PDA

View Full Version : Flyr is hiring in Norway

booze
11th Feb 2021, 04:32
I wonder if they'll prioritize ex-Norwegian drivers over others looking for a 737 job in Europe with an EASA license and right to live and work. By the way what's the story on the right to live and work in Norway for people coming from one or another EU member state?

Airone2977
11th Feb 2021, 09:32
The position is mentionned as "non commutable" and they will operate mostly domestic flight. So I believe they are looking for people from Norway, eg ex-pilots from Norwegian.

dirk85
11th Feb 2021, 09:39
As long as someone is willing to live in Norway and accept a not commutable contract I don't see why preference should be given to ex-employees of any given company.

Superpilot
11th Feb 2021, 10:36
It should. And it will be.

Contact Approach
11th Feb 2021, 10:59
dirk85

Why not? If it was my decision i'd rather help my fellow Norwegians...

ManaAdaSystem
11th Feb 2021, 11:09
dirk85

I’ve not checked, but I think you will find you need to speak at least one of the Scandinavian languages to work for them.
And without checking, they will take pilots with experience in Norway and North Norway operations. That flying is a bit more challenging that most other flying in Europe.
This means ex Norwegian and ex SAS pilots.

dirk85
11th Feb 2021, 11:11
Then put a requirement to speak the local language, but restricting applications only for people coming from certain companies, why? What if a norwegian pilot was laid off from Qatar or Emirates, would he have less rights to be hired?

Contact Approach
11th Feb 2021, 11:32
What's wrong with placing preference of your own nationals during such difficult times?

dirk85
11th Feb 2021, 11:48
Did you read what I wrote? I have no problems with that, go for it, but I don't see why you have to discriminate norwegian people based on the company they worked before. A norwegian pilot that used to work for Emirates or Qatar should have the same rights of a norwegian pilot that worked for NAS.

ManaAdaSystem
11th Feb 2021, 12:00
He does, except the EK guy is not current in Norway ops. North Norway has special aircrew qualification requirements. EK pilots are not B737 rated either, so why would Flyr take him over a fully rated and qualified B737 pilot?
They will do this a cheaply as possible, that means ex Norwegian or ex SAS crew. Scandi ME pilots are further down on the list.

Contact Approach
11th Feb 2021, 12:45
It's a small start up gents... give them a break!

dirk85
11th Feb 2021, 14:10
ManaAdaSystem

You make it sound like you need moon landing experience. All those things can be covered in the OCC, sim and line training, which are going to be needed anyway for any new entrant. Any half competent experienced pilot can fly in scandinavia in the winter, let's be realistic here.

ManaAdaSystem
11th Feb 2021, 15:47
dirk85

That statement shows me you don’t have a clue what you are talking about. Scandinavia is more than Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen.
But why would a start up airline pay for something they can get for free? Or with minimum training?

Flyr just raised 600 million NOK today. Planning for 28 aircraft.

Spacecow
11th Feb 2021, 17:33
May I ask about your experience in Northern Norway during wintertime, Dirk85?

dirk85
11th Feb 2021, 17:43
I was based in Moscow, Kiev and in the Baltics, flying regularly in most of siberia, all the -stan countries and plenty of norwegian airports. Is that enough?

And for the record my interest in applying for this company is less than zero, just to be clear.

Spacecow
11th Feb 2021, 17:51
Last time I checked, Air Baltic or any other "Stan"-airline flew to Northern Norway.. You dont know what you are talking about...

dirk85
11th Feb 2021, 17:58
Right, you are one of those who doesn’t know there is a world beyond airlines, such as business aviation, where planes have speeds, weights and characteristics very close to many airliners. But sure, flying to Tromso, Kirkenes or god knows where in a 738 takes super special skills that are not achievable by an average Global Express or Gulfstream pilot.

I am out, good luck to all

Spacecow
11th Feb 2021, 18:37
Oh I do, but Im not an expert at everything! BUT, since you are so experienced in Northern Norway and THEN brag about how easy it is. It tells me a lot about you..
Im not saying it requires astronaut-skills either. Im saying it takes more than just any half decent experienced pilot with an OCC and Line-training.
Just because you have been in and out of those airports a few times doesnt mean you know it all. Take it down a notch will you? Its not that easy as you say. On a sunny day, of course it is.

Im reacting to someone who thinks he knows it all.

dirk85
11th Feb 2021, 21:16
Let's put it in a way that you can understand. Any pilot with more than a couple of thousand hours (5000 is the minimum for the lhs from what I see) with average skills, proper discipline, the support of a competent training dept and and decent sops can handle winter ops in Norway or anywhere else for that matter.
I did, and I am nothing if not an average pilot at best.
Now, I can understand that it might hurt the ego of someone, but I am sure you will cope.

booze
12th Feb 2021, 04:17
Most guys i know in the charter industry (mostly 737 and A320) flown all over Norway all the way up to Svalbard and it was mostly first time for all of them when they were scheduled to do so.

sonicbum
12th Feb 2021, 16:16
So basically to operate a B737 in Norway You need a James Bond type of experience ?

JW411
12th Feb 2021, 16:45
This sort of reminds me of my first visit to Bardufoss on 16.02.65. It was snowing like hell and we broke out at minimums from a PAR approach. Landed on a runway with snow rolled flat with gravel scattered on top. On either side were snow banks about 10 - 15 feet high.

Next morning, we got ready to leave and there, with its nose buried deep in one of the snow banks was an SAS DC-7C. When they got it out, the nose gear was bent sideways.

I can remember thinking that we had probably done quite well compared to the highly-experienced local and very experienced airline but, as my long flying career evolved, I realised that it could have just as easily been me with my nose stuck in the snow drift.

If you want to have as successful a flying career as I had over 53 years, do not ever think that operating safely is easy and, if you are a "local", do not think that you are better than an astronaut.

4000mrwyfordash8
10th Mar 2021, 07:16
So, anybody a clue about what the pay might look like?

semmern
10th Mar 2021, 09:10
FO: 350 000 NOK pa. CPT: 870 000 NOK pa. 215 working days, fully variable roster, pilot pays 20% of LoL. No commuting.

Chief Willy
10th Mar 2021, 15:24
So, for FOs it’s basically a voluntary role when you consider the cost of living in Norway. I’m sure they will be swamped with applications though.

semmern
10th Mar 2021, 18:11
Let’s put it this way: I can apply for a job as a cashier at the grocery store down the road and earn quite a bit more for less work.

4000mrwyfordash8
10th Mar 2021, 20:16
is the 870000 nok after tax or before?

semmern
11th Mar 2021, 05:44
4000mrwyfordash8

Before tax.

oceancrosser
11th Mar 2021, 20:26
With Norwegian cost of living, that is really poor.

Moonwalker
12th Mar 2021, 10:51
Historically the FO salaries have been around 60% of a captain's salary. Recent years I have started to see numbers dropping to around 50%. I wonder if this will be the new post covid era where they lower the FO salaries even further. 40% of a Captain's salary is low and correct me if I am wrong but I think the baggage loaders make more money than this at Gardemoen. We haven't seen the flight duty and per diems yet and maybe they will compensate so you as an airline has lower base rate.

oceancrosser
12th Mar 2021, 18:29
Familiar agency... same tricks as Norwegian? Just contract pilots?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x1063/c00420ff_185e_4802_948a_45689b5e818e_cb25ff0522cae1ce97b37b1 24b41d7c1b8c0c4ac.jpeg

JliderPilot
12th Mar 2021, 19:53
You think the unions in Norway would make this impossible to happen.

november.sierra
12th Mar 2021, 20:43
It's been made very clear that OSM are merely in charge of recruitment but that all positions will be direct employment with Flyr the mother company.

MrGustave
1st Jun 2021, 15:06
"Flyr and the pilot union sign collective agreement"
Anyone has any details? Have they upped their game or are the dismal salary numbers cited in this thread still valid?

annakm
24th Feb 2022, 15:14
Flyr still advertising for flight crew. Anyone got any info/experience with/about Flyr?

sunji
4th Jan 2023, 09:58
anyone thinking about applying there as first officer with that kind of salary should get his head checked.

snuspe
19th Jan 2023, 19:25
anyone thinking about applying there as first officer with that kind of salary should get his head checked.
Not the same conditions anymore. Currently about double the old figures + better overall conditions.