PDA

View Full Version : RIAT cancelled for another year.

Finningley Boy
16th Feb 2021, 13:01
Don't know what anyone else thinks but I'm disappointed to say the least that RIAT has had to cancel again. Apparently its too big to re-schedule to September which Cosford has done, finger X'd. Roll on 2022?!?!?!?!

FB:*

GeeRam
16th Feb 2021, 13:10
But there's also the fact that construction of a rather large new hangar we will starting on site there soon.......

Boeing Jet
16th Feb 2021, 13:31
Didn't surprise me with the uncertainty of Covid at the moment. Anything on that scale would take a lot of replanning to host at short notice, 2022 would be a more feasible year!

Doctor Cruces
16th Feb 2021, 14:08
I think it's the right thing to do. Although I rolled over my tickets I wouldn't have gone this year for Covid reasons.

Finningley Boy
16th Feb 2021, 14:46
GeeRam,

I can see how the Hangar construction would have an impact but they must have known about it for sometime? I understand this is all to do with moving Mildenhall based units to Faiford?!

FB

Cyberhacker
16th Feb 2021, 15:30
I can see how the Hangar construction would have an impact but they must have known about it for sometime? I understand this is all to do with moving Mildenhall based units to Faiford?!
I believe Mildenhall has been reprieved, and the planned transfers will not go ahead (ditto for some MH units which were planned to move to Germany)

https://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/18974553.planned-relocation-us-squadron-raf-fairford-scrapped/

GeeRam
16th Feb 2021, 15:44
Yes, Mildenhall has been reprieved, and the units there are now not moving to Fairford.
However, they are still going ahead for the big new hangar for the deployments from stateside of various bomb wings.

Finningley Boy
16th Feb 2021, 15:52
Yes, Mildenhall has been reprieved, and the units there are now not moving to Fairford.
However, they are still going ahead for the big new hangar for the deployments from stateside of various bomb wings.
All sounds quite exciting really!:}

FB

bobward
16th Feb 2021, 18:57
There's a thread over on Fighter Control that list the planned works. As well as the new hanger there are various storage areas and resurfacing of the taxiways in the north east corner.