PDA

View Full Version : Fancy being an Astronaut, ESA is recruiting

NutLoose
9th Feb 2021, 12:49
See

https://www.esa.int/Newsroom/Press_Releases/Call_for_media_ESA_seeks_new_astronauts_-_applications_open_31_March_2021

Ken Scott
9th Feb 2021, 13:37
“Diversity at ESA should not only address the origin, age, background or gender of our astronauts, but also perhaps physical disabilities. To make this dream a reality, alongside the astronaut recruitment I am launching the Parastronaut Feasibility Project – an innovation whose time has come."

Excellent news!! There I was thinking that being an old has-been retired pilot with fading eyesight was a bar to my dreams of being an astronaut but no longer.

The only obstacle might be being a bloke, but I only need to self-declare myself as female and ‘Robert is your Dad’s brother’. Worked for Eddie Izzard (recently voted as I understand ‘best female comedian’).

Asturias56
9th Feb 2021, 17:02
I doubt they'll be taking many Brits..................

Ken Scott
9th Feb 2021, 17:48
ESA has 22 Member States. The national bodies responsible for space in these countries sit on ESA’s governing Council: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

As can be seen from this list, not all member countries of the European Union are members of ESA and not all ESA Member States are members of the EU. ESA is an entirely independent organisation although it maintains close ties with the EU through an ESA/EC Framework Agreement. The two organisations share a joint European Strategy for Space and have together developed the European Space Policy.

Canada is an associate member too. ESA is independent so shouldn’t hold a grudge against us...!

olster
9th Feb 2021, 22:35
I think that you can now self identify as an astronaut rather than do all those tedious tests. I think we have come a long way from the Mercury Seven...

Chris Kebab
10th Feb 2021, 07:33
I doubt they'll be taking many Brits..................
Got a buddy works for ESA, she reckons it's a place where national politics get firmly left at the door, which is good to hear. And on the astronaut JO, there will almost certainly be Brits involved in the selection process.

dead_pan
10th Feb 2021, 09:44
Got a buddy works for ESA, she reckons it's a place where national politics get firmly left at the door, which is good to hear.

She doesn't work at ESTEC then? To be fair, some of the Brits working there were the worst offenders.

A_Van
10th Feb 2021, 17:23
She doesn't work at ESTEC then? To be fair, some of the Brits working there were the worst offenders.

Both are correct. I have been working with ESA (and ESTEC in particular) since early 90's on joint international projects and visited ESTEC every 2-3 months sometimes. ESTEC is indeed a nice place where many nationalities work in a friendly atmosphere. To a large extent this is because The Netherlands, as a host country, is very comfortable for foreigners.
I recall only one funny episode: going through a long corridor I noticed a hand-written plate on one office saying "only fans of Celtic work here" (I assume it was about football). I asked my ESTEC friend whether it was a joke, and he answered: "50/50, really tough guys inside and you'd better not discuss sport issues with them" :-)

As for UK astronauts, ESA works according to a so-called "geographic return" principle. It implies that funding of the industrial contractors from a particular country should be balanced with the budget that this country allocates to ESA. The same for the number of staff. In 90's there were times when the UK decreased its funding and the number of British engineers and scientists also decreased. Accordingly, when ESA started sending astronauts to space, there were surprisingly nearly no one from the UK (France and Germany prevailed). Only in the last 10-15 years the situation improved.

Chris Kebab
10th Feb 2021, 18:14
No she's been at ESOC last couple of years - speaks very highly of it, thirty nationalities or something similar.

dead_pan
11th Feb 2021, 10:35
Both are correct. I have been working with ESA (and ESTEC in particular) since early 90's on joint international projects and visited ESTEC every 2-3 months sometimes. ESTEC is indeed a nice place where many nationalities work in a friendly atmosphere. To a large extent this is because The Netherlands, as a host country, is very comfortable for foreigners.
I recall only one funny episode: going through a long corridor I noticed a hand-written plate on one office saying "only fans of Celtic work here" (I assume it was about football). I asked my ESTEC friend whether it was a joke, and he answered: "50/50, really tough guys inside and you'd better not discuss sport issues with them" :-)

I recall a couple of the local Dutch hoteliers were less than friendly to any visiting German staff. I believe their gripe was about their ongoing dominance in football and something about some war or other. Of course we Brits never even thought about that stuff, let alone raise it in conversation ;)

As for UK astronauts, ESA works according to a so-called "geographic return" principle.

Ah yes, Juste Retour. Many a happy debate about that too. Again I recall the UK did quite well out of that over the years.

NutLoose
11th Feb 2021, 12:49
No good for BV though, he'd want to take his own bog along for the trip ;)

SimonPaddo
11th Feb 2021, 14:57
UK eschewed manned space flight in favour of science and earth observation for a long time. Now they are back in and funding it there will be a % of Brits selected. One memory of ESTEC was having lunch in the canteen and everyone spoke in their own language and everyone else understood, apart from me!

A_Van
11th Feb 2021, 16:28
.... One memory of ESTEC was having lunch in the canteen and everyone spoke in their own language and everyone else understood, apart from me!

One of my memories of the first visit to ESTEC was a shocking surprise that so many people there spoke relatively poor English. At least, worse than I expected. Especially in terms of pronunciation. Many French and Italian guys just did not care about it (though their written papers were quite good), and it was a bit stressful until I got used to such “variations”. Poor Great English language, which I loved to study at school. A flip side of being a means of international communications

NutLoose
11th Feb 2021, 17:42
I wonder what the chances are of ever making it into orbit.

Tay Cough
11th Feb 2021, 21:45
Clearly I’m suitably qualified.

However I’m not prepared to go until they fit doors which go “shhh” and I have a machine which responds to “tea Earl Grey hot”.

Make it so.

Bob Viking
12th Feb 2021, 05:27
No good for BV though, he'd want to take his own bog along for the trip ;)

And my own shower Nutloose. Standards, dear boy. Standards.

BV

NutLoose
12th Feb 2021, 09:28
:E

TURIN
12th Feb 2021, 10:03
Clearly I’m suitably qualified.

However I’m not prepared to go until they fit doors which go “shhh” and I have a machine which responds to “tea Earl Grey hot”.

Make it so.
It will probably just produce a brown liquid that tastes almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

TURIN
12th Feb 2021, 10:05
I think that you can now self identify as an astronaut rather than do all those tedious tests. I think we have come a long way from the Mercury Seven...
Indeed, if you can believe the story, they were personally responsible for shutting down the female astronaut program.