PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Tarhe?

spitfirek5054
25th Feb 2021, 17:38
https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/return-of-the-tarhe

unmanned_droid
25th Feb 2021, 19:50
https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/return-of-the-tarhe

Don't see why not. More modern materials and processes could reduce the weight of the pods and make them more robust.

NutLoose
25th Feb 2021, 21:02
Agreed after all they did similar with the Twotter.

meleagertoo
25th Feb 2021, 21:33
Why do Chinooks and Super Stallions need freeing from their heavylift duties under operational conditions"? Isn't that their role?
Wouldn't a better and more modern solution be to simply buy more Chinooks and Stallions?
If the new Tarhe fills a gap that isn't covered now that's clearly a different matter but that doesn't seem to be what they said.

Arclite01
26th Feb 2021, 08:15
I would think this is for real outsize loads rather than the conventionally considered heavy lift of the underslung load..................

Arc

Mk 1
26th Feb 2021, 08:37
Bring it! If for no other reason that they make awesome firefighting helitankers. And as we saw last summer, we need more (and locally based) of these fine assets.

ExAdvert
26th Feb 2021, 08:45
Agreed after all they did similar with the Twotter.

Except that made it less robust and weigh more! :ugh:

unmanned_droid
26th Feb 2021, 11:43
Why do Chinooks and Super Stallions need freeing from their heavylift duties under operational conditions"? Isn't that their role?
Wouldn't a better and more modern solution be to simply buy more Chinooks and Stallions?
If the new Tarhe fills a gap that isn't covered now that's clearly a different matter but that doesn't seem to be what they said.

The Tarhe would allow the old new again concept of delivering pods to areas - ready kitted out to do their job. You could fit out a Chinook or Stallion with the kit in those pods (med stations or drone or missile/rocket batteries for example) but that would not be a very good use of very expensive and scarce resources. A pod you can drop off and pick up though...today, this could be a genuinely useful utility.

charliegolf
26th Feb 2021, 12:28
Thunderbird 2.:E

CG

Martin the Martian
26th Feb 2021, 12:33
Thunderbird 2.:E

CG

I was thinking more along the lines of the Eagle transporter.

spitfirek5054
26th Feb 2021, 14:58
I was thinking more along the lines of the Eagle transporter.
AAH Space 1999

NutLoose
26th Feb 2021, 17:06
I would imagine it would be ideal for disaster relief lifting in generator pods, pump units and medical units.