PDA

View Full Version : Bell 206/505 in T-hangar

TBMfun
5th Feb 2021, 19:18
Perhaps a dumb question and if so, apologies - I’m a fixed wing guy and heli noob.

What’s the feasibility of keeping a two-bladed heli like a 206 or 505 in a t-hangar whose dimensions allow for, but also necessitate, a configuration where the rotor is rotated 90deg from its typical “parked” forward/aft axis? Presumably you’d need some sort of rotor tie-down to keep it in that position while moving the helicopter in/out of the hangar, but otherwise, any reason why that’s not a feasible idea?

aa777888
5th Feb 2021, 20:11
It sounds like the T-hangar in question is simply not long enough front-to-back. Can't see why it wouldn't work. It would be difficult to secure the blades in that position with tie-downs. You probably don't need to. If the ship in question has a rotor brake you could potentially use that while moving the helicopter.

wrench1
5th Feb 2021, 20:40
What’s the feasibility of keeping a two-bladed heli like a 206 or 505 in a t-hangar whose dimensions allow for, but also necessitate, a configuration where the rotor is rotated 90deg from its typical “parked” forward/aft axis?
Keep in mind there is a dimension variance between a Bell 206B, 206L, and 505. Don't know of any 505s but know of several 206Ls in large T-hangars (50Wx40L) where the blades remain inline with aircraft but aircraft is parked sideways in hangar. However, most private helicopter owners I know use dollies and keep aircraft in larger hangars parked off to the side and usually at a discount.
Presumably you’d need some sort of rotor tie-down to keep it in that position while moving the helicopter in/out of the hangar,
After turning the blades 90 deg use the fore/aft blade tiedowns to secure each blade to either a crosstube or ground wheel skid lug.

TBMfun
5th Feb 2021, 21:24
Awesome - thanks both.

Funny enough hadn't even considered the possibility of simply parking sideways in the "front" part of the hangar. Hangar has 44' door and 206/505 are 39'-42.5' tip-to-tail. Hell of a tight fit but still possible I suppose assuming you could find a way to push it straight in sideways.

wrench1
5th Feb 2021, 21:56
I suppose assuming you could find a way to push it straight in sideways.
No issue. One guy has a custom dolly that has all lockable caster wheels. He simply drives up in front of T-hangar, unlocks wheels, moves tow bar to the dolly side and pushes it in. The rest of the the poor people just use the OEM ground handle wheels and back it in at a slight angle then when the wheels are in the hangar simply pivot the nose over and you're in. Where there's a will there's a way. Good luck.

malabo
8th Feb 2021, 16:19
There's a few in T-hangars around here. Both on a dolly and on ground handling wheels. Simply spin the blades crossways as has already been discussed. No biggie. Haven't seen one with blades tied when crossways but all the hangars have doors so no need.