyed the Birdsville races, at least for Joe Citizen.

Do not believe that the Covid 19 virus is the sole reason to selling limited tickets on-line. Nor the aspect of no underwing camping. Money is the driving factor.

Allan L
25th Jul 2021, 00:35

Do not believe that the Covid 19 virus is the sole reason to selling limited tickets on-line........

Why isn't it?

I have just recently 'purchased' free on-line tickets for a free event - why? A very effective way of ensuring that unmanageable numbers don't turn up I would guess!

machtuk
25th Jul 2021, 11:36
There are two issues here.

One is that there has been no change of mind re underwing camping. I am sure that at least one aircraft will fly in and the crew start to set up camp under the wing only to find a van with a flashing light telling them to move on.

The second is that the Birdsville Races have gone from a friendly hail-fellow-well-met event to a slick commercialised event driven by one word, MONEY. .
There was a sale of some 4,000 tickets on May 26 at 9 am. Apparently the first 1,000 were sold in 15 minutes. The rest soon after.

There was a wait list to get onto but here we are at 24 July and no word or advice that extra tickets are to be sold. If they are it may well be too late to buy some and make arrangements to get to the event. There is a Rent-a-Tent city but again at extra cost and that is if any tents are still available.

Queensland and NSW and Vic and SA all have restrictions in place and sure they may be lifted but when? Given that lockdowns happen overnight it could well be that between now and the races there will be lockdowns lifted and even applied again. I would not want to risk going to the races only to find that while I was enroute a lockdown had been brought in that said I could not get back home short of an expensive quarantine stay at my expense.

Given that Australians at large could not go overseas in 2020 and again in 2021 travel companies hooked on to the Birdsville Races as an event to take tourists to, of course at a fee. I for one was not aware of the ticket sales coming up and missed out.

Having a pre-bought ticket is the only way to get into the races this year. There will be a few punters who will roll up in ignorance of this and front up at the gate waving folding money only to be told 'Sorry, Pre-paid tickets only'. When I last looked there were some eight travel companies involved saying travel with us to get to and into the event. Needless to say those travel companies have bulk tickets bought for their 'customers'. Disappointing for the station people from 1000 km around who do not sit on a PC all day to buy tickets but would look at the race being the one event of the year that they enjoyed going to.
There are other nearby race events before and after the Birdsville event. Those that missed out on Birdsville race tickets should save their money and go to those other nearby races. Accommodation will be the big issue with those other places.

I have been to the races before and looked at it as being a fun event to go to and enjoy the companionship of fellow Australians visiting the races and to have a good time. It was not just the races but being in the atmosphere of attending the event. It would appear that has gone from this year and probably forever as the travel companies now have their hooks into it.

Commercialisation and Money. Two things that have destroyed the Birdsville races, at least for Joe Citizen.

Do not believe that the Covid 19 virus is the sole reason to selling limited tickets on-line. Nor the aspect of no underwing camping. Money is the driving factor.

RWY16 well said, couldn't agree more, the event is stuffed compared to the good old days -( No caged fences, no ludicrous ASIC, no curb & channeling and beer cans a foot deep around the pub & cold drunks still buried in cans at sunrise-)
The fun in the 80's will never be seen again -(

cattletruck
25th Jul 2021, 12:09
Given that Australians at large could not go overseas in 2020 and again in 2021 travel companies hooked on to the Birdsville Races as an event to take tourists to, of course at a fee.

Apparently the Port Douglas resort is at the time of this posting 85% full, and many other resorts in FNQ are not too far behind. Plenty of people with money and nowhere to go (i.e Melbournians).

I'm sure things will return to normal when the "Hiltons without the blow flies" open up again.

Squawk7700
26th Jul 2021, 01:01
At least you can rent a tent from them instead of taking your own :-(

Birdsville Races 2021 - Rent a Tent (http://www.rentatent.com.au/rentatent/events/view/71)

Flying Ted
26th Jul 2021, 01:23
At least you can rent a tent from them instead of taking your own :-(

Birdsville Races 2021 - Rent a Tent (http://www.rentatent.com.au/rentatent/events/view/71)

Nope - all sold out.

KRviator
26th Jul 2021, 01:24
AT what cost though? Phuck me!

1 x 4 man tent:$899
4 x camp chairs @ $20 ea: 80
4 x sleeping bag & pillows @ $40 ea: $160
2 x LED Lanterns @ $10ea: $20
1 x table @ $30 ea: $30
1 x esky @ $40ea: $40

$1,229 in camping 'supplies' for stuff people would usually bring themselves and throw under the wing of their 182.

They can stick that fair up their asre. If I can't camp under the wing, I am not going to pay for the...uhhh...."privilege" of camping in town with a bunch on non-aviation yobbos.

Squawk7700
26th Jul 2021, 03:12
Nope - all sold out.

Amazing. When I posted that earlier, only the single tents were sold out.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
26th Jul 2021, 08:22
You could always try the Oodnadatta Racing Round weekend - same date as the Adelaide Cup weekend - and a WHOLE HEAP of FUN!!

XLNT Weekend - without the Bulls*8it...!!!
Cheers

Oodnadatta
26th Jul 2021, 08:40
I’ll second that Griffo..

Cheers.:E

descol
26th Jul 2021, 13:29
from the 70s

https://i.postimg.cc/qM495Gqv/bv3.jpg (https://postimg.cc/s1H6B75k)

compressor stall
26th Jul 2021, 14:05
Am I the only one who looks at that pic and wants to close the door in case a gust catches it damages it and align the prop in a perfect Y?

aroa
26th Jul 2021, 20:38
Worry not. It’s a glorious cool calm desert morning. The door got closed and the prop set to inverted Y

Squawk7700
26th Jul 2021, 23:50
I like the fact that it looks like they have removed a seat from the aircraft to sit outside on. Aussie ingenuity at its finest!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
27th Jul 2021, 04:06
Did they have the 'required' certificate / bit of paper to authorise such a radical bit of 'interfering with' an aeroplane..??

2,500 penalty points..................................

AAAHHH....'The Good Ole Days'.....................

(No CS, You're not alone......'Dress' the aeroplane please..).

pcx
27th Jul 2021, 09:14
I did a charter to Birdsville in our new for us PA31 that the boss had brand new sheepskin seat covers made and installed.

Arrived on Friday afternoon and we all went to the pub.

I wandered back to the aircraft a few hours later to find that some of the passengers had removed 6 seats and were happily clustered around the esky drinking beer.

The wind was blowing and the dust covering every thing.

Don't think we ever got all of that red dust out of the nice sheepskin seat covers.

Had a great time though. That was my third visit to the races. I haven't been back since. Unfortunately the great days seem to be past.

runway16
27th Jul 2021, 10:58
Birdsville..Races.... Yes the great days are over.

The races have become an over the top commercialised event, The travel companies are unable to sell tickets for overseas travel so they have latched onto the races as a must go-to event. I have counted eight travel companies so far. No doubt they bought big when tickets first got sold.

There was a wait list to put your name on which I did but I see a note on Facebook that the wait tickets are to be sold 9 am on 30 July. I am still waiting for a notification that wait tickets are to be sold on the 30th.

As yet I have not received any work from the wait tickets people.

Sure the lockdowns have not helped. I have doubts as to when the lockdowns are to be lifted - before or after the races?

Even if they are lifted in the next two weeks I would be unable to get a ticket. They will not doubt have been sold in big batches to travel companies.

I feel that there are going to be a lot of asks for refunds if the lockdowns continue.

I guess I will miss out again.

cowl flaps
27th Jul 2021, 15:14
I've attended three Birdsville events in '87,- '88 & '89. The first one was a blast,- totally enjoyed it. The second, with the same crew, was 'not as good',-
and the third was sort of 'yeah, whatever. Been there, done that'.

Only bothered to go out to the racetrack for about an hour on the second trip,- the other two, we stayed at the pub, and close by. Went to Fred Brophy's
boxing tent each time, to watch the would be's taking on the troupe. Lot's of half p!ssed ringers who fancied themselves too.

The fellow who brought the refrige truck down from the gulf loaded with cooked prawns made an absolute killing. Everyone bought a cardboard dish of over-priced prawns
to go with the cold XXXX tinnies.

Flying Ted
28th Jul 2021, 01:03
the third was sort of 'yeah, whatever. Been there, done that'.

I've been three times. Each time is different, each time a lot of fun. My second trip was 2010 - the year the races were washed out. A lot of unhappy campers on the airfield that year.

Allan L
9th Aug 2021, 05:00
Can't edit the header, but that's really April 2022. Thnx DF.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-09/birdsville-races-2021-postponed-covid19/100361984

Desert Flower
9th Aug 2021, 07:13
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-09/birdsville-races-2021-postponed-covid19/100361984

Till April 2021 really?!

bb744
9th Aug 2021, 07:46
Well thats it then, guess there is no underwing camping 2021!!!! Bugger.

Allan L
9th Aug 2021, 08:09
Till April 2021 really?!
Bugger. Covid worry must have scrambled my calendar! Will fix.

Desert Flower
9th Aug 2021, 08:19
Bugger. Covid worry must have scrambled my calendar! Will fix.

PPRuNe seriously needs emojis like FB! :)

DF.

machtuk
9th Aug 2021, 12:11
$3.40 for gas as well as the other rip off charges fewer and fewer will turn up!