PDA

View Full Version : Pension Question please

OKOC
16th Feb 2021, 20:04
I retired from the RAF in 2006 after 35 years service. I retired as a Spec Aircrew Sqn Ldr. I have lost all my retirement paperwork in a fire and my question please is am I on the AFPS 1975 or the AFPS 2005 scheme? I don’t know who to ask hence my rather daft question.

OilCan
16th Feb 2021, 20:26
I can't give you an answer but these guys might be able to help.

https://forcespensionsociety.org (https://forcespensionsociety.org/)

Given your job and timings I would be very surprised if you remained on AFPS 1975.

The B Word
16th Feb 2021, 21:26
I retired from the RAF in 2006 after 35 years service. I retired as a Spec Aircrew Sqn Ldr. I have lost all my retirement paperwork in a fire and my question please is am I on the AFPS 1975 or the AFPS 2005 scheme? I don’t know who to ask hence my rather daft question.

You will be on AFPS75 for sure as transfers happened in Apr 06 and you wouldn’t have been able to transfer. Speak to Veterans UK rather than the Forces Pensions Society - Veterans UK are there for exactly this query and can issue you with new paperwork. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-uk

Wensleydale
17th Feb 2021, 07:05
If I remember, the terms to join AFPS 2005 included a time to serve commitment clause ,,,I just fell into the bracket (was it five years?) to qualify, and I retired at the end of 2010. My gut feeling is also that you will be on '75.

ForcesPensionSociety
17th Feb 2021, 08:32
If you left before 6 April 2006, you are definitely in AFPS 75.

In 2005-06 there was an Offer To Transfer from AFPS 75 to AFPS 05 (the transfer date for those who opted to transfer was 6 April 2006). Not a lot of people transferred to AFPS 05 but those with service before 18 as an OR or before 21 as an Officer found it attractive, as did those who knew for a certainty that they would have service to age 55 open to them. This latter group were attracted by the idea of leaving at age 54yr 11 months and getting 2 tax free lump sum within just over 10 years.

Like others, my bet is that you stayed in 75 but, to check, ask the paying agent.

You will have a pension in payment so the people to contact are Equiniti Paymaster (who pay your pension) tel. 0345 121 2514 or email [email protected]. Include your Service and NI numbers in your enquiry.

ForcesPensionSociety
17th Feb 2021, 08:33
There was no minimum period of time to serve for those transferring.

Specaircrew
17th Feb 2021, 09:23
If your pension doesn't get delivered in a wheelbarrow at the beginning of every month you'll be on the 75 scheme. RAF pensions are administered by Equiniti, you can call them on 0345 121 2514. If you've lost your pension reference number I'm sure that your service number will be enough.

Gulf Flyer
17th Feb 2021, 10:28
If your pension doesn't get delivered in a wheelbarrow at the beginning of every month you'll be on the 75 scheme.

Good one! :)

ForcesPensionSociety
17th Feb 2021, 11:51
If your pension doesn't get delivered in a wheelbarrow at the beginning of every month you'll be on the 75 scheme. RAF pensions are administered by Equiniti, you can call them on 0345 121 2514. If you've lost your pension reference number I'm sure that your service number will be enough.
Service number and NI number will do the trick.

Akrotiri bad boy
17th Feb 2021, 12:13
Just contact the MOD AFPS administrators at Kentigern House in Glasgow, Joint Personal Admin Centre 0800 0853600, who are available to take pension enquiries at no cost to yourself. These guys are Civil Servants employed solely to administer the armed forces pension in all it's guises. If as you say you lost all in a fire are you still at the same address? The JPAC guys will shortly be writing to military pensioners regarding the McLeod carry on, if you've moved you need to let them know. You'll need to quote service number, NI number and DOB in any correspondence.
Akro

OKOC
18th Feb 2021, 09:51
Thank you all very much for all your replies. I emailed Glasgow and had a reply back within 24 hours! Just if anyone is interested I am on the 05 scheme. Best wishes OKOC.