PDA

View Full Version : Bell 429 Crash in Poland

muermel
24th Feb 2021, 06:02
Bell 429 crashed in Poland, 2 fatalities 2 injured.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/248151

Click on the link in the twitter post, takes you to photos of the accident site, really bad visibility at least on those photos.

RichiRich
24th Feb 2021, 08:43
This helicopter was brand new, had only 40 hours of flight time. The owner and the pilot died on the spot. They tried to land on a small private landing site at night under IMC conditions

gulliBell
24th Feb 2021, 09:58
That will be an easy investigation to wrap up.

Bell_ringer
24th Feb 2021, 11:23
You just pop on the synthetic vision and the rest takes care of itself.

John R81
24th Feb 2021, 17:05
Bell Ringer
I have synthetic Vision on my Flymap L. Absolutely fantastic when you don't need it (because you can see). Quite a toy - thought it might be useful for inadvertant IMC - making a U-turn in those Scottish Glens - though never had the occasion to need it for that.

There is one flaw, however, that I noticed: No rendering for trees!

Perhaps the finding of the enquiry will be that the absence of rendering of trees in the software led directly to the impact.

Bell_ringer
25th Feb 2021, 14:06
Bell Ringer
I have synthetic Vision on my Flymap L. Absolutely fantastic when you don't need it (because you can see). Quite a toy - thought it might be useful for inadvertant IMC - making a U-turn in those Scottish Glens - though never had the occasion to need it for that.

There is one flaw, however, that I noticed: No rendering for trees!

Perhaps the finding of the enquiry will be that the absence of rendering of trees in the software led directly to the impact.

Unfortunately people don't realise there are no trees, towers, buildings, wires or obstacles.
Obstacle coverage is severely limited globally.

25th Feb 2021, 16:22
Unfortunately people don't realise there are no trees, towers, buildings, wires or obstacles.
Obstacle coverage is severely limited globally. See the SAR Ireland crash for proof that a navigation database is only as good as the information put into it.

212man
25th Feb 2021, 17:37
See the SAR Ireland crash for proof that a navigation database is only as good as the information put into it.

In fairness (to Honeywell at least) an EGPWS database is not intended for navigation, and certainly not meant to have the granularity required to have a 200 ft 'rock in the ocean' in it. The database is primarily aimed at the FW world, and the market size of the RW world renders the cost of providing this level of fine detail, globally, prohibitive

Phoinix
25th Feb 2021, 18:55
In fairness (to Honeywell at least) an EGPWS database is not intended for navigation, and certainly not meant to have the granularity required to have a 200 ft 'rock in the ocean' in it. The database is primarily aimed at the FW world, and the market size of the RW world renders the cost of providing this level of fine detail, globally, prohibitive

The first question would be: “were they trained in using the synthetic vision...”. Although usually these features come as a free feature (not airbus) they also come without training. Huge eye candy though.

Mee3
26th Feb 2021, 01:57
if you chose not to be trained airbus can't help you.

EGPWS is only good for that 8 or so mode it intended for. Also database update is something many operator don't keep up.

RVDT
26th Feb 2021, 04:33
Airbus RFM Helionix -

Synthetic Vision System (SVS, optional)

WARNING • THE SVS ONLY DISPLAYS OBSTACLES WHICH ARE INCLUDED IN THE HTAWS DATABASE.

• A GROUP OF OBSTACLES IS SOMETIMES PRESENTED ONLY BY A SINGLE "GROUP" OBSTACLE IN THE HTAWS DATABASE. IN THIS

CASE, THE INDIVIDUAL OBSTACLES WILL NOT APPEAR AT THE CORRECT LOCATION ON THE SVS.

CAUTION THE SVS DOES NOT DISPLAY ANY LINE OBSTACLES (CABLES, WIRES, LINES).

The Synthetic Vision System (SVS) is intended to increase the pilot's situation awareness in VFR and IFR.

Use of the SVS does not change the rules and minima for VFR and IFR (i.e. no operational credit shall be claimed).

Navigation and terrain avoidance shall not be based upon SVS information. In VFR, the pilot shall use external references:

in IFR, the pilot shall use the published procedures.

Simultaneous display of SVS on all MFDs is prohibited.

casper64
26th Feb 2021, 19:27

Does the 429 have SVS at all? Never seen pictures of it..

Phoinix
27th Feb 2021, 19:21
Does the 429 have SVS at all? Never seen pictures of it..

​​​​​​
no idea.