PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Standby Duty

OnceBittenTwiceShy
17th Feb 2021, 19:35
Was wondering if any ATCOs out there do standby duties, and how it fits in to your roster?
Do they count towards your normal hours, either at full time, or at a reduced rate? Or are they in excess of your normal contracted hours?
Thanks in advance for any info.

chevvron
18th Feb 2021, 08:58
Was wondering if any ATCOs out there do standby duties, and how it fits in to your roster?
Do they count towards your normal hours, either at full time, or at a reduced rate? Or are they in excess of your normal contracted hours?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Haven't looked recently but I'm sure this is covered by SRATCOH.

Dan Dare
18th Feb 2021, 11:12
CAP670 (https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=9124) appendix D (SRATCOH) describes "On call duties"

We have quite a few of them at the moment. I can't think of any civilian scenario where it should be acceptable to have standby ATC duties in excess of contracted hours without compensation.

Aus ATC
24th Feb 2021, 22:16
Down Under, we have in our enterprise agreement a provision for "Grey Days". Basically you are rostered for 8 hours, but available to provide up to 8 hours cover during the 16 hours from the start time of the grey shift. 8 hours are paid/acquitted in the roster - whether called in or not. They were not used a lot previously, but have been quite popular since COVID reduced both roster requirements and the overtime budget.

We also have a "voluntary on call" provision in our agreement that has never been used (to my knowledge). Basically an individual guarantees to be available (in 24 hr period) for call in for additional duty in return for a few (I think 4 hrs) pay. If called in, they get the normal additional duty rate for the hours worked.

sunnySA
28th Feb 2021, 11:05
Aus ATC, Voluntary On-Call System (VOCS) was used in SYD TCU for several years and was basically the only thing that kept the place open.
Mainly covered Friday afternoons and Monday mornings, sometimes the weekend.
Briefly used in SYD TWR.