PDA

View Full Version : Skills test

BertieC
16th Feb 2021, 17:01
Does anyone know where I can find a step by step guide to the planning section for the skills test? I've got all the docs from the CAA etc and know what I need to do in outline but is there a definitive "fool's guide" eg step1, step 2, step3...etc down to the finest details.

So, for instance, as well as checking TAFFS, METARS, MET Office website, are there any other sources of weather info I should check. I did read an account that someone had written of their entire Skills Test in an R22 down to the n'th level of granularity.

I wish I had kept a copy but seem to have lost it in a house move - as I just want to make sure I don't miss anything else. This might also be a stupid question but does everyone do fuel planning on an R22 at 10 gallons/hour or is there a graph which shows gallons/hour at different KIAS. I would ask my instructor but I'm between schools at the moment as I had to move to a different part of the country. Sorry is this seems basic and if it's been asked/answered many times. before. If so then please just point me to the post/thread. Cheers.

gipsymagpie
16th Feb 2021, 19:49
Don’t panic. I assume it’s a CPL LST? In any case Standards Document 19(H) is helpful. As for met, a F215, local tafs/metals plus maybe F214 for wind and synoptic if you feel like it.

BertieC
18th Feb 2021, 10:14
Brilliant thanks very much for the help. Re: the fuel question: 10 galls/hour? I've read that the R22 will chomp through 7-8 gallons on max range KIAS

flight beyond sight
19th Feb 2021, 09:12
Sorry should be 03 (H) for the CPL

gipsymagpie
20th Feb 2021, 20:05
Sorry should be 03 (H) for the CPL

Whoops, I meant to say PPL. You’re absolutely right of course - it’s 03(H) for CPL.

212man
21st Feb 2021, 11:46
Not a topic I would normally look at much, but the query about the fuel consumption caught my interest and I thought "why not read the damn POH?" So, I looked at the POH on the Robinson website, and there is zero reference to fuel consumption! The only reference on the whole website, is a statement that it is 7-10 gallons per hour (US gallons, that is). How does that work? How on earth can an OEM sell a product and the user has no means of calculating fuel burn for flight planning purposes?

The only detailed info I can find is a research document here: https://rosap.ntl.bts.gov/view/dot/12372/dot_12372_DS1.pdf? with some burns at different weights and speeds on page 25.

Bizarre!

BertieC
7th Mar 2021, 19:01
Thanks for the reply. I did the same by looking at the POH but nothing specific there. In the end I assumed a linear relationship between the 7 and 10 gallon consumption and KIAS for max range ie at max range KIAS consumption would be 7 gallons as that's the most efficient use of fuel hence max range. But for any calcs, just to be safe I use 10 gallons now though. I was just trying ti make sure I hadn't missed something obvious.

staticsource
7th Mar 2021, 20:52
I used to use 8 usg/hr for the Beta and 10 usg/hr for the Beta II. But then I just used 9 usg/hr and didn’t go far wrong with that (they do and can vary a fair bit on fuel burn)