PDA

View Full Version : Eye Tests - Have They Changed

Fonsini
29th Jan 2021, 08:45
Back in 1982 during my first (and only) meeting with an RAF recruiter, I remember asking him about the eye test requirements for a pilot, and then many years later was surprised to read that the first thing that John Nichol did after being shot down in the Gulf War was to plink out his contact lenses.

Have eye test requirements changed significantly over the years, I would imagine that poor colour vision is still a hard no. Any experiences to share ?

Wensleydale
29th Jan 2021, 09:52
Entry levels for eyesight are high. If eyesight deteriorates during service then it does not necessarily mean an early exit and you can wear corrective spectacles/contact lenses. It will affect your med cat however, if that drops too far then you can be grounded or even medically discharged.

threeputt
29th Jan 2021, 10:41
Fonsini
I think you will find that it was John Peters with the contact lenses.
Threeputt
:ok:

ex82watcher
29th Jan 2021, 15:34
Don't know if this is true or not -but it's as told to me...

A few years ago I engaged the services of a chimney- sweep,who happened to be blind in one eye.Chatting to him as he was working,I asked how long he had been doing the job etc,he said that he was a retired Fireman.so I asked if he had been injured on duty?He said that he'd always been that way,but that at his initial medical,when instructed to cover-up one eye when reading the chart,he'd covered the same eye both times,passed the test and got away with it.Some years later though,he became a driver,and after a few accidents,he was sent for another eye-test,and the doctor happened to be the same Medical Officer that had done the initial medical,only this time the problem was revealed,but perhaps due to embarrassment,the only comment made on the paperwork was that there had been no change in the officer's sight since the initial examination.

Runaway Gun
29th Jan 2021, 16:56
Not that I can see....

Fonsini
29th Jan 2021, 22:40
Fonsini
I think you will find that it was John Peters with the contact lenses.
Threeputt
:ok:

Quite right, thanks threeputt :)