PDA

View Full Version : Sqn. Ldr. John Potter, aka Potts

morrisman68
3rd Feb 2021, 22:04
John died in his sleep last night, having wrestled with Parkinson's Disease for some years. His flying career spanned the Piston Provost, Vampires, the Vickers Valiant on 207 Sqn. at Marham, fast jet conversion on the Gnat at Valley and thence to the F-4 at Wattisham via Brawdy, where he eventually settled as an instructor. He became a firm friend of 'Puddy' Catt, God rest his soul.

Should anyone wish details of his last flight please PM me, though I expect the limit of 12 persons will be soon reached. I shall miss my big brother.

Thanks for reading!

Ben

tarantonight
4th Feb 2021, 14:24
John died in his sleep last night, having wrestled with Parkinson's Disease for some years. His flying career spanned the Piston Provost, Vampires, the Vickers Valiant on 207 Sqn. at Marham, fast jet conversion on the Gnat at Valley and thence to the F-4 at Wattisham via Brawdy, where he eventually settled as an instructor. He became a firm friend of 'Puddy' Catt, God rest his soul.

Should anyone wish details of his last flight please PM me, though I expect the limit of 12 persons will be soon reached. I shall miss my big brother.

Thanks for reading!

Ben

Sounds like he had a cracking flying carrier - similar vintage to TN Snr who started out on the Piston Provost and Vampire.........

RIP

NutLoose
4th Feb 2021, 17:26
My sincere condolences to you Ben and your families loss, blue skies and rest in peace.

sharpend
5th Feb 2021, 10:18
Sad to hear. RIP Potts.

Maxibon
5th Feb 2021, 12:56
Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about Potts. As with the other thread on the Hawk photo, his memory is there on my wall and memories of the broken nose from the windsurf I bought from him (I fell backwards and the boom/mast connector clonked me in the schnozz!). A real gentleman whom I flew with on a number of occasions at Brawdy. My sympathies and prayers to you and your family.

Max

morrisman68
6th Sep 2022, 08:52
As and when COVID restrictions were lifted in Wales and by the Church of Wales, we were able to celebrate John's life at St. Bridget's Church, St. Brides, Pembrokeshire on Saturday 13th August. His ashes were laid to rest in the countryside he loved so well, overlooking the see. His Boss at Brawdy, Wing Commander Rhodes, gave him a fly-past in his Twister.

Ben

jim's brother
7th Sep 2022, 19:01
Hi Ben,

I didn't see the original thread, so I'm pleased your update has brought it back to the front page.

I'm very sorry to hear this sad news. Back in the '70s, John was my instructor on the Gnat at RAF Valley, and I couldn't have wished for a more pleasant person to fly with. I wasn't really very good, but with the patience of a saint - and more than a little bravery at times - John helped me make the grade. I'm sure that, without John's assistance, I wouldn't have continued to a most enjoyable career as a pilot.

RIP, John, and thanks - and my belated condolences to you, Ben, and family.

John

Bill Macgillivray
7th Sep 2022, 19:22
Sad news, blue skies John!! Condolences to the family.

Bill