PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow-4

Pages : [1] 2

ericlday
10th Feb 2021, 14:37
CANARIAN AIRWAYS IS BORN, THE NEW CANARY AIRLINE https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/t3d/1.5/16/2708.png
Today Wednesday, the Cabildo of Tenerife hosted the presentation of Canarian Airways, a new air carrier led by hoteliers Tinerfeños and One Airways, which will begin operating from June from Tenerife South Airport with a single 144-seater plane.
The new airline will launch from next March the sale and booking of tickets, flying to destinations such as Madrid, Barcelona, Vigo and Bilbao, Glasgow, Cardiff and Berlin.

davidjohnson6
10th Feb 2021, 15:11
ericlday - could I suggest posting about Canarian Airways to the Tenerife thread instead of the Glasgow thread ?
https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/596665-tenerife-tfs.html

ericlday
10th Feb 2021, 15:14
One of the destinations is Glasgow therefore felt it appropriate to post on this site......

fjencl
10th Feb 2021, 15:18
Quite right

CabinCrewe
10th Feb 2021, 16:52
I give it a year, if it even gets off the ground

VickersVicount
26th Mar 2021, 12:52
Seeing the NCL post re: Corendon flights to AYT and DLM for S22, I see GLA included too. These charter-esque routes seem to come and go. Lets see if they actually transpire as seems fairly big sudden expansion. General population may not be aware unless heavily advertised or linked with tour operator use.

CabinCrewe
1st Apr 2021, 11:52
EZY trying to wade in on market share on AYT. If they continue S22 will no doubt push Corendon off... feast or famine

wesleyscott
22nd Apr 2021, 19:25
Have VS pulled GLA to MCO along with BFS, seems like it, always thought it sold quite well.
maybe it’s just rumour

True Blue
22nd Apr 2021, 20:32
Have you tried checking their website, tried making a booking?

CabinCrewe
23rd Apr 2021, 08:10
think GLA was always planned to be withdrawn until Easter 2022 at the earliest. No idea about BFS.

Plane mad 134
19th Jul 2021, 19:17
EasyJet add 2 new winter routes:
• 2x weekly LPA (MON/FRI)
• 2x weekly TFS (WED/SAT)

I know these operated briefly for a few flights in W20 like EDI but now on sale for next winter too.

Edit:
• 2x weekly AGA (THU/SUN)

CabinCrewe
19th Jul 2021, 21:21
Nice to see LH to FRA up-gauged to an Airbus from CRJ yesterday

VickersVicount
19th Jul 2021, 21:26
How many times has that been tried and dropped over the years along with Marrakesh? They come, they go. The punters have no idea where it is unless prompted by a travel agent. Was a bit like when TUI had to try and flog Cape Verde/Boa

GrahamK
19th Jul 2021, 21:51
Its a shame, but got to agree. Better off sending the aircraft to TFS year round.A guarantee money maker from GLA

CabinCrewe
29th Jul 2021, 20:35
Nice to see KLM celebrate 75 years of operating from Glasgow Airport(s)

inOban
6th Aug 2021, 15:02
Emirates restart Dubai on Monday, 4/weekly until September, then daily.

CabinCrewe
6th Aug 2021, 15:10
and on the lower density 777LR for the foreseeable

GrahamK
6th Aug 2021, 18:02
Makes sense. Got the new Biz class product on though

nivsy
12th Aug 2021, 01:14
I have not been to my home town or airport for nearly two years. Last time I was there I saw a remarkable decline in the airport. Quiet terminal (went through 4 times on separate flights), very few aircraft on the ground, and a general apathy. It actually reminded me of Prestwick many years ago in quiet times.

Carriers and the management team for whatever reason are unable to encourage, motivate and persuade new scheduled blood.

Sure we can all point at COVID, but I'm sure it will pass. What then? With Virgin the latest casualty to the east coast has GLA anything more to offer beyond feeding London, Amsterdam and Dublin? Sure there will always be some charter market (although I'm sure it's much less than when I was even a lot younger many years ago now). Emirates must surely despite the investment they put into at GLA must be having a re think or perhaps with market research they may consider EDI as the way forward.

I feel sorry for GLA. I also feel that no wonder what the situation is market wise the management team need to be visibly Pro active to encourage carriers to their airport and not just shop retail units. Has any of the shop units closed?

Asturias56
12th Aug 2021, 07:41
I agree - even pre-Covid Glasgow was developing a nasty run-down feel. Lots of temporary "fixes" and no overall plan. A great deal of refurbishment and a clear out of old junk and buildings is really needed

willy wombat
12th Aug 2021, 08:42
Last time I flew out off GLA was a couple of years ago and I agree that some of it was feeling pretty decrepit. The domestic pier that my EZY flight to LGW left from felt pure 1960s, which of course it is. However the passenger experience at EDI, where I am a regular traveller, is pretty awful. Pre Covid-19 it was overcrowded almost all the time and the new pier feels cheap and nasty. It is a great shame that the bullet wasn’t bitten years ago and the much talked about Central Scotland airport built.

Rusty Irish
12th Aug 2021, 09:48
There is no future at the moment. Economy is weak, SNP in bed with the Greens so we're talking frequent flyer taxes and APD being cut or eliminated will now never happen. Constant uncertainty with indy and now lockdowns. SNP infatuation with Prestwick means we have a laughable situation of two sub standard airports representing a run of the mill city. Rail link will never happen to reduce the M8/74 bottleneck. The management are useless. Aberdeen, Glasgow, Southampton all struggling, spot a pattern? Be as well blowing it up and building it somewhere east to ever give a chance of competing again. As stated above and elsewhere several times the place is needing more than a lick of paint and its debatable whether the owners have the desire to invest or even realise what the place looks like to an outsider.

There's so many factors against the airport now that you have to question its long term viability. Derek Provan said their airports are losing around 3m a month currently. I don't see any signs of major recovery on the way post covid. All about survival now. There's no wave or routes or base openings to stem the bleeding or provide optimism.

The airport will probably exist, just about. You'll still have shuttle service to above named hubs and maybe some UK/Ireland regional travel at the expense of the tax payer and a few flights to the Costas. Cuts will continue. My prediction in the next medium term is UA leave completely and the seeds will be sown for Emirates to concentrate on the east like the transatlantic Airlines have. God forbid Loganair goes bust! If EZY can shut Newcastle they'll look at Glasgow as its market share further shrinks.

We have an Irish model of aviation now in Scotland with one dominant airport, however without the hub status or the infrastructure to go with it. A total shambles.

The Hypnoboon
12th Aug 2021, 10:27
It's bleak times in the west for aviation.
I have a feeling that AGS' plan was to purchase Prestwick, shut the terminal and move the small remaining Ryanair service to Glasgow, and that obviously fell through due to the pandemic.
There is definitely not optimism for both airports just now and it's very difficult to see where any growth may be.

Flightrider
12th Aug 2021, 11:56
I think there is a bit of an absence of perspective here. Yes, the loss of Virgin to Edinburgh is a big blow. But it is two flights a week. Edinburgh has lost (for now) Emirates and a TUI based aircraft plus various other bits like Iberia and Air Baltic that Glasgow never had!

When it comes to infrastructure, Edinburgh has spent huge amounts in recent years. By comparison, Glasgow has done little. If this directly translates into debt levels and interest payments, I know which I’d rather back.

Skipness One Foxtrot
12th Aug 2021, 13:48
Virgin on GLA-MCO was three B744s each week in summer, so once COVID is done, I'd expect the equivalent A330 frequency to be somewhat higher to maintain market share against TUI, usual caveats apply. It also depends on whether EDI-BGI is operated year round.
What EDI clearly now has is credibility and momentum in the market.

renfrew
12th Aug 2021, 14:00
Edinburgh is now a much more prosperous area than Glasgow and is also the entry airport of choice for inbound tourism.

inOban
12th Aug 2021, 15:15
When did EDI lose Iberia and Air Baltic? Both have operated within the last week.

willy wombat
12th Aug 2021, 16:21
For all my complaints about EDI as a passenger experience, you cannot deny that there is always a buzz about the place and success begets success, as they say.

VickersVicount
12th Aug 2021, 16:48
I also read else where Iberia had/were about to ditch EDI - still bookable?

inOban
12th Aug 2021, 17:25
I wouldn't be surprised if it's dropped until S22.

Fletch
12th Aug 2021, 22:06
Rusty Irish

Not really, no. Each has faced its own set of individual challenges.

inOban
13th Aug 2021, 07:20
And Air Baltic is scheduled today.

Link Kilo
15th Aug 2021, 06:15
JetBlue planning GLA flights: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jetblue-london-heathrow-new-york-new-routes-covid-gatwick-ktbxfkgzp

"Flights between Boston and Heathrow will begin next year, followed by seasonal shuttles between New York and Manchester and Glasgow."

nighthawk117
16th Aug 2021, 10:06
I would take that with a truckload of salt. JetBlue have never mentioned any other destinations publicly, so no idea where The Times have got that info from.

tartan 201
16th Aug 2021, 10:50
Without a direct quote it's hard to know exactly what was said. In this video Robin Heyes goes so far as to mention only "regional UK markets in the summer".

https://youtu.be/cg5zWa7NoZE?t=219

willy wombat
16th Aug 2021, 11:41
Interesting to see in the Sunday Times article that the JetBlue CEO started his career on a check in desk at GLA. Maybe he’s got an affinity for the place.

SWBKCB
16th Aug 2021, 15:47
I agree - but it's also unlikely that the journalist decided that "regional UK markets" was too boring and made something up. Maybe Manchester and Glasgow and Manchester were mentioned by name, but surrounded by caveats which haven't made it in to print...

Rusty Irish
27th Aug 2021, 12:09
Donegal the next service being cut. They just keep on coming!

nighthawk117
27th Aug 2021, 15:31
"Something Big Is Coming" according to Glasgow Airport social media account.. along with a photo of what might be Niagra Falls.

VickersVicount
27th Aug 2021, 16:42
The definition of ‘Big’ is being stretched here….

mwm991
30th Aug 2021, 09:35
Rusty Irish

Looks like Wizzair are also gone completely.
They were about 7/8 routes at their peak.

Rusty Irish
30th Aug 2021, 13:03
With the Green SNP marriage ratified at the weekend and clueless management the place is right up :mad: creek.

The budget airlines haven't half deserted the place. Looks like UA are going too after all these years. Only bookable via FRA now.

At least the SNP will be able to buy it for a pound eventually and say they saved it!

Can we guess the next cut? Icelandair must have their eyes looking east now.

Seljuk22
31st Aug 2021, 16:20
WestJet 4 times a week to Toronto starting 20th May
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2021/-it-s-pure-barry---westjet-introduces-new-flights-to-scotland-fr

VickersVicount
31st Aug 2021, 17:34
Thats some good news. Its a good product. Presumably can run in parallel with established Air Transat as Rouge previously did. I am guessing AC will now no longer serve GLA in any form.
I don’t hold much hope for the WS Halifax service though longer term unless it has significant point to point.

tictack67
31st Aug 2021, 18:28
I'm afraid I have to disagree re.this being a good project.
Research shows westjet cancel at short notice and are notorious for lengthy delays.
BAA as was must be kicking themselves selling the wrong airport

CabinCrewe
31st Aug 2021, 18:44
What is this ‘research’ you talk of?
Share with us the perceived issues during the last full season of YHZ-GLA

Skipness One Foxtrot
31st Aug 2021, 19:40
BAA as was also sold the other one, BAA are really now HAL with ABZ/GLA/SOU off with AGS.

gopaisleygo
31st Aug 2021, 19:54
At least it’s something. And lots of social media about Frankie and Bennys reopening! Good times at GLA! Who’s doing their biz dev?

inOban
31st Aug 2021, 19:57
And three times a week to EDI. I wonder what 2023 will look like.

GLAEDI
13th Sep 2021, 16:18
Looks like the drop in US passengers coming to Scotland has meant the GLA - KEF flights have been pulled by Icelandair.

figgi_gsm
13th Sep 2021, 17:53
where have you seen this? Just did a mock booking and there’s daily flights all way to Atleast March 2022.

CabinCrewe
13th Sep 2021, 20:09
Mock bookings do not show this. It wasnt even daily up until now. Suspended and restarts March 22

GLAEDI
13th Sep 2021, 20:15
My flights in Feb/Mar cancelled, on their booking engine it show flights but when you try to rebook no flights available. It makes sense restart in March and hope US/Canada market opens up again.

tictack67
14th Sep 2021, 07:16
I can't believe this flight was just full of connections though.

Easyjet continuing Edinburgh to Iceland for winter 2022.

Most be some other reason Icelandair not willing to run the route for winter season

Skipness One Foxtrot
14th Sep 2021, 12:51
Point to point inbound Christmas shopping traffic to Glasgow used to be a large driver of volume, I assume that's no longer the case, especially with COVID?

CabinCrewe
1st Oct 2021, 08:43
Wonder what the OneWorld Alaska Air PR event is all about in Glasgow next week. Seems very specific..

nivsy
1st Oct 2021, 08:47
Code share opportunity with BA via LHR....🤪who knows but if it's something exciting for GLA which I doubt all well and good.

Flightrider
1st Oct 2021, 08:47
Boeing environment stuff ahead of COP26.

134brat
1st Oct 2021, 14:25
I was unreliability informed today that Glasgow will not be taking any COP26 aircraft movements as everything will be going into Prestwick. I can't believe that Glasgow Airport is too busy or that they don't need a bit of extra income. Can anyone out there shed any light on the rumour?

Breathe
1st Oct 2021, 14:35
I would imagine it would be to do with security provision. It is in a less densely populated area/not many members of the public using the airport, so I would imagine it would be easier for the security services to keep a lookout for any nefarious activity around the perimeter of the facility too.

When Presidents George W Bush and Trump visited Scotland, they have previously used Prestwick for example.

Breathe
1st Oct 2021, 14:37
New route for GLA to Orly with Vueling starting in November.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/glasgow-airport-paris-flights-launched-21730944

Link Kilo
1st Oct 2021, 15:55
Confirmation of the above from Alaska:
https://twitter.com/Cailee_Olson/status/1443938958795104258?s=19

nivsy
5th Oct 2021, 01:42
Breathe

Thats positive. Do Air France still fly from GLA to CDG? They have the past a few times I know, seem to start.....then stop!

billyg
5th Oct 2021, 10:13
Transavia just announced GLA-ORY as well , 3x weekly Tue , Thu , Sun from April 2022 !

nivsy
5th Oct 2021, 13:11
Is there an incentive package being offered for this route? Typical Glasgow, crying out for international flights then is let's all go to the same place! Like waiting for a bus on Argyle Street. 🤭

willy wombat
5th Oct 2021, 16:00
This looks like AF/KL Group looking to stop Vueling getting established on Paris UK routes. Will be interesting to see if this is repeated on other Vueling France-UK routes.

inOban
5th Oct 2021, 16:11
Edinburgh also from April

CabinCrewe
5th Oct 2021, 16:19
and both VY and Transavia will be gone again within a year.

willy wombat
5th Oct 2021, 17:11
Sadly probably true

nivsy
6th Oct 2021, 01:25
Indeed...sadly.

VickersVicount
16th Dec 2021, 12:03
Nice to see TS back on YYZ-GLA with A321LR Slightly surprising restart given depths of winter and current circumstances but plans already to get back up to 4/wk next year assuming no consolidation with WestJet.

nivsy
16th Dec 2021, 12:05
Nice to see TS back on YYZ-GLA with A321LR Slightly surprising restart given depths of winter and current circumstances but plans already to get back up to 4/wk next year assuming no consolidation with WestJet.
Maybe Christmas charters at this time? With things "open" at least for time being?

VickersVicount
16th Dec 2021, 13:12
Maybe Christmas charters at this time?
Nope. Fully scheduled and bookable twice weekly Thur /Sun

mwm991
16th Dec 2021, 17:03
Took me an hour tonight to drive from the airport to Robroyston in rush hour traffic. I'd be quicker driving to EDI.

No wonder the airport is screwed.

nivsy
28th Dec 2021, 14:56
Nope. Fully scheduledtt and bookable twice weekly Thur /Sun
Air Transit now dropped all flights Jan and Feb? If so did not last long did they?

VickersVicount
28th Dec 2021, 20:14
Air Transit now dropped all flights Jan and Feb? If so did not last long did they?
Always planned to have 5 week break. Flights bookable to mid Jan and then late Feb 22 on A321LR.

nivsy
14th Jan 2022, 04:28
Eco friendly Glasgow -With quite a few negative reports recently on the airport and how it has in some ways deteriorated, it's nice to come across a good positive where new LED floodlights for the airfield will result in 25 percent efficiency.

A project is underway to swap the LED floodlights at Glasgow Airport’s airfield with a more sustainable model that is 25% more energy efficient.

Glasgow became the first airport in the world to upgrade to a fully LED-lit apron in compliance with the requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO). At the time, the move away from high-pressure sodium apron lighting improved energy efficiency by 60%.

Skipness One Foxtrot
14th Jan 2022, 18:45
How much less bright are they? New road lighting is nowhere near as bright as old school.

Downwind_Left
14th Jan 2022, 22:23
How much less bright are they? New road lighting is nowhere near as bright as old school.

Not sure what road you are referring to... but Glasgow is one of the few major airports without LED runway lights.

LED runway/taxiway lights are amazingly bright... the issue being at their lowest setting the LED lights on clear nights are a bit too bright and piercing. The yellow glow of the Glasgow runway lights is quite pleasant on occasion these days. Of course in Low-Viz you want the brighter LED lights shining through the fog. Can't have everything!

CabinCrewe
15th Jan 2022, 08:16
Not sure what road you are referring to...
One presumes ‘council roads’ where there is a steady transition to LED lighting. Infact my culdesac became so dark after change it needed formal light /lux assessment then further led upgrade.
Given the current rate of traffic at GLA, it might be a case of ‘last one to leave, turn the (filament) lights off’

CandyBender
15th Jan 2022, 09:07
I wonder if Air Transat are similar in pricing to Westjet on GLA-Canada routes - I was recently booking a trip to Canada for late July '22 & was all set to hit "Pay Now" for GLA-YYZ in Premium Y on the 737Max when an ad popped up on the Westjet site promoting 787 Business Class. Turns out J from LGW was nearly £90 cheaper one way than Y+ from GLA - plus I get higher Flying Blue XP & Miles due to the greater length/higher class of travel. Supply & demand I guess....

CabinCrewe
15th Jan 2022, 16:29
plus the added hassle of an indirect route both ways and added flight time.
Not sure I rate WJ ex LGW J service vs hassle value.

YVRscot
15th Jan 2022, 23:24
plus the added hassle of an indirect route both ways and added flight time.
Not sure I rate WJ ex LGW J service vs hassle value.

Having flown WestJet business class in their Dreamliners quite recently I can vouch that the experience is a cut above Premium on Air Transat. The price situation seems to be Transat holding up the prices on the (only) direct flight to/from GLA whereas WJ are deeply discounting their fares to/from LGW in competition with Transat. Now whither I'd want the hassle and extra journey time of changing at Gatwick compared to a 6.5hr non-stop flight - that has to be a personal choice. I think the prices on GLA - Canada routes will drop dramatically when there is some competition from WestJet in the summer months plus Air Canada from EDI and MAN.

VickersVicount
29th Apr 2022, 22:20
TS YYZ 4x week for S22 (originally listed as just 2x week) and up to 5/wk next summer.

YVRscot
29th Apr 2022, 22:45
TS YYZ 4x week for S22 (originally listed as just 2x week) and up to 5/wk next summer.
It wasn't all that long ago that they had daily flights (in summer) ex YYZ plus weekly A330s direct from Vancouver and Calgary. Even one season of flights non-stop from Montreal.
Has the VFF traffic dropped so dramatically? Or have they just found better yields elsewhere?

YVRscot
4th May 2022, 05:54
Non-stop flights from Halifax, Nova Scotia resumed yesterday May 3rd by Canadian airline WestJet. For the first time this year these flights will be accompanied by non-stop flights from Toronto using 737Max aircraft.

VickersVicount
4th May 2022, 07:40
wonder if YYZ will cannibalise YHZ or if there is/was enough capacity for both with the loss of the ACr 767.

CabinCrewe
22nd May 2022, 20:22
So are Transavia and Vueling ORY both gone from end of summer 22 - never to be seen again? Feast or famine.

Albert Hall
22nd May 2022, 21:09
Both the Vueling and Transavia on many of the UK-Orly routes were a disaster in the making. Neither would work, nor both together. Vueling would be far better serving a smaller number of routes well rather than a wide range of routes badly. And Transavia was simply a response to Vueling’s policy so equally doomed to fail.

nef
23rd May 2022, 10:04
Both the Vueling and Transavia on many of the UK-Orly routes were a disaster in the making. Neither would work, nor both together. Vueling would be far better serving a smaller number of routes well rather than a wide range of routes badly. And Transavia was simply a response to Vueling’s policy so equally doomed to fail.

Transavia were awarded slots for 2 weekly ORY-GLA back in December 2019 after Aigle Azur went bust - This was pre COVID and nearly 2 years before VY came onto the route:

https://www.cohor.org/en/ory-05122019-new-slot-pool-allocation/

This would surely indicate they were at least considering the route potentially as early as S20 (if COVID had not got in the way!), so I'm not really sure we can wholly can say that Transavia starting was a response to VY.

I understand that VY NCL-ORY appears to be ending in July, but GLA appears to be bookable through to the end of S22 - ​​Has their been some kind of announcement that this route is ceasing? The route is certainly not bookable for winter, but the flights for S22 were not put on sale till pretty late in the day.

Wrt to Transavia, afaik this was always intended to be seasonal. No flights are bookable for S23, but this also appears to be the case for their EDI-ORY route which has operated for a number of years.

Whilst I agree its maybe questionable having both VY and Transavia operating GLA-ORY, I don't particularly see why one or other operating a seasonal 2 weekly service is unsustainable tbh. It's been suggested that ORY serves a somewhat different catchment to the south of Paris.

Rusty Irish
23rd May 2022, 10:08
GLA. Where routes go to die. The worst run airport in the British Isles.

nivsy
23rd May 2022, 11:39
GLA. Where routes go to die. The worst run airport in the British Isles.
Probably not that far from the truth I'm afraid to say. Paris..they all want to try it and it never really works ..except EZY?

jdcg
23rd May 2022, 12:18
Could it be that Vueling and Transavia have no real traction within the UK, particularly outside of London, and so unattractive to Glaswegians etc? And i doubt there would be that many French people wanting to do a city break to Glasgow, magnificent though that city is.

ATNotts
23rd May 2022, 14:33
Could it be that Vueling and Transavia have no real traction within the UK, particularly outside of London, and so unattractive to Glaswegians etc? And i doubt there would be that many French people wanting to do a city break to Glasgow, magnificent though that city is.

There is an inherent problem with UK tourism, brought about by an over concentration of promotion on London in England and now Edinburgh in Scotland. I have visited Glasgow a number of times and found it to be an interesting city with plenty to keep tourists occupied for 2 or 3 days. Same can be said for cities in England such as Birmingham and Leeds but to your average inbound tourist the UK is London and Edinburgh so far as staying more than a day is concerned.

nef
23rd May 2022, 15:35

Except over the last decade or so Glasgow has consistently been the 5th or 6th most visited city in the UK by foreign visitors and has also for a large part of that time been the 3rd most visited city by those with a "holiday" visit purpose. This is from ONS data available here:

https://www.visitbritain.org/sites/default/files/vb-corporate/Documents-Library/documents/detailed_towns_data_2009_-_2019.xlsx

And that's before we consider Glasgow as the best air access point for large parts of the incredibly popular W Highlands and Islands. Most of the direct public transport links (both surface and air) to the W Highlands and and Islands operate from Glasgow rather than Edinburgh.

So whilst of course London and Edinburgh have considerably more demand, I think you're probably underestimating that to Glasgow.

Interestingly, pre COVID I saw figures that LH services to GLA were carrying 60% inbound, so I don't particularly see why flights from France should be wildly different.

I'm not sure about these two airlines having no UK traction - surely most people use price comparison sites, so the flights should still come up on a search?

I do generally agree with ATNotts comments and share some of the reservations that others have mentioned about GLA's current owners/management.

To come back to VY and Transavia, no-one has yet pointed to the announcement or other evidence that the flights in question are definitely been discontinued, so I'd be grateful if someone could link to it for me.

CabinCrewe
23rd May 2022, 16:56
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/japearson_transavia-france-will-end-glasgow-airport-activity-6934156531139547136-Ixq6

SWBKCB
23rd May 2022, 17:17
Interestingly, pre COVID I saw figures that LH services to GLA were carrying 60% inbound, so I don't particularly see why flights from France should be wildly different.

Are there large numbers of French students or a significant French diaspora in Glasgow?

nef
23rd May 2022, 20:37
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/japearson_transavia-france-will-end-glasgow-airport-activity-6934156531139547136-Ixq6

Thanks for posting the link.

Skipness One Foxtrot
23rd May 2022, 22:48
Glasgow as a city really has been sliding backwards. The once bussling Buchanan Galleries is looking to be closed and access to the airport is choked via the M8. I find the airport really easy to use, security usually top notch and a plethora of airbridge served stands and space to sit. But from being the UK's 4th / 5th busiest airport in the 90s, the relative decline is obvious now. It's back to core outbound sun routes, Loganair and a truncated UK domestic network with some loyal oldies like KLM and Icelandair. Lufthansa, who knows? So sad.
The growth of Edinburgh really has smacked Glasgow into the shade, it's now like Manchester, inbound attractions just don't sell it.

chaps1954
24th May 2022, 05:59
Strange Manchester has the 3rd biggest inbound tourist market behind London and Edinburgh

nef
12th Jul 2022, 14:39
Derek Provan stepping down as CEO of AGS next spring:

Glasgow Airport chief Derek Provan to exit AGS (https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/20271856.glasgow-airport-chief-derek-provan-exit-ags-exclusive-interview/)

Do we think this will change anything at the airport (or indeed their other airports at ABZ and SOU)?

VickersVicount
12th Jul 2022, 17:00
Jumped before pushed?

Rusty Irish
12th Jul 2022, 19:07
He did a terrible job. The amount of routes and airlines lost especially under his leadership is staggering.

However I think GLA's problems are deeper than Derek Provan. AGS as an organisation and their billionaire owners don't care. The terminal is a dump, the connectivity to Glasgow CC is poor, not competitive enough to retain low cost airlines, long haul carriers.

Then there's the political component. Between Brexit, APD, covid, political focus on propping up PIK in the west, the green agenda, absolutely no movement on the rail link. Its the worst political environment possible for the airport.

Also the growth of EDI has been hugely detrimental. Its scary when you compare the job GIP/Dewar have done versus AGS/Provan.

Skipness One Foxtrot
12th Jul 2022, 20:31
What makes you say the terminal is a dump? It has more space and is less claustrophic than EDI IMHO.

We can blame AGS til the cows come home but for me it's all about location. There was only ever, ever room for one major Scottish lowland airport. BAA made a strategic decision to support GLA at the expense of both PIK and EDI, (Joe Curry was right, I have changed my mind!). Once the focus of politics and economics moved East and EDI and GLA were both sold, the free market itself coalesced around EDI as it had a relatively stronger inbound market. That's not to say GLA can't make money, but when American and United have data for both, they've both swung East, Air Canada have data for all three and settled on EDI. That's a natural behaviour reflecting relative demand. Now AGS can discount all they like, but I suspect the airlines will continue to pay a premium to use EDI, who can offer a good introductory deal and show value in remaining with a relatively better performing route. GLA was my home airport once, but like PIK before it, the future isn't always the one you expect. They can do well and make good money, but I suspect always in the shadow of the capital now.

CabinCrewe
12th Jul 2022, 20:43
What makes you say the terminal is a dump?
When were you last in it? Last week there were closed outlets, half baked ‘pub’ / catering offerings, overflowing rubbish bins, not enough seating, no cashpoint, cars parked everywhere outwith spaces in car park, tatty pier carpets, unclean toilets, no air con, dirty windows.
I would say that was in the ‘dump’ category relatively speaking and depending on what you’re used to /benchmarking…

Skipness One Foxtrot
12th Jul 2022, 20:50
I last flew 3 Loganair sectors in May, it didn't seem that bad. There's loads of seating on the piers, just depends on how savvy you are. But fair point about the post COVID state, a refresh wouldn't go amiss but you can bet your bottom dollar budget won't be released for cosmetics given the state of the damage to the balance sheet.

BTW I love your "ex wife" tone you *always* take with me, I love you all the more for it xx

mwm991
12th Jul 2022, 21:10
When I was last in the airport a few weeks back the only place to buy water pre security was Starbucks which is appalling! The area entering security resembles an abandoned building site now. Place overall just feels tired to me. The check in area has looked the same all of my life.

Agree with the above on the mixture of politics, bad management, disinterested owners, growth of EDI.

However some things are definitely within their power. A start would be getting Ryanair back and improving access to the city centre. The 500 bus is a disgrace. I can get to EDI for the same price on a nice coach as opposed to a dirty cramped irregular bus service that might as well be a number 57 or 61.

Don't think we are even at rock bottom yet sadly.

Skipness One Foxtrot
13th Jul 2022, 01:01
The 500 bus has become a shocking example of price gouging, agreed. The check in area is actually iconic to me, as it has the original Basil Spence terminal above, I always loved that. Reminds me of younger days!
The rebalancing of landside vs airside made the upper level above check in redundant. It was a Harry Ramsden's once, bustling with people BUT they wanted people airside and having accomplised that, much of landside has become redundant.

There's no ROI for a rail link now, pretty much zero. They may well come to terms with Ryanair, they may well have to. Am I wrong to be relaxed about managed decline? I can't see a way back when EDI dominates so in the medium term. There is so much overlap in catchment areas and routes.

ATNotts
13th Jul 2022, 07:30
Strange Manchester has the 3rd biggest inbound tourist market behind London and Edinburgh
Rather depends on how 'tourist' is defined. When I worked on a study for Visit England an over night for a business meeting seemed to qualify. what the criteria for tourism is in the ONS Passenger Survey I don't know.

mwm991
13th Jul 2022, 07:36
The 500 bus has become a shocking example of price gouging, agreed. The check in area is actually iconic to me, as it has the original Basil Spence terminal above, I always loved that. Reminds me of younger days!
The rebalancing of landside vs airside made the upper level above check in redundant. It was a Harry Ramsden's once, bustling with people BUT they wanted people airside and having accomplised that, much of landside has become redundant.

There's no ROI for a rail link now, pretty much zero. They may well come to terms with Ryanair, they may well have to. Am I wrong to be relaxed about managed decline? I can't see a way back when EDI dominates so in the medium term. There is so much overlap in catchment areas and routes.
The whole area west of the city north of the M8 needs rail because of the congestion. You've got a so-called super hospital with horrendous public access and I believe Renfrew is the largest town in Scotland without a rail link, so I think it could be viable if it incorporates other things, but despite the posturing about the environment there's no sign of anything happening.

nighthawk117
13th Jul 2022, 09:12
(Joe Curry was right, I have changed my mind!).

are we allowed to mention that name on here? :ouch:
Is he still on the go?

Richard Taylor
13th Jul 2022, 09:28
JC was a real wind-up merch as I remember! :}

chaps1954
13th Jul 2022, 10:12
When I was out in Manchester on Saturday it was heaving with non UK people in NQ who had been out in city for the day plus the many who wander a bit distant
and hotels are all very busy

Skipness One Foxtrot
13th Jul 2022, 16:49
https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2317

By way of contrast....

CabinCrewe
13th Jul 2022, 17:11
BTW I love your "ex wife" tone you *always* take with me, I love you all the more for it xx
What are you **wittering** on about now… ?

nef
13th Jul 2022, 18:16
He did a terrible job. The amount of routes and airlines lost especially under his leadership is staggering.

However I think GLA's problems are deeper than Derek Provan. AGS as an organisation and their billionaire owners don't care. The terminal is a dump, the connectivity to Glasgow CC is poor, not competitive enough to retain low cost airlines, long haul carriers.

I think you've summed it up pretty well there imo. Undoubtedly they face a difficult market with COVID and economic issues, but these apply in many other cases to EDI and other UK airports that seem to do better.

The public ownership of PIK is almost certainly unhelpful, but I think we shouldn't overstate it. Even now at peak summer PIK appears to have only 5-6 deps/day and in winter it can be 1 or 2/day......and these are FR flights that probably pay very little to use the facility, with pax that spend not very much in the terminal. Is that operation really significantly hurting GLA? - and how many airlines other than FR could credibly claim to be considering flying to PIK in order to get a better deal/push down charges at GLA? Surely very few, if any?

Nevertheless, I think GLA is now the only one out of the top 9 or 10 regionals in the UK that doesn't have an FR base and imo it's difficult to see how it can afford for that to be the case.

As an external observer it appeared to me that the airport did better when the previous MD/AGS CEO Amanda McMillan was in post. It seemed they had a more coordinated multi-agency approach to attracting routes and airlines. She departed quite suddenly a few years ago and since then it's been downhill.

mwm991
13th Jul 2022, 18:41
I think you've summed it up pretty well there imo. Undoubtedly they face a difficult market with COVID and economic issues, but these apply in many other cases to EDI and other UK airports that seem to do better.

The public ownership of PIK is almost certainly unhelpful, but I think we shouldn't overstate it. Even now at peak summer PIK appears to have only 5-6 deps/day and in winter it can be 1 or 2/day......and these are FR flights that probably pay very little to use the facility, with pax that spend not very much in the terminal. Is that operation really significantly hurting GLA? - and how many airlines other than FR could credibly claim to be considering flying to PIK in order to get a better deal/push down charges at GLA? Surely very few, if any?

Nevertheless, I think GLA is now the only one out of the top 9 or 10 regionals in the UK that doesn't have an FR base and imo it's difficult to see how it can afford for that to be the case.

As an external observer it appeared to me that the airport did better when the previous MD/AGS CEO Amanda McMillan was in post. It seemed they had a more coordinated multi-agency approach to attracting routes and airlines. She departed quite suddenly a few years ago and since then it's been downhill.
Good point about McMillan. I think passenger numbers peaked in 14 or 15 or so, then Provan came in and the rot set in, even before various political and world events occurred.

Ryanair clearly don't value Glasgow/the West. If you combine their GLA/PIK ops its still very small. Ryanair would rather take a stab on routes from EDI to provincial airports in Europe than GLA/PIK to various parts of the Med. O'Leary has publicly slagged the airport, region and the political climate here quite a few times. If PIK shut down tomorrow the based aircraft would not come to GLA IMO. It would be going to EDI or elsewhere.

I don't think wev'e seen the end of the cuts. Icelandair now down to seasonal less than daily. Just about hanging onto the Canadian flights with Westjet following the US carriers and pitching up out east. Although Transat seem very loyal to GLA.

nighthawk117
14th Jul 2022, 08:22
Although Transat seem very loyal to GLA.

The Air Transat flights are more likely outbound tourism, sold as package holidays through travel agencies. Glasgow tends to perform well in outbound leisure destination flights due to its larger catchment area.

The marketplace is certainly shifting towards Edinburgh, but Glasgow will always have a role to play. Long-haul will probably switch primarily to Edinburgh, with maybe one or two seasonal US flights remaining at Glasgow, plus links to popular outbound destinations (Florida, The Caribbean, Canada). European holiday hotspots will always be well covered from Glasgow, as will most popular city break destinations. Edinburgh will attract a few more business oriented city destinations in Europe.

Rusty Irish
23rd Sep 2022, 17:57
Quite damning to see Delta go for another shot at Edinburgh to Atlanta. Just shows the transatlantic big boys don't have any faith in the market. Can't see direct regular service to Glasgow from the States ever again. Not counting some irregular peak season service with no connectivity to the middle of nowhere in Florida.

The Scottish Government and AGS have killed the place. All aboard the 500 bus to deaths door. Via the M8 traffic jam.

GrahamK
24th Sep 2022, 08:16
Not sure how you think the SG have killed GLA. Piss poor management within GLA has killed GLA, and a strong and ruthless team at EDI has taken advantage. Do they even have a route development team? When the likes of BRS (no offence to them) have overtaken GLA, you know theres a problem somewhere

CabinCrewe
24th Sep 2022, 10:15
swings and roundabouts.. 15 years ago picture was very different, 15 years (even 10) in future the landscape will be very different. Just takes one small thing like sale of EDI, change of management, new low cost competitor, collapse of VS, fall out with DL, major recession, the @rse falling out of inbound tourism and things will change.
Enjoy things while they last Id say (esp ATL !)

mwm991
24th Sep 2022, 10:38
Not sure how you think the SG have killed GLA. Piss poor management within GLA has killed GLA, and a strong and ruthless team at EDI has taken advantage. Do they even have a route development team? When the likes of BRS (no offence to them) have overtaken GLA, you know theres a problem somewhere
No rail link, public money getting sent to PIK (laughable we have two commercial airports in a weak market), OTT covid restrictions that resulted in losses that'll never recover, no cut in APD, a green agenda that is firmly anti aviation.

The political and business environment is appalling, but that's only one part of it. Under Derek Provan's watch the airport has lost millions in traffic, the terminal is a dump that looks the same as it did decades ago, the public transport connectivity to Glasgow might even be weaker than EDI.

Ferrovial/Macquarie don't care. Its make a profit by spending as little as possible, to the detriment of the people who would actually need to use it. They've driven me to the train for UK travel and EDI for everything else. GIP and Dewar must be pissing themselves at the open goal they've been given.

Flightrider
24th Sep 2022, 12:06
Quite damning to see Delta go for another shot at Edinburgh to Atlanta. Just shows the transatlantic big boys don't have any faith in the market. Can't see direct regular service to Glasgow from the States ever again.

I can't see it that way. Edinburgh is a stronger incoming market and Glasgow has historically been a stronger outgoing market. With the US dollar exchange rate heavily favouring inbound customers for the present, Edinburgh is bound to do better for US/Canada inbound traffic as barely anyone from the UK will be able to afford to go the other way! For much the same reason, the growth is from DL into the UK and not by VS into the US.

Rusty Irish
3rd Dec 2022, 11:25
Westjet the latest to call it quits at GLA.

AGS need to get to **** before they do anymore damage.

VickersVicount
3rd Dec 2022, 12:59
…meanwhile, Air Transat expanding their GLA YYZ offering for next year up to 6/wk with mix A330 and A321 for S23. Perhaps more consistent than the WJ chopping and changing. Their plan to shift from YYZ is a little risky I might argue. YYC is even more seasonal than YYZ for this sort of market. WJ have a nice product and I did like their niche YHZ service.

tictack67
3rd Dec 2022, 15:35
…meanwhile, Air Transat expanding their GLA YYZ offering for next year up to 6/wk with mix A330 and A321 for S23. Perhaps more consistent than the WJ chopping and changing. Their plan to shift from YYZ is a little risky I might argue. YYC is even more seasonal than YYZ for this sort of market. WJ have a nice product and I did like their niche YHZ service.

The whole point is The WestJet Group is making Calgary its home base and exclusive global connecting hub with all its 787 "Dreamliners flying through YYC Calgary International Airport.

" means Calgary will be the only place where we will intentionally facilitate connections"

Friend recently flew Dublin to Vancouver with connection in Calgary

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Dec 2022, 15:55
WestJet proved that local point to point GLA-YHZ does still have a place in the 2020s, perhaps a peak summer option for Transat to have a look at on the A321NEO?
That leaves GLA with no transatlantic long haul aside from Air Transat now?
Seeing that Ryanair haven't put summer 23 from PIK on sale yet, you'd hope GLA will at least try for a deal as negotiations continue?

VickersVicount
3rd Dec 2022, 16:10
The whole point is The WestJet Group is making Calgary its home base
Yes we are all aware what their point is. As I said it remains risky IMO and happy to review the success of it in a few years.

YVRscot
3rd Dec 2022, 18:49
Yes we are all aware what their point is. As I said it remains risky IMO and happy to review the success of it in a few years.

Only 4 years ago Glasgow had seasonal weekly non stops from both Vancouver and Calgary. Montreal too for one season. WestJet's withdrawal to Calgary and Transat's abandonment of western Canada leaves big gaps in service. Even alternatives such as Icelandair ( once daily from Vancouver and Edmonton) are now not so frequent in a shorter season. No one in western Canada wants a transfer at Toronto, recently voted North America's worst transfer airport. I'd rather give Heathrow and Amsterdam a miss too. Maybe Dublin will be the gateway?

tictack67
4th Dec 2022, 10:57

Actually I'm not sure you do, you said YYC is seasonal. YYC will be their international connecting hub so it's not for YYC alone but other parts of Canada incl ski market.

muggins
5th Dec 2022, 10:55
Security alert at Glasgow this morning due to a suspicious package in a passenger's luggage, with the navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal in attendance. Check-in and security areas evacuated.
From the Herald:
A Police Scotland statement spokesperson said: "Around 5.55 am on Monday, 5 December 2022, police were called to a report of a suspicious item within the security search hall of Glasgow Airport.

"The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is in attendance and a cordon is now in place. Staff and members of the public have been moved from the check-in area to the multi-storey car park. Police and emergency services remain at the scene."
ongoing at 12.00

Glasgow Airport passengers evacuated amid police lockdown - BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-63856944)

edit: staff and passengers allowed back into the terminal at 12.30. The item was found to be 'innocent in nature'

tartan 201
13th Jan 2023, 09:55
A380 back on Emirates' service from 26th March
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1711x477/screenshot_2023_01_13_105427_68e4a13a0f27b66f06127776810646c 350e28f02.jpg

ld0595
13th Jan 2023, 14:03
Finally some positive news for GLA. Onwards and upwards to twice daily

Skipness One Foxtrot
13th Jan 2023, 15:30
Finally some positive news for GLA. Onwards and upwards to twice daily
The second daily is landing at EDI I imagine...... ( 1/2 joking)

nivsy
18th Jan 2023, 01:52
The second daily is landing at EDI I imagine...... ( 1/2 joking)
Yes it might be a joke that comes to bite GLA!! 😂😆. Not been through the airport for ages (as away in Australia) but when I pop in by in August I hope it has been spruced up a bit.

VickersVicount
18th Jan 2023, 09:39
Yes it might be a joke that comes to bite GLA!! 😂😆. Not been through the airport for ages (as away in Australia) but when I pop in by in August I hope it has been spruced up a bit.
It hasn’t, its as bad as it was when you left… barring some Jet2 benidormer filled pubs 🙄

Meanwhile the Scottish EasyJet deckchairs continue to be shuffled. Venice gone, Lisbon in, (though why anyone would want to leave Lisbon at 0600 to return home is recipe for failure, if its going to be more outbound aimed).

nivsy
18th Jan 2023, 11:18
Oh dear....dire! 🫣

tictack67
3rd Feb 2023, 05:41
After an absence of 13 years Greggs to return to Glasgow Airport in April.

To open in the former Cafe Mozzo near international arrivals with seating for 50, and an outdoor seating area.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1174x600/119144248_2626550040993508_3956844102229382049_o_2_e068e722c a576c503c3b505f39ebda075a7834bf.jpg

QEC
3rd Feb 2023, 07:07
After an absence of 13 years Greggs to return to Glasgow Airport in April.

To open in the former Cafe Mozzo near international arrivals with seating for 50, and an outdoor seating area.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1174x600/119144248_2626550040993508_3956844102229382049_o_2_e068e722c a576c503c3b505f39ebda075a7834bf.jpg
Says it all about GLA now really, sad, pretty much a backwater nowadays, why did it all go so wrong?

BA318
3rd Feb 2023, 07:41
Says it all about GLA now really, sad, pretty much a backwater nowadays, why did it all go so wrong?

What is the need for such snobbery? Not everyone wants to eat at Caviar House at the airport. Greggs is also opening at LGW.

Richard Taylor
3rd Feb 2023, 08:23
I'd just say EDI has been & is actively pursuing airlines & routes. GLA (& my local ABZ) are after steak bakes. Says it all indeed about AGS Airports.

SWBKCB
3rd Feb 2023, 08:27
What is the need for such snobbery? Not everyone wants to eat at Caviar House at the airport. Greggs is also opening at LGW.

It's the normal Pprune response to what pax actually want. Surely all anybody wants at an airport is to grab an espresso, a copy of the FT and somewhere to charge their laptop/iphone?

SouthernAlliance
3rd Feb 2023, 08:53
I'd just say EDI has been & is actively pursuing airlines & routes. GLA (& my local ABZ) are after steak bakes. Says it all indeed about AGS Airports.

That doesn’t bode well then for SOU chasing new airlines and routes?

jensdad
4th Feb 2023, 01:19

My local, NCL, has a branch of Greggs (and the same advertising hoarding as the one in the graphic) but they've got two new operations (Lingus to Belfast and Aegean to Athens) in the last month or so. One can actively pursue steak bakes and actively pursue new routes at the same time :)

nivsy
4th Feb 2023, 03:14
Not snobbery it's an airport that is failing in aircraft operations yet no worry it has a Gregg's!! Shame it's not concentrating on getting flights rather than fat pies.

SWBKCB
4th Feb 2023, 05:44
Not snobbery it's an airport that is failing in aircraft operations yet no worry it has a Gregg's!! Shame it's not concentrating on getting flights rather than fat pies.

As Jensdads post indicates, the two aren't exclusive

LTNman
4th Feb 2023, 06:02
Know your market. Luton had a champagne bar that soon closed when the champagne could cost more than the passengers airline ticket.

Greggs will do well at Glasgow. Luton doesn’t have a Greggs, does it mean Luton is still more upmarket when comparing the two? Time to find the tin hat!

N707ZS
4th Feb 2023, 07:46
Perhaps Glasgow are going to try and attract the bucket and spade passengers from across the border.

Jamesair1
4th Feb 2023, 08:01
I should hope NCL does have a Greggs!......The company's Headquarters are in Newcastle and it is one the most successful catering companies in the UK.

QEC
4th Feb 2023, 08:52
The way it's going imho it's only a matter of time before there are calls to resurrect the the EARL plans seeing GLA these days is more or less a poor provincial airport with not very much iwo connectivity to anywhere useful.

nivsy
4th Feb 2023, 09:24
The way it's going imho it's only a matter of time before there are calls to resurrect the the EARL plans seeing GLA these days is more or less a poor provincial airport with not very much iwo connectivity to anywhere useful.
Agreed.

willy wombat
4th Feb 2023, 10:50
What is EARL?

QEC
4th Feb 2023, 10:53
What is EARL?

Edinburgh Airport Rail Link.

tictack67
23rd Feb 2023, 16:40
New pancake house to open at Glasgow Airport.

Best of luck to them, but come on Glasgow, its routes we need.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/scottish-news/23335526.pancake-house-stack-still-open-glasgow-airport/?ref=socialflow​

Richard Taylor
23rd Feb 2023, 16:49
I would have suggested a waffle house... but the owners have more than enough waffle to go round.......... :oh:

GSM763
24th Feb 2023, 13:37
The James Martin Kitchen branding has gone on the outlet at the top of the old international security ramp. Now branded as the generic 'Café Bar' (the same as the outlet at the BA gates on the central pier).

QEC
28th Feb 2023, 13:00
Another nail in Glasgows coffin -

"The new Scottish Citylink service 902 will operate hourly, connecting Glasgow, Bargeddie, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Chapelhall, Harthill, Heartlands, Livingston and Edinburgh Airport, starting on March 6."

billyg
28th Feb 2023, 15:51
Another nail in Glasgows coffin -

"The new Scottish Citylink service 902 will operate hourly, connecting Glasgow, Bargeddie, Coatbridge, Airdrie, Chapelhall, Harthill, Heartlands, Livingston and Edinburgh Airport, starting on March 6."
The one thing that puts airport connecting pax off is en-route off-motorway stops , no thanks !

inOban
28th Feb 2023, 16:26
But there's already a direct Glasgow to Edinburgh Airport coach. The 902 will provide a coach from Glasgow to the towns above, and restores a service from these towns to EDI for staff as well as PAX. I would be surprised if many passengers from these places use GLA,

mwm991
28th Feb 2023, 19:17
It's hardly a secret that EDI management are far more proactive at courting passengers. I bet the Citylink bus will be a far more comfortable experience than the GLA 500 cattle wagon.

Yeehaw22
28th Feb 2023, 19:56
It's hardly a secret that EDI management are far more proactive at courting passengers.

That may be true but also you can't change geography. I was in Edinburgh at the weekend and even during off season the number of foreign tourists was staggering. You are never going to get that in Glasgow to anywhere near the same extent.

OntimeexceptACARS
4th Mar 2023, 15:46
Anyone know the reason for a Gulf Air Dreamliner visit today, 4 March? Apparently from/to LHR.

fanrailuk
6th Mar 2023, 13:11
https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/1632741327925387264?s=46&t=3eix0BTK7C13J3FoL3oePQ

ld0595
6th Mar 2023, 13:44
Quite surprised about that to be honest. It's not exactly a route that Glasgow was crying out for and I do hope it doesn't drive Icelandair away.

renfrew
6th Mar 2023, 16:21
They will be looking for passengers connecting on to North America.

SealinkBF
6th Mar 2023, 16:28
Quite surprised about that to be honest. It's not exactly a route that Glasgow was crying out for and I do hope it doesn't drive Icelandair away.

I can't remember if WOW or Iceland Express flew from Glasgow?

ld0595
6th Mar 2023, 16:38

So are Icelandair. Does Glasgow have enough of a market to fit both operators?

I can't remember if WOW or Iceland Express flew from Glasgow?

​​​​​​​WOW flew from Edinburgh, not sure about Iceland Express.

VickersVicount
6th Mar 2023, 16:51
So are Icelandair. Does Glasgow have enough of a market to fit both operators?

WOW flew from Edinburgh, not sure about Iceland Express.
With very little direct to US and > 8K previously using direct EWR then I doubt FI has soaked that all up. Get impression Play more ‘low cost’ than legacy FI so perhaps different clientele and hence why not direct competition with EZY at EDI.

Rutan16
6th Mar 2023, 18:06

Nope just Icelanders doing the shopping run actually.

Far far better recovery and ( lower losses) on the point to point than those transiting

Their fare structure is dire and the management know well enough.

QEC
10th Mar 2023, 07:53
Looks like United starting a twice daily EWR flight from EDI using the old GLA Flight Number, nothing like rubbing salt in the wound, highly unlikely they'll ever be back at GLA now.

VickersVicount
10th Mar 2023, 10:59
but was previously twice daily, so not sure that logic follows. Flight no’s mean zilch. Never say never!

tictack67
10th Mar 2023, 11:54
easyJet route withdrawals.
​​​​-Venice
-Pula
-Marseille
​​​​​​Seasonal only now
-Jersey
-Lisbon
-Porto

inOban
10th Mar 2023, 12:38
Were Venice etc meant to operate this summer? Because only Venice is flown from Edinburgh. ryanair go to Marseille from Edinburgh but I don't think anyone else serves Pula

tictack67
10th Mar 2023, 16:54
Were Venice etc meant to operate this summer? Because only Venice is flown from Edinburgh. ryanair go to Marseille from Edinburgh but I don't think anyone else serves Pula

​​​​​​These are route cancellations from Glasgow, and conversion to seasonal for others.

​​​​​Flights still operating from Edinburgh is no compensation for loss of routes at Glasgow

inOban
10th Mar 2023, 17:13
Flights from Edinburgh are better than having to travel to Manchester, surely. I agree it's disappointing.

Monkton3
10th Mar 2023, 17:32
Ryanair recently announced Marseille from Prestwick.
Twice weekly from 26 March.
I wonder if that influenced easyJet's decision?

inOban
10th Mar 2023, 18:23
Very probably. AIUI Ryanair's routes from Prestwick are largely a means if rotating frames through their maintenance base there. ie the frame which operates the return flight to Marseille is likely to be a different one. So the flight revenue is less important, just avoids an empty leg.

I wonder if the spare rotations will be used by Easyjet to increase flights to more profitable destinations. They've been saying that bookings on their holiday arm are above expectations

VickersVicount
10th Mar 2023, 18:24
Ryanair recently announced Marseille from Prestwick.
Twice weekly from 26 March.
I wonder if that influenced easyJet's decision?
I don’t think there is any wondering about it… barely enough for one operator on that route never mind two

Monkton3
10th Mar 2023, 18:55
[QUOTE=inOban;11399115]Very probably. AIUI Ryanair's routes from Prestwick are largely a means if rotating frames through their maintenance base there. ie the frame which operates the return flight to Marseille is likely to be a different one. So the flight revenue is less important, just avoids an empty leg.

Unlikely. The crew are going to be working extra hard to offload pax, change aircraft and reload catering and board new pax all in their timetabled 25 minute turnarounds at Prestwick.
I live in Monkton and have never once have seen an aircraft changeover there as you describe.

inOban
10th Mar 2023, 19:12
I stand corrected, but of course there's no need for the incoming crew to transfer the catering. That would be preloaded by ground staff who would then unload the incoming plane.

Skipness One Foxtrot
10th Mar 2023, 21:27
Very probably. AIUI Ryanair's routes from Prestwick are largely a means if rotating frames through their maintenance base there. ie the frame which operates the return flight to Marseille is likely to be a different one. So the flight revenue is less important, just avoids an empty leg.

I wonder if the spare rotations will be used by Easyjet to increase flights to more profitable destinations. They've been saying that bookings on their holiday arm are above expectations
That's not true. The maintenance base is a huge asset to keep Ryanair passenger ops at PIK but given what they're paying I suspect they make money in their own. It's what, one aircraft switched out per week for all those rotations? 2-3?

QEC
11th Mar 2023, 07:32

Not true, PAM all but closes down for 3 months over the summer with very little in the way of aircraft swaps happening as the 737's are fully utilised during the peak summer season.

QEC
12th Mar 2023, 19:49
From another thread - "US Pre-Clearance - As mentioned by other contributors, EDI do appear to be pushing ahead with a genuine attempt to obtain US Pre-Clearance. S25 is the suggested start time if they succeed. Finance is in place for the application with detailed plans being drawn up for a redevelopment of the terminal to house the TSA area."

That'll be the end of any thoughts of a US of A's airlines comeback to GLA probably, centralisation it is then unless we get rid.

CabinCrewe
12th Mar 2023, 22:22
TSA Pre clearance is a pipe dream if you ask me. First mooted 10 years ago… and we’ll prob not hear anymore for another 10 years. The yearly running costs are substantial for year round ops.

nighthawk117
14th Mar 2023, 09:21
EDI are apparently investing £5m in the next stage of the project - commissioning a design study on a terminal expansion to accommodate it, so they do seem to be serious.

goldeneye
14th Mar 2023, 10:27
EK to bring the A380 back this summer.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/emirates-to-run-119-uk-dubai-flights-a-week-this-summer

CabinCrewe
26th Mar 2023, 13:54
seems lots of spotter excitement and YouTube live feed of the return of Emirates A380 on DXB-GLA run this afternoon. Full full full by all accounts.

Asturias56
26th Mar 2023, 16:46
And good coverage on the BBC web site

4eyed anorak
25th Apr 2023, 08:12
Nice upgrade in capacity for FI

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/230425-figla

Regards 4ea

inOban
25th Apr 2023, 10:22
With no direct flights to the USA there will be increased demand for flights via Iceland, which was the traditional route when direct TA flights had to use PIK. Fares also undercut the direct flights.

nebpor
25th Apr 2023, 14:03
That's caught my attention - I had written off Icelandic due to reviews by friends who had flown them. I'd reconsider for a 767, assuming I can pick up a 767 for the second leg as well.

Beats going to EDI!

VickersVicount
25th Apr 2023, 15:22
as very early in season for short spell, suspect its fleet availability and allocation rather than massive upswing in demand during that period.
Its a nice looking aircraft, one ex GSM if I recall and no stranger to GLA. Maybe flooding market before Play drops in.

laviation
25th Apr 2023, 16:57
Definitely a warning shot to PLAY. Play have done very well on the Liverpool route launched last year. Will be nice to see Glasgow get a cheaper one-stop option across the Atlantic

Skipness One Foxtrot
25th Apr 2023, 23:09
That's caught my attention - I had written off Icelandic due to reviews by friends who had flown them. I'd reconsider for a 767, assuming I can pick up a 767 for the second leg as well.

Beats going to EDI!
PLEASE be aware that Icelandair can easily swap out the B767 for a B757 with no notice! Don't book on that basis unless you're happy to run that (kinda high) risk. My first flight booking on a CS100 (Swiss) just changed to an E2 (Helvetic) yesterday. 🤷‍♂️

SWBKCB
26th Apr 2023, 06:15
as very early in season for short spell, suspect its fleet availability and allocation rather than massive upswing in demand during that period.

But they've still chosen to put that capacity into GLA, rather than anywhere else in the network?

Definitely a warning shot to PLAY. Play have done very well on the Liverpool route launched last year. Will be nice to see Glasgow get a cheaper one-stop option across the Atlantic

Play load factor about 60% out of LPL?

QEC
11th May 2023, 16:55
TSA Pre clearance is a pipe dream if you ask me. First mooted 10 years ago… and we’ll prob not hear anymore for another 10 years. The yearly running costs are substantial for year round ops.

This definately needs keeping a careful eye on seeing the Scottish Executive's propensity for centralisation of just about everything, wouldn't be surprised if "Visit <cough> Scotland" didn't have a hand to play in this as well, and beware of "commercial confidentiality" rebuffs if questions are asked, and most definately the coup de grâce for Glasgow Transatlantic aspirations if this were to happen unfortunately.

farci
11th May 2023, 20:53
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/easyjet-passenger-ends-up-flight-8433084

farci
12th May 2023, 08:42
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/easyjet-passenger-ends-up-flight-8433084
Surely such a mixup should be impossible? Can somebody explain to me how this could happen at GLA?

tictack67
12th May 2023, 09:09
Surely such a mixup should be impossible? Can somebody explain to me how this could happen at GLA?

It should have also been picked up on the Bristol flight being one extra passenger over the loadsheet.

One with special assistance too, poor thing.

billyg
12th May 2023, 20:12

There was an unreported similar incident at the weekend , involving other Scottish airports , and involving passenger(s) on the wrong flight , which ended with that a/c being diverted due fog and the airline having to pay a £400+ taxi fare for said passenger(s) to reach their intended destination!

ATNotts
12th May 2023, 21:49
If passengers had brains and used them it probably wouldn't!

jensdad
12th May 2023, 23:20
Don't know if you've read the article but the lady was a special assistance passenger. Might want to reconsider that comment?

ATNotts
13th May 2023, 08:02
Don't know if you've read the article but the lady was a special assistance passenger. Might want to reconsider that comment?
Remark was really regarding the apparent other example mentioned by #Billy, even so, requiring assistance with boarding doesn't in any way suggest that the passenger in question would be incapable of flagging up the error to the staff assisting them. Mobility issues don't necessarily go hand in hand with mental capacity.

The story originated in a 'Reach' title, notorious for clickbait, poor journalism and are rarely worth the bandwidth to read. It would be interesting to hear the unfortunate passenger's side of the story.

jensdad
13th May 2023, 18:47
Remark was really regarding the apparent other example mentioned by #Billy, even so, requiring assistance with boarding doesn't in any way suggest that the passenger in question would be incapable of flagging up the error to the staff assisting them. Mobility issues don't necessarily go hand in hand with mental capacity.

The story originated in a 'Reach' title, notorious for clickbait, poor journalism and are rarely worth the bandwidth to read. It would be interesting to hear the unfortunate passenger's side of the story.
No problem, AT. Yes, 'Reach' titles aren't much cop in my part of the world either.

Breathe
17th May 2023, 17:15
There's an interview with the new CEO of AGS Airports regarding Glasgow Airport. He's sounding quite bullish about new getting new routes.

Getting links to CDG and IST with Air France and Turkish and their vast network of routes and a scheduled link to USA you would hope be in the plans at the very least.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/23527098.glasgow-airport-boss-andy-cliffe-powerful-city-not-punching-weight/

Mr Cliffe said of Glasgow: “I think it is a fabulous city and I hadn’t visited enough before I arrived. I think there are just huge opportunities to grow that and develop it still further.”

Referring to his ambitions to build routes, he said: “North American connections we will target coming back, European paired destinations we will target coming back.”

He flagged potential for new services to Germany, the north of Italy, and Spanish cities such as Madrid, focused on “real business and trade” rather than the leisure market.

Noting recent successes for the airport with package holiday operator TUI, which is basing an additional two planes at the airport from summer next year, and Jet2, Mr Cliffe added: “We serve the leisure market extremely well. I think what I am describing…is our connectivity to support economic development and growth right across the region.”

He highlighted the importance of “connectivity, so we get the kind of economic growth we are looking for”.

laviation
17th May 2023, 18:41
Transat to go from 2 to 3 weekly on GLA-YYZ during winter season. A321 operating.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for my thoughts on getting US flights back, I think that will be down to the likes of JetBlue, Aer Lingus or even Norse.

I believe Glasgow is the intended Scottish destination for JetBlue over Edinburgh - they face no competition flying to GLA.

I could see Aer Lingus UK base one or two A321LR at Glasgow to compliment their Manchester offering - New York and potentially Boston.

United and Delta are well settled at Edinburgh now. As far as they see it, slapping more capacity on Edinburgh routes is a more attractive proposition than launching a whole new route to Glasgow. As for American, they'll return to Edinburgh from Philadelphia at some point.

I think that for GLA, sadly, the boat has already sailed on the return of the US legacy carriers. They've allowed Edinburgh to snap up a really good offering. WestJet is the latest in a string of losses to EDI

The "current economic situation" argument does not apply here. It applies at Manchester where there is no current offering nearby, paired with to the heavily outbound nature of the airport. Glasgow, while also being quite an outbound market, has Edinburgh up the road. Once the economic situation improves, the US legacies will remain at Edinburgh. There is no reason from their point of view to go back to Glasgow.

ld0595
17th May 2023, 18:48
Have you got a source for TS going four weekly? The booking engine is still showing 3 weekly in November / December dropping to once weekly from mid-January to the end of March. I don't recall it being any more frequent than once weekly in winter recent years.

laviation
17th May 2023, 18:50
Typo - they have gone from 2 to 3 per week. Apologies

willy wombat
18th May 2023, 07:29
I have some difficulty seeing most US transatlantic returning to GLA because it currently is so inbound dominated and Edinburgh (city rather than airport) is the draw. A few years ago the EDI MD joked that EDI was also “GLA East”. Maybe GLA needs to add “EDI West” to its marketing. It’s a shame GLA lost VS as MCO certainly should be OK from GLA.

VickersVicount
18th May 2023, 08:20
VS as MCO certainly should be OK from GLA.
Yes if you look at numbers carried by VS at GLA vs current EDI there is a huge difference. Will be interesting to see loads on the A350 leisure config which is positioning from MAN high summer this year as don’t think the A330 was anywhere near full.

Asturias56
18th May 2023, 08:21

Its not always passengers to blame - I can remember one day at LHR BAA had decided to board a Kenya Airways flight and SAS to Oslo through the same airbridge at the same time

No-one was checking boarding passes and in the kerfuffle a few passengers for each destination finished up on the wrong aircraft. The CC went round asking people with big anoraks if they really were going on safari and those with colorful, batik style wraps if they were looking forward to paying £10 a pint for beer in Norway. All got sorted eventually................

VickersVicount
26th May 2023, 12:22
First Play flight to KEF today.

CabinCrewe
30th May 2023, 14:52
Loganair Donegal increased from 2 to 3 week, now Wed / Sat / Sun. EQV

GeorgeNTravels
10th Jun 2023, 16:49
Some changes this winter, breakdown by airline below.

easyJet UK

Jersey reinstated 2x week
Alicante reduced from 7 to 3 weekly
Birmingham reduced from 13 to 8 weekly
Agadir reduced from 2 to 1 weekly
Berlin reduced from 3 to 2 weekly

easyJet Switzerland

Additional Geneva rotation added on Friday (route now 4 weekly)

easyJet Europe

Barcelona operates 2x week (was summer only)
Lisbon operates 2x week (was summer only)

CDG is now operating at up to 12 weekly with additional EZY and EJU flights.

Ryanair

Two additional weekly Dublin flights added

TUI

Verona flights transfer from EDI to GLA operating 1x week

A350Saltire
16th Jun 2023, 21:31
Has Play dropped made reductions already? Appears to go down to 2 per week in July unless I am mistaken?

ld0595
16th Jun 2023, 23:25
Has Play dropped made reductions already? Appears to go down to 2 per week in July unless I am mistaken?

Looks like it to me. It was supposed to drop to three times weekly in September and twice weekly in October.

tartan 201
17th Jun 2023, 05:11

Also as I type, the latest bookable date for their GLA service is the 2nd January 2024. Their other flights to destinations in the British Isles are currently bookable until April (LPL) and June (STN and DUB).

billyg
17th Jun 2023, 08:31
By upgrading to the B763 , Icelandair were obviously keen to see them off the route asap , they've made the route work for close on 70 years , GLA will have bigger fish to fry in the coming months!

nivsy
14th Jul 2023, 06:31
By upgrading to the B763 , Icelandair were obviously keen to see them off the route asap , they've made the route work for close on 70 years , GLA will have bigger fish to fry in the coming months!
Seems to me the only bigger fish frying at Glasgow is in the chippie shops. The airport is nothing like what it used to be 30 years ago sadly.

Asturias56
14th Jul 2023, 07:47
The problem is that the Airport is EXACTLY as it was 30 years ago - a total lack of investment , maintenance, upgrades, vision means it's sadly down-at heel

nivsy
14th Jul 2023, 08:35
The problem is that the Airport is EXACTLY as it was 30 years ago - a total lack of investment , maintenance, upgrades, vision means it's sadly down-at heel
Oh I dunno back then they had Northwest, American, Air Canada and even BA operating a L.1011 to New York, all from what now is the low cost carrier pier!! Not forgetting a wide range of IT summer services with various airlines. Better then I suggest.

Skipness One Foxtrot
14th Jul 2023, 14:05
Well 1993 was the largest expansion the airport had seen with a whole new international pier going up with 7 airbridges to facilitate all those newly acqiured transatlantic flights. They had NWA, AC,AA, UA and BA all flying scheduled transatlantic, the future was apparently bright except that yields had been driven to nothing by overcapacity. NWA wouldn't even get to use the new facilites. There's no point, or even an ROI in building more given it already has more facilities than it needs. It does feel like a museum to the past though, I get what you mean. It's been refreshed of course but I was boarding a SF340 last month trying to imagine what it would have looked like seeing a Calledonian TriStar parking on the reconfigured Stand 1A from the old pier. Glory days have moved East am afraid.

Asturias56
14th Jul 2023, 15:42
my point was it that 30 years ago it had a future (or so we thought) but it's like the land that time forgot. Edinborough a long way from perfect but they've moved on, even Aberdeen has dome something, GLA hasn't

ATNotts
14th Jul 2023, 16:49
Glasgow Airport is essentially collateral damage from Scottish devolution and the rise in prominence of Edinburgh as a capital on the international rather than domestic UK stage.

Asturias56
15th Jul 2023, 08:16
I think it pre dates that TBH - it's part of the collapse of effective local govt etc that set in around then

nivsy
15th Jul 2023, 09:45
Let's not also forget possible poor airport management, non dynamic thinking and poor negotiation perhaps. The airport authorities seem to get excited over the opening of a pie shop rather than dynamic airlines.

Breathe
15th Jul 2023, 10:12
Glasgow Airport is essentially collateral damage from Scottish devolution and the rise in prominence of Edinburgh as a capital on the international rather than domestic UK stage.
I've never seen any real evidence for this theory that devolution had any direct effect on the rise of traffic at EDI.

nivsy reason is the more probably reason of the decline of traffic and airlines operating from GLA. Although I'd disagree at not getting excited about a pie shop, after all who doesn't like a good pie? :)

GeorgeNTravels
22nd Jul 2023, 22:43
Couple of new routes announced recently, outline below

easyJet - Hurghada 2x week from November 8th (allegedly year round but currently only on sale for this winter)
BACF - Now offering a Saturday flight on LCY this winter
Jet2 - Verona 1x week from May 8th
Southwind - Antalya 2x week from April 6th (on behalf of Holiday Best)
Southwind - Dalaman 1x week from May 16th (on behalf of Holiday Best)

TUI W24/25 also shows that cruise flights to MBJ have been replaced by 2 flights to LaRomana

GeorgeNTravels
16th Aug 2023, 23:26
June 2023 pax figures = 763,264

This is an increase of 10% on June last year but is still down 19% on June 2019

dmkc
26th Aug 2023, 17:17
BA8721 to LCY tomorrow (Sun) picked up a + 2h 35 delay already - any word on what the issue is (Something going pop somewhere tech wise was a though)

CabinCrewe
26th Aug 2023, 18:52
one of the Sunday LCYs is dependent on an inbound Bologna cruise charter. Not sure if that’s relevant

GeorgeNTravels
26th Aug 2023, 19:01
BA8721 to LCY tomorrow (Sun) picked up a + 2h 35 delay already - any word on what the issue is (Something going pop somewhere tech wise was a though)

There is normally 3 E190’s over the weekend. Two are used by TUI and a cruise charter and one is usually spare/maintenance.

On Sundays one flies one to Malaga and one to Bologna and one flies to LCY at 1105.

One aircraft appears to have a gone tech and as a result the third aircraft is now being used to operate to Bologna.

If the third aircraft is not ready by tomorrow afternoon then I would expect the 1540 flight to be cancelled or delayed

dmkc
26th Aug 2023, 19:11
There is normally 3 E190’s over the weekend. Two are used by TUI and a cruise charter and one is usually spare/maintenance.

On Sundays one flies one to Malaga and one to Bologna and one flies to LCY at 1105.

One aircraft appears to have a gone tech and as a result the third aircraft is now being used to operate to Bologna.

If the third aircraft is not ready by tomorrow afternoon then I would expect the 1540 flight to be cancelled or delayed

Great insight folks - thank you very much :-)

What's the arrival times of the TUI / Cruise charters back to GLA, just so I can potentially keep an eye on the inbound jet?
Thanks so much

GeorgeNTravels
26th Aug 2023, 19:37
Great insight folks - thank you very much :-)

What's the arrival times of the TUI / Cruise charters back to GLA, just so I can potentially keep an eye on the inbound jet?
Thanks so much

No worries, Bologna is scheduled for 1300 and Malaga is scheduled for 1340

dmkc
26th Aug 2023, 20:03
Thanks again :-)

GeorgeNTravels
26th Aug 2023, 23:12
Thanks again :-)

The affected aircraft has now been fixed and is being used to fly the rescheduled Mahon flight at 0930.

As a result there are 3 E190’s in use tomorrow morning meaning the 1105 LCY will be delayed until they return.

Inbound from Mahon is scheduled in to arrive at 1550 tomorrow afternoon

GeorgeNTravels
27th Aug 2023, 19:48
The affected aircraft has now been fixed and is being used to fly the rescheduled Mahon flight at 0930.

As a result there are 3 E190’s in use tomorrow morning meaning the 1105 LCY will be delayed until they return.

Inbound from Mahon is scheduled in to arrive at 1550 tomorrow afternoon

Well this ended up not happening as planned.

The rescheduled Mahon ended up diverting to Palma due to poor weather. As a result the inbound flight has a six hour delay.

The 1540 LCY flight was cancelled as a result.

QEC
30th Aug 2023, 10:16
Just noticed on the Edinburgh thread that they're looking at US pre-clearance, would this if it became reality be the absolute end of any possible resurgence in US scheduled services from Glasgow?

LOGICAL
30th Aug 2023, 12:12
The Orlando flights will end up returning to GLA at some point. The population of Greater Glasgow is almost twice that of EDI. Virgin made a mistake moving albeit apparently at the instruction of Delta. The BA flight to LGW is nicknamed the Disney express for a reason.

The average GLA family flying for their holiday won’t be aware of or I suspect care much about pre clearance. Americans wanting to visit Edinboro are a different market and EDI caters for that reasonably well. Pre clearance may appeal to them and be a draw.

GLA has obviously suffered with EDI but that won’t last forever, much the same way that BHX has started to pick up flights that would have gone to MAN or LGW that would have gone to LHR, this may be for many reasons such as lack of slots (LHR) or infrastructure that can’t cope (EDI) or ongoing development (MAN). GLA is a little down but not out!.

tartan 201
30th Aug 2023, 13:15
The Orlando flights will end up returning to GLA at some point. The population of Greater Glasgow is almost twice that of EDI. Virgin made a mistake moving albeit apparently at the instruction of Delta. The BA flight to LGW is nicknamed the Disney express for a reason.

The part I've emboldened is undeniable true, but the issue is more how accessible each airport is to the population it serves rather than simply the size of that population. Take as an example a journey from the A726 at junction 7 of the M8 as a reasonable proxy for the Coatbridge / Airdrie / Bellshill part of the Greater Glasgow conurbation. Google Maps shows a car journey time of 30-50 minutes to arrive at EDI for 0900 (source (https://goo.gl/maps/F3SqxkkRF12u16Nr7)) and 28-50 minutes to arrive at GLA for the same time (source (https://goo.gl/maps/jYcLTVSMhdwLnxr87)). So having a larger population isn't necessarily of benefit to GLA if a fair chunk of that population would find it just as quick to drive to EDI as to GLA. (I appreciate travel times vary by time of day and there'll no doubt be times when my example journey would be quicker to GLA than to EDI).

Furthermore, there is a general trend of the population of central Scotland moving eastwards. The population projections to 2043 (source (https://www.scotpho.org.uk/population-dynamics/population-estimates-and-projections/data/population-projections/#:~:text=By%20council,and%20Glasgow%20City%20(36%2C000).)) shown below show that population of the local authorities in the eastern part of central Scotland is generally projected to increase at a faster rate than those to the west (some of which are predicted to decrease in population). (I appreciate that there's some - e.g. East Renfrewshire - that buck that general trend.)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/705x505/screenshot_2023_08_30_135234_f18a5f9b965aa819c737c0dd0326a6e a87514a74.jpg
Looking at that graph, would you rather be running an airport on the western side of Edinburgh or one on the western side of Glasgow?

Anyway, to answer QEC's question, the wisdom of the forum seems to be that a) US pre-clearance at EDI won't happen and b) if it did it would be of little benefit. Time, as ever, will tell.

LOGICAL
30th Aug 2023, 13:33
A fair response but why do people when making journey comparisons for the GLA EDI journey times use the Kingston Bridge/M8 when the M74 extension is quicker?.

Glaswegians I’m sure would still prefer to fly from their local airport less than 10 miles away over a 45 mile motorway journey to Edinburgh regardless of the reported travel times.

Population growth shown is to 2043 which means Edinburgh overtaking Glasgow is years away if ever.

I do think it’s possible Edinburgh may achieve pre clearance what I’m saying is it won’t affect your average Glasgow family going on holiday to Florida.

tictack67
6th Sep 2023, 14:33
Any news on the return of the EK evening flight? Surely by now if it's as busy as we are told then they need to up capacity. Glasgow Airport Ltd should be pulling out all the stops, especially after all the money they spent on a triple airbridge (£8 million) for one flight a day

GeorgeNTravels
6th Sep 2023, 19:56
Any news on the return of the EK evening flight? Surely by now if it's as busy as we are told then they need to up capacity. Glasgow Airport Ltd should be pulling out all the stops, especially after all the money they spent on a triple airbridge (£8 million)

They still hold slots for it, but given we’ve heard nothing yet my guess would be April for the start of S24

GeorgeNTravels
9th Sep 2023, 17:31
From what I can see easyJet are reducing based ops this winter from 5 aircraft to 4 and are using more away based aircraft for domestics.

EJU will take over the operation of Barcelona this winter before returning to EZY ops next April.

Breathe
1st Oct 2023, 18:42
Some potentially good news with Glasgow named as a Future Route in this Turkish Airlines presentation (page 11).

https://investor.turkishairlines.com/documents/presentations/turkish-airlines-2023-roadshow-presentation(1).pdf

GeorgeNTravels
16th Oct 2023, 15:31
More flights added by Air Transat for next summer meaning they go daily about 5 weeks earlier than planned and will run daily for longer, summary of when flights added below.

Monday - 9 extra flights added (2 added in May, 3 in June, 1 in September and 3 in October)
Tuesday - 5 extra flights added (5 added in April)
Wednesday - 5 extra flights added (4 in May and 1 in June)
Thursday - 3 extra flights added (3 in May)
Friday - 1 extra flight added (1 in October)
Saturday - 2 extra flights added (2 in May)
Sunday - remains the same

Overall - 25 round trips added adding approx 9,400 more seats.

Southwind operating Antalya 1x week on Wednesday mornings

WIZZ operating BUD and OTP. BUD scheduled for Tuesday and Saturdays and OTP scheduled for Wednesday and Sunday

Loganair extending Donegal operations and will now operate for the full season 2x week with an increase to 4x week during peak summer periods operated by the ATR fleet.

TUI Increases outlined below as there are a few

AYT - Inc from 3 to 5 weekly
NBE - Inc from 1 to 2 weekly
ACE - Inc from 2 to 3 weekly
PMI - Inc from 3 to 5 weekly
REU - Inc from 3 to 4 weekly
RHO - Inc from 2 to 3 weekly
TFS - Inc from 3 to 5 weekly
ZTH - Inc from 1 to 2 weekly
VRN - Inc from 1 to 2 weekly
SSH - Op 2 weekly (was winter only)
SID - Op 1 weekly (was winter only)
MLB - Peak season extended from 4 to 5 weeks
CUN - Peak season extended from 4 to 5 weeks

Jet2 additions and changes outlined below (There are more, still looking for them)

VRN - Op 1 weekly
BOJ - Inc from 1 to 2 weekly
IBZ - Early season start
ADB - Early season start
RHO - Early season start
REU - Early season start
BJV - Early season start

GeorgeNTravels
18th Oct 2023, 19:04
Reported elsewhere but GLA gaining 2 new routes with LS starting in November 2024. '

RAK will be 2x week and exclusively operated by Jet2
AGA will primarily be 1x week and will see competition from easyJet 1x week as well

Both routes to be operated by 737-800's.

It does appear that things are starting to turn around at GLA since Derek Provan stepped down at the start of the year.

GeorgeNTravels
8th Nov 2023, 18:14
Some changes to report that have appeared in the last 48 hours or so.

AGP - Increases from 6 to 7 weekly
ALC - Swaps to being operated by EJU
BHD - Increases from 3 to 7 weekly
BER - Increases to 4 weekly outside of peak
BOD - Increases from 2 to 3 weekly
LCA - NEW 2x week service (summer only)
LIS - Full season loaded at 2x week
NBE - NEW 2x week service (year round)
OPO - Operated by EZY and not EJU

PinOnTheRight
8th Nov 2023, 18:24
Some changes to report that have appeared in the last 48 hours or so.

AGP - Increases from 6 to 7 weekly
ALC - Swaps to being operated by EJU
BHD - Increases from 3 to 7 weekly
BER - Increases to 4 weekly outside of peak
BOD - Increases from 2 to 3 weekly
LCA - NEW 2x week service (summer only)
LIS - Full season loaded at 2x week
NBE - NEW 2x week service (year round)
OPO - Operated by EZY and not EJU

Is TFS a winter only route? I was looking for April but not available.

GeorgeNTravels
8th Nov 2023, 19:49
Is TFS a winter only route? I was looking for April but not available.

Currently yes it's winter only.