PDA

View Full Version : New E-exams for PPLH

Rotaryairer
14th Feb 2021, 20:25
I am not enjoying this Covid lockdown one bit as I started my PPLH towards the end of last year and am/was loving it.
I need to get flying again but in the meantime thought I would study and have a go at the exams. I attempted a few before lockdown with miserable results.
The study material I have been using did not really help. Has anyone got any good feedback or can recommend the right books for these new e-exams? All I hear is the paper ones were much better which doesn't help me now.

Thanks in advance.

Hughes500
15th Feb 2021, 07:24
best person to ask is Phil Croucher who lurks on this site. His book PPLH studies was by far and away the best book

Ovc000
15th Feb 2021, 18:34
buy a PPL(H) flightbag at pooleys and you have everything you need.
try to add a PPL(H) book from Sparrow and you're set. No need for anything else..

heli10
15th Feb 2021, 20:28
I am not enjoying this Covid lockdown one bit as I started my PPLH towards the end of last year and am/was loving it.
I need to get flying again but in the meantime thought I would study and have a go at the exams. I attempted a few before lockdown with miserable results.
The study material I have been using did not really help. Has anyone got any good feedback or can recommend the right books for these new e-exams? All I hear is the paper ones were much better which doesn't help me now.

Thanks in advance.

There’s a fella who works down at Bournemouth alongside Derek Davidson who does residential courses for the helicopter syllabus that a few student colleagues have used recently. They didn’t have too many good things to say about the e-exams but the training was very good.

Rotaryairer
15th Feb 2021, 20:35
Ovc000,

I would have agreed with you if we were talking about the paper exams but of the few e-exams I have attempted I would say otherwise. The Principles of Flight goes deeper than I was led to believe. There were questions in there about Notar, Fenestron and turbine engine stuff. I was told it was based on the Robinson piston helicopter.

paco
16th Feb 2021, 02:25
Turbines is very much in the syllabus - who told you it was just the robbie? The POF will be very close to the professional syllabus - there's no point in teaching you half of dynamic rollover just because you are a PPL student.

EC145UK
18th Feb 2021, 10:41
I'm also a newbie in this area and I'm finding that PPL Tutor app and desktop quite helpful.