PDA

View Full Version : Altona refinery to close

airspace alpha
10th Feb 2021, 07:22
So the Altona refinery will be no more. Impacts on aviation?
for Avgas probably b#gger all as its already imported. But Jet A1 for the mel juhi pipeline and others?
where from? Strategic implications? Interesting.

Oriana
10th Feb 2021, 07:28
No problem! Australia is storing it's strategic fuel reserve in the US SPR! :hmm::ugh::ugh::ugh:​​​​​​​:ugh:​​​​​​​:ugh:​​​​​​​:ugh:​​​​ ​​​:ugh:​​​​​​​:ugh:​​​​​​​:ugh:​​​​​​​:ugh:​​​​​​​:ugh:​​​​ ​​​:ugh:​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

jrfsp
10th Feb 2021, 07:35
That only leaves Lytton (QLD) as an operational refinery. which is possibly earmarked for closure also.

https://www.ogj.com/refining-processing/refining/operations/article/14184926/lytton-refinery-facing-closure#:~:text=Ampol's%20Lytton%20oil%20refinery%20in,propo sed%20%242.5%20billion%20(Aus.)&text=The%20Lytton%20plant%20has%20recorded,to%20%24141%20mil lion%20(Aus.)

Sorry, EDIT, Geelong is still operational

Capt SFB
10th Feb 2021, 08:12
And Geelong makes Avgas and is also connected to the JUHI (and has more throughput than Altona).

As long as we can get imports, there will be no change to supply. Our high wages (eye-watering level in the oil industry) and lack of investment over the decades, mean that Altona's demise was predictable.

SFB

BravoSierraLima
10th Feb 2021, 11:00
There is a gas condensate plant planned to be operational in Darwin from 2023. I’m no chemical engineer but I believe its byproducts are planned to be petrol, diesel and jet fuel, among others. Some light internet searching also shows they (Darwin Clean Fuels) propose to generate 60,000-100,000 barrels per day of these products, whereas the Altona facility produces 90,000bpd.

While I feel sorry for those affected workers, maybe the future of the refining and processing industry isn’t so dark, it’s just heading north for the remaining decades it has left?

Paragraph377
10th Feb 2021, 11:30
As long as we can get imports, there will be no change to supply. Our high wages (eye-watering level in the oil industry) and lack of investment over the decades, mean that Altona's demise was predictable.
SFB
Our lack of adequate supply and storage facilities is a disgrace. A couple of weeks worth of juice at any given time. Let’s see how far that stretches in the event of a war. And remember, we are America’s puppet so the risk of us being dragged into a major war in this region would see us without enough fuel of our own. Since Scomo is spending hundreds of billions and putting us in debt to the tune of a trillion dollars he may as well spend a few billion more on fuel storage. Muppets.

Sunfish
10th Feb 2021, 18:39
What could possibly go wrong?

Maggie Island
10th Feb 2021, 19:04
Let’s see how far that stretches in the event of a war. And remember, we are America’s puppet so the risk of us being dragged into a major war in this region would see us without enough fuel of our own.

I’d say the opposite, if we don’t bow down to American wishes then there’s a fat chance we’d see a drop of the strategic reserve.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
11th Feb 2021, 03:19
Whatever happened to 'our' Bass Strait' oil supplies..??

Genuine question tks guys n gals.....is it / are they exhausted already..??

minigundiplomat
11th Feb 2021, 03:21
I'm sure Chairman Dan will address it in the Party's 5 year plan. In the meantime, I am sure Victorians can run jets on their own brilliance if fuel stocks run low.