PDA

View Full Version : Frozen ATPL-how long for first job offer?

beam me up
11th Mar 2001, 02:12
To all the ATPLs who have recently got jobs. Is it likely I will get a right hand seat as soon as I qualify or is it if your face fits then the job is yous?
Yours very naievely

Anti Freeze
11th Mar 2001, 02:23
Make sure you know someone, who can keep your CV at the top of the pile !

Going Around & Around
11th Mar 2001, 05:24
No, you will be v lucky to get a right hand seat as soon as you leave.
Yes, it helps if your face fits, but you probably have to know where to put it and what to do once it's there!!! (That's not how I got a job!!!)
Take the good advice from anti-freeze. That kind of help is invaluable!

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Going Around & Around (edited 11 March 2001).]

JB007
11th Mar 2001, 14:31
Anti-Freeze is spot on - "its not what you know, but who"

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

[email protected]
(I'm away for a while!)

batty
11th Mar 2001, 16:07
No always who you know, also how you did and what school you went to. I graduated 6 weeks ago and now have a jet job after a recomendation from my school

Tarmach
11th Mar 2001, 18:33
So what flying school did you go to then Batty? Did you do an intergrated course?

Tarmach

landedoutagain
11th Mar 2001, 18:59
nice one batty!

if i can ask, which school, which company now with, and hours?

cheers
LOA

Left On The Greens
11th Mar 2001, 20:46
Hi there,

It took me 2 years to get that job. Done some parachute dropping and single crew IFR work prior. Keep current, try to get some multi time, keep phoning

Good Luck

Tower
12th Mar 2001, 02:21
Get the school you trained with to help you get your job. After all you paid them all that money to train you. It's not a lot to ask!

I did just this four years ago to get my first job. Okay it also takes luck, but they rang me to come and see them, and not the other way round.

There's no harm in trying. If you want a job bad enough you will succeed.

Good Luck

QNH1013
12th Mar 2001, 07:02
Just be sure of what 'deal' you get with the training school you want to go to. Yes, you sure pay them all that money and they'll give you the excellent training they can...but I was told outright from my school that no help will be given as to getting a job or recomendations. Just be sure of where you'll stand.

R.Don
12th Mar 2001, 15:09
Anti gave you good advice, but don't stop there........ Try every damn thing you can think of, even rapping the chiefs door with your knuckles.

Cummulo Granite
12th Mar 2001, 18:17
Just as JB007 will, i too had a little help getting my first commercial interview, but there are two things that will get you the job, trust me it ain't sense of humour, although it helps.
Firstly and most importantly, have a bloody good answer and proof to the question of " How many flying hours have you done in the last 6 months?"
The other, unfortunatly, is does your face fit the airline you are applying for.
Keep flying and keep applying.

------------------
" Well it looked like a runway from up there!"

ronchonner
13th Mar 2001, 06:00
i flew as a cfi, sky diver and caravan pilot for ups...
go to the US ,it s plenty of job for cfi...

atp pilot

Loony_Pilot
14th Mar 2001, 14:22
Hi..

how long to the first job interview?

13 months and not a sniff

Well apart from being treated rather unfairly here and there

LP

Owen Money
15th Mar 2001, 00:02
Finally got my first job after 25 months, and over 600 carefully aimed CV's! However, Ive just had three different interviews in the last 2 months, and in each case, it was the result of a mate dropping my CV on to the right desk. - Things seem to be moving though - two pals also just got jobs after 12 months and 18 months. Just stay positive and current. good luck!

v1rotate
15th Mar 2001, 19:32
20 months and counting and to echo Looney Pilots phrase...Well apart from being treated rather unfairly here and there

v1

------------------
"Jerry, just remember, it's NOT a LIE if YOU believe it." - George Costanza

Gordon Bennett
16th Mar 2001, 17:32
23 months and I'm now in a holding pool!

RVR800
19th Mar 2001, 20:49
Gowdone Bennett ...!